Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me decide

GEH

Looking at two new VLX at two different dealers. They are the same price. A 2007 with bow ballast and a few options or a 2008 without bow ballast and fewer options. I was going with the 07 because I like the color better and wanted a bow tank, but after finding the threads on adding an integrated bow sac to the front seating, I might just get the newer boat. Any reason to get one over the other, or does it come down to color and hassling with the bow sack. My wife isn't sure about the playpen is another factor. Thanks.

Greg

I thought the bow ballast could be added to the 08, yes it makes the cost go up, but depending on if you want the newer boat it could be an option to add later.

The mechanic at my dealership told me that, so I'm assuming it is true, but not sure on the cost. He told me on the 08 you could add any options including the powerwedge (expensive), that was not true on the 07's.

Good Luck, and I think color is a big deal, you can't change that.

The '05-'08 VLX can not be retrofitted with bow ballast. Any other model from a similar time frame can have the bow tank installed, but the VLX uses different deck molds depending on whether or not the bow tank will be installed.

I too would go with the 2007 with qMLS, assuming they both have the same Wedge, engine and other major options.

The '05-'08 VLX can not be retrofitted with bow ballast. Any other model from a similar time frame can have the bow tank installed, but the VLX uses different deck molds depending on whether or not the bow tank will be installed.

I too would go with the 2007 with qMLS, assuming they both have the same Wedge, engine and other major options.

Thanks for the clarification, mine is a VTX.

Go for the 07 no mux switches and a real deck and bow ballast Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

What's wrong with the mux switches? What do you mean by a real deck?

You guys aren't impressed with the Hi Fly Integrated bow sack in the underseat storage, eh? Someone on the Modification forum said they thought the weight would be the same.

Both boats have power wedge, depth finder, air and water temp gauge, pop-up cleats,

The 07 has a 6 speaker stereo, docking lights, bow tank, dual batteries

The 08 has the rear deck walking surface and a 4 speaker stereo. None of the option differences have any value to me. I'm more interested in the programmable feature of the 08 and my wife has decided she doesn't want the playpen, so the decision maybe out of my hands unless someone has a serious reason why an 07 is better than an 08 or if the bow sack is really going to suck.

Greg

Ever used the Mux switches? It's more like going thru an Ipod menu than turning on your lights or filling the ballast.

Go for the one with the color. That would be hardest to change.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

It's not that the bow sac is going to suck, the Integrated Bow Sac is actually a really functional product, and allows you to add a good amount of weight up front. The advice was given based on the fact that the '08 has the MUX switch system, doesn't have the factory bow tank, and has the new JBL black box stereo, which most people are less than thrilled with.

Either way you go, I don't really think you can make a mistake, and if you go for the '08 based on the options, or what your wife wants, you'll have an incredible boat.

I was leary of the playpen when I got my 07 VLX. But, my experience is that everyone sitting in the front lays with their feet up and facing the front of the boat anyway so having leg space to sit down would not be a benefit for me. And if you have kids the playpen setup is actually very good, usually have three or four kids in that area. Personally, I would not get a VLX without bow ballasts and for me the stock setup is best, all tied into the electrical switches and plumbed for water inflow and outflow; I just would not want to mess with aftermarket sacs.

As, far as "deck" I think he either means the head unit for the stereo (mines a sony), not sure what they used on the 08's but read somewhere they were not as good, or he means the sundeck which on the 07 there is no step so the whole area is totally useable, doesn't the 08 have a step?

Anyway, you will be happy either way.

Edited by Sandbagger

I bought the 08. It is one of the Copes repo boats - although evidently they are referring to them as "factory incentive boats".

Greg