Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boom for teaching kids

Badger

I've been reading some old posts about booms, but want to ask a specific question.

I'd like to get a boom to teach my young kids (age 6 and 4) this summer. There's a lot of compliments about the Beeman's boom, but I see on the BI, that I could get an extension with thinner diameter, that might help my kids hold on better.

I don't have any experience at all with booms, so the obvious to you all, may not be for me. I will probably try to barefoot once, and then wack my face on the water and that will be it.

Is the BI the best choice in this situation?

Also, will the BI contour fit my '06 iRide? I see the XTI and RLXI have unique sizes.

Ken

I've been reading some old posts about booms, but want to ask a specific question.

I'd like to get a boom to teach my young kids (age 6 and 4) this summer. There's a lot of compliments about the Beeman's boom, but I see on the BI, that I could get an extension with thinner diameter, that might help my kids hold on better.

I don't have any experience at all with booms, so the obvious to you all, may not be for me. I will probably try to barefoot once, and then wack my face on the water and that will be it.

Also, will the BI contour fit my '06 iRide? I see the XTI and RLXI have unique sizes.

Ken

I have also looked at the BI booms but I have a vRide. They have a nice one for the vRide but not sure how well it mounts to the rear pylon for a v drive.

My friend has a BI for his Nautique direct drive and he really likes it. Has had it for 7 years and taught several adults and kids to ski with it and barefoot.

Ken

I have also looked at the BI booms but I have a vRide. They have a nice one for the vRide but not sure how well it mounts to the rear pylon for a v drive.

My friend has a BI for his Nautique direct drive and he really likes it. Has had it for 7 years and taught several adults and kids to ski with it and barefoot.

BI booms are good gooms they are very heavy duty! In my eyes some what too much so. They are very heavy to handle which when dealing with setting it up in the water you may drop a peice and never get it back.

BI does do a nice job on the smaller diameter for the kids. But remember when you extend the boom that makes it that much hard the steer the boat as well. I believe that the contoured boom will fit your I ride but I would call to make sure. The reason the RLXI has a different boom is because of the windsheild. and XTI of the short pylon. As far as the Vride I'm sure they have the mounting issue covered.

The other option for a smaller handle is to wrap a handle to the boom and have it very close to the bar that is what I do for the smaller ones and ladies often.

Hope this helps.

I have a Beemans for my Response LXi. I do use the extension, which I would not go without. I also have the smaller diameter grip for the smaller hands. I personally am not a fan of it. The primary reason is because it is too close to the "normal" boom. I have found it a little easy to get knuckles scraped using it. I have only used mine a handful of times and would be willing to sell it for deal. Are you familiar with how they mount?

I have a Beemans for my Response LXi. I do use the extension, which I would not go without. I also have the smaller diameter grip for the smaller hands. I personally am not a fan of it. The primary reason is because it is too close to the "normal" boom. I have found it a little easy to get knuckles scraped using it. I have only used mine a handful of times and would be willing to sell it for deal. Are you familiar with how they mount?

So are you saying that Beeman's has a smaller diameter option also? You'd have to explain the "knuckle scraper" part more. Obviously I don't want to get a product where my kids knuckles are in danger. Are you offering to sell an entire boom, or just an extension for a Beemans that you don't use?

I only familiar with the mounting from looking at pictures. I'm not too concerned about dropping a heavier boom in the lake, as I'm located on a nice sandy, shallow, clear area.

So are you saying that Beeman's has a smaller diameter option also? You'd have to explain the "knuckle scraper" part more. Obviously I don't want to get a product where my kids knuckles are in danger. Are you offering to sell an entire boom, or just an extension for a Beemans that you don't use?

I only familiar with the mounting from looking at pictures. I'm not too concerned about dropping a heavier boom in the lake, as I'm located on a nice sandy, shallow, clear area.

This picture should be helpful. I am assuming S Frog is referring to the potential to scrape knuckles on the knurled "primary" boom.

post-5162-1238071089_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemac

I have used this BI extension on the Beeman boom I use to have. I now use it on an ECI boom. It is great for small hands, won't bust your knuckles, gets you a little further out and, unless something has changed, should still work with the Beeman.

I currently use an ECI Boom on a Beeman mount. Next time I will go Beeman all the way ... but will still keep this extension. Beeman didn't have a option for my LXi back in '04'.

/Steve

post-256-1238074182_thumb.jpg

Edited by ibelieve

Wow...Dave- how old is that girl? That's awesome. I could see some potential for knuckle busting with that type of handle.

Steve - That's the extension I was looking at for the BI boom thinking it would be a good option. It looks like it's pinned somehow for attachment. Did you have to drill your ECI boom to get it to attach?

All - how do handles attach to a boom. Do I have to buy a specific handle in order to use it on a boom?

Wow...Dave- how old is that girl? That's awesome. I could see some potential for knuckle busting with that type of handle.

Steve - That's the extension I was looking at for the BI boom thinking it would be a good option. It looks like it's pinned somehow for attachment. Did you have to drill your ECI boom to get it to attach?

All - how do handles attach to a boom. Do I have to buy a specific handle in order to use it on a boom?

You don't need a specfic handle for the boom. However if your barefooting I would recommend that you use a front toe handle. I has a formed shape and is not real flexible so you are not fighting the slack in the handle.

I have the Beemans boom and have been very happy with it. When I got it I had a 9 and 5 year old...both girls and they didn't have a problem with the diameter of the boom. I thought about getting the kids handle shown in davemac's picture (great job by your daughter by the way Dave!!!) but decided against it...I talked to Ron Scarpa about the extension, the "kids-handle," and the pros and cons compaired to the BI or ECI. All are good products but the Beemans has one cable versus two, is much lighter then the BI, and price wise with the extension was a little cheaper. What ever you decide on, it will be a great tool for your kids and even adults...I use it all the time!!! Good luck.

No idea...(my young daughters aren't barefooting...yet)

that is the advertisement photo from the Scarpa website that sells the Bemman stuff.

The BI extension has an allen set screw that you tighten ... I leave the extension on the boom permanently. I don't remember if there is a divot on the Beeman or ECI booms that the screw goes into but if you are concerned, you could always drill one.

We have always used a barefoot handle as it is wider, providing more stability when footing. Some of the wakeboard handles are now wider as well but make sure, if you are footing, that there is nothing on the handle or rope that could do damage to your legs if you lose the handle during a deep water start. Been there, done that ... had a handle with some metal grommets that held a float in place and it took a chunk out of my knee.

The handle is just looped over the end of the boom, much as you would attach it to a pylon. Most booms have an indented area for the rope to sit in that keeps it in place.

/Steve

Here's mine at age 7 ... didn't have a digital camera before then.

post-256-1238083215_thumb.jpg

Edited by ibelieve

Here is my daughter learning how to foot a couple months before she turned 6. I also made her a pair of barefoot trainers that helped alot.

post-1009-1238245645_thumb.jpg

That is awesome! I just hope I can get my kids on the ski trainer and then move to actual skis this summer.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

That is awesome, Frog. I just showed them to my girls (7&10) for motivation. Curious, what lake are you on?

Sheepscot lake in Palermo, Maine.

For my 3, plus several friends and relatives, we taught the kids with a set of trainers off the back of the boat.

My youngest was about 4 or 5 when she started (motivated by big brothers from the start :) .

The trainers are about 36" long (i think) and hooked together, with short ropes between the fronts and backs.

One short handle (3') goes from the front of the skis to the kids hands, a second one (25') goes to someone in the back of the boat (it does not get connected to the boat).

We always had someone in the water to help with balance. Person in the boat acts like a "quick release" when the kid starts to fall, so they dont get dragged.

As they got better, we removed the two handles, kept the skis tied together, and had them hold a short rope hooked only to the boat.

Next step was skis untied.

The whole process takes extra people, but they got used to being behind the boat and being pulled up out of the water.

Obviously, this only works for ski training, not barefooting, but i wasn't sure what you were looking to do.

I have a BI boom and you would not believe the people I have had on it and the great big smiles. I do not believe it will matter which boom you get but remember little kids may not be the only ones who end up on the end of the boom. The BI booms are heavy but when I get a 300lb person out there I do not worry about it at all. Last year I tought a 5 year old to ski and a 65 year old to ski from it. It is all about the driving, a consistent throttle and slower is most always better.

Bucky:

You will not go wrong with a BI boom. If you have any questions call Mike Seipel, he is a very helpful Cheesehead.

By the way, if you are going to be teaching people how to barefoot you should check out the "Swing." Awesome tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Badger, I don't know if you have made your decision or not but I forgot to mention that I purchased

mine through Smooth Water Man on the site. He was easy to deal with...give him a shout.

Show this to your kids to get them motivated:

http://www.creakyrowboat.com/2008/04/im-5-...r-than-you.html

I showed it to my 6 year old last summer and he said "I can do that, it's easy!". Well, obviously it wasn't as easy as he thought, but it did get him out there trying! Yahoo.gif Bought the BI small diameter extension over the winter and can't wait for him to give it a try.