Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuse Box Location 1999 Response LX

We have had our BU for a year and we absoultely love it. Runs great and drives like a Corvette. Towards the end of last season we lost power to the dash; the spedometer, tac, lights, AUX, and the hour meter stopped working. I have PP so I dont have to worry about the speed which is nice and the bilge and blower still have power. The CD player was pretty much shot when we bought it and seemed to have a short as well, it will be replaced this weekend.

I know that the reset fuse buttons are located on the panel below the throttle and I have messed with it a little with no luck. Does anyone know where the fuse box is so I can replace the fuses and see if that sovles it? Or has anyone experienced this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Welcome.gif:werule:

I may be wrong, if I am someone in the know will correct me, but I don't think there is a "fuse" box. I believe there is a breaker panel under the drivers armrest, or around there somewhere.

More than likely it is the computer (referred to as the MDC) that runs your gauges. There isn't a separate fuse box that runs them that I'm aware of. Look under your dash and you should see a black box with the speedo tubes connected to it. I suppose you could trouble shoot with a voltmeter to make sure you have power going to it, but not coming out to the respective gauges.

This is a common problem, and I'm on my third MDC...all of which were warrantied, but the next one will be on me I'm sure. Mine was last replaced in 2002, so knock on wood, perhaps I got a good one now. Sometimes everything goes dead, but when the second of mine went bad the only symptom was a dead tach.

More than likely it is the computer (referred to as the MDC) that runs your gauges. There isn't a separate fuse box that runs them that I'm aware of. Look under your dash and you should see a black box with the speedo tubes connected to it. I suppose you could trouble shoot with a voltmeter to make sure you have power going to it, but not coming out to the respective gauges.

This is a common problem, and I'm on my third MDC...all of which were warrantied, but the next one will be on me I'm sure. Mine was last replaced in 2002, so knock on wood, perhaps I got a good one now. Sometimes everything goes dead, but when the second of mine went bad the only symptom was a dead tach.

I appreciate the help; i will look into it this weekend. What about the running lights? The MDC wouldn't control those would it?

Did you loose your running lights (the red/green bow light and white stern lamp), or just the gauge illumination?

I'm guessing it's the MMDC too, usually it's due to water from the speedo lines freezing during the winter, which cracks the body and allows water to leak onto the chip the next time the boat is run.

If you've got Perfect Pass and that ends up being the problem, disconnect your speedos to help prevent the problem from happening again.

I occasionally had problems with the gauges (one or all) stopping working. It seems to be related to an intermittent power problem that I resolved. If the gauges did stop working, they would not restart after restarting the engine. At those times, pulling the lanyard & reconnecting would reset the computer & the gauges would work again.

Best of luck & hopefully you don't need a new computer.

The MDC does not control the lights or AUX. It could be a bad ground going from the dash to the bus under the dash or dash bus to the battery too. A loose or corroded connection could take out the dash ground (or power) without necessarily affecting the ignition.