Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Buy a Comp Vest

Slalom Frog

After many years of faithfully floating me, my old non USCG Nevin vest may be facing retirement. I am considering purchasing a new vest. My general criteria would be:

• Front or side zip.
  • At least one buckle.
  • Thin but still offer some protection.
  • Not too flashy, no excessive graphics.
  • Used primarily for slalom.

Any suggestions/experiences from the crew?

Thanks,

SF

Edited by Slalom Frog
After many years of faithfully floating me, my old non USCG Nevin vest may be facing retirement. I am considering purchasing a new vest. My general criteria would be:

• Front or side zip.
  • At least one buckle.

Thanks,

SF

It's all personal preference, but after reading this thread Vest Discussion I don't think I will be picking up a non USCG approved vest anytime soon. I ride with someone who doesn't always wear a vest when surfing, and if he does wear one it's not USCG approved. I have no issues with what others do, I just think it may be something to think about.

• Front or side zip.
  • At least one buckle.

Thanks,

SF

It's all personal preference, but after reading this thread Vest Discussion I don't think I will be picking up a non USCG approved vest anytime soon. I ride with someone who doesn't always wear a vest when surfing, and if he does wear one it's not USCG approved. I have no issues with what others do, I just think it may be something to think about.

sorry to hijack, but I borrowed a buddies HL Catalyst and it floated me fine. I did not know it was non-cga untill after I was done riding.

To the OP are you looking for a skiing specific vest?if so the orange ones are the best and lightest. :)

I think the big, white, thick, rubber band looking, that you wear around your waist, with the metal fastner is the lightest.

Edited by Pistol Pete
I think the big, white, thick, rubber band looking, that you wear around your waist, with the metal fastner is the lightest.

The horizontal stripe effect will make me look fat (fatter really)!

I really like my Oneill The Law vest, most comfortable I've worn or skied in. It is USCG approved though but isn't bulky and doesn't absorb water. I agree with Jetskipro, I'll never wear a non-USCG vest. At my size (6'3", 200 - 205) the non approved vests float me about nose high. I like having a couple of oxygen gathering orfices above water level while resting between passes. :)

Ed

Rip Curl Stealth vest is probably the best that meets your criteria. In the US i believe it is available in both a approved and non approved version. ive tried both on and while the approved one is slightly thicker its not that noticeable. Many of the approved jackets are just as good if not better than some of the approved ones.

Dont like pullovers? My next vest will either be an eagle or oneill vest. Look freakin' sweet and probably have the most thought go into them for comfort, support where you want it and flexibility.

I've used a few of the unapproved vests & like others have said, they float me really low (220 lbs plus a 40+ lb ski)...... too low if I was ever knocked silly (again).

About the only unapproved vest I'd ever recommend (and use) is the Rubber Jungle. Thier made in Australia & tough to come by here, and their used by show skiers around the world. Their Type III approved by the Australian Coast Guard but would never get the Type III approval here in the US because they don't have any straps. In the 4 or 5 years I've had mine, I've never had it come off though...... blow way up around my armpits, yes, several times.... but never off.

What I like about them is the amount of side padding. They have way more side protection than anything else I've ever used.... which is great for those unwelcome side slaps from learning back rolls & helis. Yet they have big arm holes, and are cut low around the beer gut.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
My A-10 Jet Pilot serves me well.

The A-10 is a vest that I am considering. In your experience, how well does it float you? Do you use the rib shield pads?

I've currently got an O'Neil Outlaw and have tried my buddy's Jet Pilot Falcon. Both are real comfortable vests that give you a lot of movement and both float me about the same. The Falcon does seem to conform to my body a bit better and doesn't come up on me quite as much.

I'm going to try out an Eagle this spring. Everything I've heard about them has been real positive so far and if what I've heard is true it apparently floats you a bit better as well.

Mike

Just like your boat youve sold out to the dark side, its a wake vest!... Tease2.gif;)

IMO there is too much bulk on the chest for it to be considered a 'ski jacket' although people do wear it and like it, so Dontknow.gif . Do you not find this Mdude?

The A-10 is a vest that I am considering. In your experience, how well does it float you? Do you use the rib shield pads?

I don't find it to be an issue of floating me, I sink a bit more when I drop but pop back up no problem. I don't use the rib shield pads.

Just like your boat youve sold out to the dark side, its a wake vest!... Tease2.gif;)

IMO there is too much bulk on the chest for it to be considered a 'ski jacket' although people do wear it and like it, so Dontknow.gif . Do you not find this Mdude?

Join the darkside, you'll even find yourself more accepted. :) Please enlighten me as to what makes it a wake vest vs. a slalom vest.. Whistling.gif

Too much bulk...ah, nope I skied many years w/ a regular USCG approved vest that was much more confining. The sides of the vest don't have any padding so getting arms down by your side isn't hindered. I suggest you try one on, just be prepared to buy it if you do.

I don't find it to be an issue of floating me, I sink a bit more when I drop but pop back up no problem. I don't use the rib shield pads.

Join the darkside, you'll even find yourself more accepted. :) Please enlighten me as to what makes it a wake vest vs. a slalom vest.. Whistling.gif

Too much bulk...ah, nope I skied many years w/ a regular USCG approved vest that was much more confining. The sides of the vest don't have any padding so getting arms down by your side isn't hindered. I suggest you try one on, just be prepared to buy it if you do.

I have tried on many many jackets, everyone mentioned in this thread except for the eagle anyway (summer job at a ski shop has to have advantages right? Thumbup.gif ). No doubt that the jacket allows for great arm movement, one of the best. Im just a bit unsure (not used to) about the thickness in the chest flotation.

As for the differences, i was just being stereotypical. :) A jacket that comes in blue, grey and white camo that Ali G would be proud of isnt a ski jacket! ;)

Last fall I switched from years and years of Oneill outlaw vests- I went thru 4 of those vest and had to replace them every other year because they would stop floating me. I have an Eagle pull over style vest and love it! It floats me higher in the water then a brand new outlaw and it fits me better and has a little back support in it. When I wear it, I don't feel like I'm wearing a vest at all.

I don't know about the pull over style yet but I didn't hate it last fall. I'll have to wait and see if it floats me better and for longer...

I have tried on many many jackets, everyone mentioned in this thread except for the eagle anyway (summer job at a ski shop has to have advantages right? Thumbup.gif ). No doubt that the jacket allows for great arm movement, one of the best. Im just a bit unsure (not used to) about the thickness in the chest flotation.

As for the differences, i was just being stereotypical. :) A jacket that comes in blue, grey and white camo that Ali G would be proud of isnt a ski jacket! ;)

You being stereotypical...noooo ;) We'll it floats me but I only use it for slalom. I use a regular CG vest for surfing or do I dare say slalom on the wakeboard.... lol They make many vests to suit each others differences but after trying on many this is just comfortable and provides all the movement needed.

You being stereotypical...noooo ;) We'll it floats me but I only use it for slalom. I use a regular CG vest for surfing or do I dare say slalom on the wakeboard.... lol They make many vests to suit each others differences but after trying on many this is just comfortable and provides all the movement needed.

Same here. I've been wearing my A-10 Jet Pilot for two years and it is very comfortable. I wear wakeboarding and surfing. I float a little lower in the water when at rest.

Just remember to keep your CG approved vest in the boat when you go out.

Edited by woody

I've had a Oneil Outlaw for 6yrs and it's still going great. The material has now worn a lot behind neck and under arms but at it's age it done very well. Very comfortable and floats me fine (I'm 70kg). Ill replace it with same.

I wont wear one wakeboarding because they dont float me high enough with a wakeboard on and it can be tough to catch your breath when you are exhausted and barely above water. However, we do use them surfing. I have always been a big fan of the style and durability of the Oneil. I have used the Law and the Outlaw and the one like the Outlaw with the side zipper, which is my favorite. We have several using A-10's in our crew but it won't hardly float me hardly at all.