Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

electric soleniod valve

scott_fx

I'm in the final stage of my ballast system; the plumbing, and i was considering going with solenoid valves instead of the standard manual shut off valves. these valves are normally closed so if i lose power they'll automatically cut off...which should be a good thing. the only two downsides i can think of is cost and figuring out the thread issue. besides those, can you guys think of anything wrong with this method?

I'm in the final stage of my ballast system; the plumbing, and i was considering going with solenoid valves instead of the standard manual shut off valves. these valves are normally closed so if i lose power they'll automatically cut off...which should be a good thing. the only two downsides i can think of is cost and figuring out the thread issue. besides those, can you guys think of anything wrong with this method?

solenoid valves are a great idea, just make sure you get the quarter turn valve type and not the diaphragm type.

solenoid valves are a great idea, just make sure you get the quarter turn valve type and not the diaphragm type.

since i'm pretty ignorant on this subject. what makes the 1/4 turn better?

Are you thinking one main valve instead of a manual ball valve, or one for each bag to prevent siphoning?

thinking about one main for each thru-hull instead ofa manual ball valve

the flow is straight thru. i made a manifold with solenoid diaphragm valves and ended up having to rip it out.

manifold6401.jpg

the flow is straight thru. i made a manifold with solenoid diaphragm valves and ended up having to rip it out.

manifold6401.jpg

impressive. do you have any links to the replacement solenoid valves that you ended up using?

also, i did a quick search but didn't find an an install thread with your setup. I'm all for copying a design that has already been proven. :)

manifold6401.jpg

impressive. do you have any links to the replacement solenoid valves that you ended up using?

also, i did a quick search but didn't find an an install thread with your setup. I'm all for copying a design that has already been proven. :)

the idea was ok, but it is more work than necessary, i am now a believer in 1 fill pump and 1 drain pump per bag, clean and simple.

the idea was ok, but it is more work than necessary, i am now a believer in 1 fill pump and 1 drain pump per bag, clean and simple.

oh i thought you redid the system with the 1/4 turn solenoid valves.

Edited by scott_fx