Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

303 aerospace protectant

Sunscape fan

I was using 303 on the tires and wheels of my boat trailer the other day and got some on the paint of the trailer. Does anyone know if it is harmful to the paint, or will I be ok. I wouldn't want to go out and see my paint bubbling. Thanks for the help

I use this stuff on car, boat, truck and trailer inside and out. Tires, rims, chrome, vinyl and mud flaps. Not that in intentional try to get it on the paint but I am sure I get lots on the paint over time and I have NEVER seen any issues with the paint on boat, trailer or truck.

What would be the prupose of apply 303 to the boat first then wax?

There isn't one.

Seems to me that it would prevent the wax from adhering to the gelcoat.

303 seals the gel coat.

How can it seal anything it never dries completely. It's not a polish.

you put it on wipe it or move it around with a cloth damp from 303 let it stand it does dry then wipe it off. It penetrates very small pours much smaller than a polish.

I am also wondering if 303 never really dries, does it make the vinyl slippery? I was thinking about using it on the swim platform, but I don't want to make the non-slip rubber pad slippery. But I do want to keep it looking really nice. So if it never really dries, then is there always a residue to contend with?

I read a thread here somewhere about putting on 303 and then waxing. I was at the dealer the other day getting some wax for the hull and asked them. His answer was "NO". They sell polish for gel coat than can be appplied prior to waxing. He said 303 on the vinyl only, I have used it on the swim step, does make things a little slippery. Thats all I know.

I am also wondering if 303 never really dries, does it make the vinyl slippery? I was thinking about using it on the swim platform, but I don't want to make the non-slip rubber pad slippery. But I do want to keep it looking really nice. So if it never really dries, then is there always a residue to contend with?

Clearly you haven't used it before... 303 is crazy slippery, esp if you don't "buff it off" per the instructions.

I wouldn't recommend putting it on the swim platform...

Clearly you haven't used it before... 303 is crazy slippery, esp if you don't "buff it off" per the instructions.

No, I haven't used it inside my Malibu yet. But if it is as slippery as you say, then doesn't it leave the seats feeling slimy? Or does it sink in after a while.

303 does dry. Everyone will have there own method for there cars Bu's or anything but after having my 99 Centurion looking like new when I sold it in 07 I just think it is worth using it and do. 303 has a big web site take a look and make your own mind up. The big benefit is it UV blockers. I used it on a teak platform it made it last longer before fading but it was a bit slick for a week or two. I have no problems with it on vinyl it does not have a soggy feeling.

I know a couple of "jet boat" guys and 303 is all they use on their deck and hull. I try not to get it on the gel. I use Fantastic on real dirty seats with a soft brush to get into the texture of the vinyl. Then go over it with a clean, damp rag to get the Fantastic off. Let it dry, then 303 and wipe off. I like to let the 303 sit in the sun after I wipe it down for the last time before I put her in the garage.

Patrick

Wiped down the sun pad with that stuff and then try to sit on it while someone is surfing Crazy.gif

What would be the prupose of apply 303 to the boat first then wax?

There isn't one.

Oh jeez... Are we REALLY going to go through this one again?? OK, one more time - with feeling...

ANYONE who says 303 doesn't work on the hull before a coat of wax to improve and enhance the shine of the gel coat HAS NEVER TRIED IT, PERIOD. If they had they would know better. As Sixball said it seals the pores in the gel giving the overcoat of wax after the 303 a noticably deeper shine. Clean and delime the hull, 303 it, let it dry (may dry to a light haze), hand buff off with an old towel etc (whether it hazes or not), THEN apply wax. Numerous posters on this board, on The Waterski Forum, on Ball of Spray, etc etc have stated over teh years that it does indeed work. Why would so many people on so many different forums over a pretty large span of time (years) make such statements if there weren't something to it? I got this tid bit at least 10 years ago off the old Waterski Forum, tried it, and low and behold what do you know?? Try it or don't, makes no difference to me. But it does definitely work.

Ed

I can't speak for 303 on the paint, but I use Babe's Boat Bright on the trailer paint and it is great. I've also used it on my Mustang and it looks like the day I bought it.

The paperwork I received with our BU boats had a vinyl manufacturer recommendation to use 303. I thought it worked very well over the last three years we've used it. Before that time I was just using 3M stuff from Wal-Mart. That seemed to work well also. I think the key is to use something to keep the vinyl protected, flexible and from drying out. 303 is a little slippery even after it dries.

Never used it on the swim platform.

Re: hull of the boat, I have no idea about using 303. On my tour at Malibu and after asking about boat care, they were just using McGuire's wax in bulk at that time and recommended something similar.

If i am reading into it right, it looks like 303 claims it can be used like a wax, in place of not something you put on before or after. I've never heard of people using 303 on gelcoat /fiberglass before but it looks like it will protect it, it sure seems like wax would do a better job though.

Here is what i found on the 303 webstie:

Question:

Does 303 Aerospace Protectant always 'work' on fiberglass? Answer:

Yes, 303 always works unless there is something on the surface keeping the 303 away from the fiberglass. This something can be a Teflon, silicone or polymer sealant or fresh wax. If the surface has been freshly waxed, there is no need to remove the wax. Instead, just wait a few weeks. Wax does not last long enough to warrant the effort required to remove it.

Only about 2% of the time is prebuffing (compounding) necessary prior to using 303. When compounding is required to remove the heavy layer of accumulated oxidation, be sure to use a rubbing compound that does not leave a coating or sealant. Use one containing only the finest abrasive.

Info came from here: http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...;Product_ID=355

-Paul

A friend of mine sat on some vinyl that had been treated with 303 and then tried to ride his skyski. That did not go well.

Then the seat had too much 303 and it wasn't buffed off well enough.

In my '03, my wife always knew when I had 303ed the vinyl, because it was more slippery. I don't know the reason, but my current vinyl in the '08 does not get slippery as much. It seems the 303 either soaks in more or is removed better when I buff it off.

303 protectant has an oil base, hence the slipperyness. This is why they tell you not to use it on canvas for waterproofing, but instead to use the stuff in the green bottle which is water based and therefore allows the canvas to breathe.