Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21' or 23' Sunscape - Feedback from the Crew Wanted

Never2late

Putting out a follow-up thread for more feedback from the crew. As stated before, we are contemplating our first boat purchase and have found several 21’ and 23’ 2002 Malibu Sunscapes out in the market. The kids have mainly slalom skied in the past, but with this boat they would plan to wakeboard and surf. Besides the obvious interior seating room, we are looking for feedback from the crew: Is there a difference in driving/handling /maneuverability between the 21 and 23 ft, taking into consideration we are rookie boat drivers? Is there a reason one would be better for watersports over the other? We heard that the 23’ is better for surfing, the 21’ better for skiing - is there really a difference? If you were in our position, what would you choose? :unsure:

Since you found several, I'd get myself a drysuit, wait till it warms up a little, & go out & test drive/ski behind both and then decide on which I really liked. I'd be uncomfortable making a major purchase only on others opinions. I'd gamble that with the economy in the mess it is that there will be bargains all summer.

MalibuNation

Welcome ... again.

All I can say is I love my 2003 21' Sunscape with diamond hull. Great all around boat. As far as size go, yes a 21' foot is going to be a little easier to drive, tow, load on the trailer ... but that wouldn't stop me from the getting the 23 footer, then again I'm almost 53 and boated all my life. The reason I went with the 21' is I live on the small lake and I'm already the biggest boat out here.

Bigger boat you can add more weight = bigger wake.

Welcome ... again.

All I can say is I love my 2003 21' Sunscape with diamond hull. Great all around boat. As far as size go, yes a 21' foot is going to be a little easier to drive, tow, load on the trailer ... but that wouldn't stop me from the getting the 23 footer, then again I'm almost 53 and boated all my life. The reason I went with the 21' is I live on the small lake and I'm already the biggest boat out here.

Bigger boat you can add more weight = bigger wake.

Plus1.gif I couldn't have said that better my self!

I've got a 21' on a diamond hull, and the thing is great to ski behind, great amount of room, easy to maneuver (except in reverse...) and with lots of weight it makes a good wake boarding & surfing wake for everyone except die-hard pro's.

We had a 23'er because the wife wanted more room for guests and less clutter with gear. I wanted the 21' for handling and performance. Of course we got the 23' Whistling.gif and I admit she was right. It was nicer to have the space and the 23 was not bad for handling, etc.

Mike

Yes there really is a difference, but depends on how hard you're cutting on the slalom ski. Anyone who is even moderately aggressive on their cuts will be disappointed in the 23' wake. The boarders should be happy in either, but the 23' would be capable of throwing a bigger wake.

It'll be easier, in general, for a "rookie" boat driver to handle a smaller boat. Towing and trailering, launching,

pulling into a dock or boat slip, and maneuvering in tight quarters are all easier with shorter, lighter boats.

That being said, there is not a huge difference between the 21 and 23 Sunscape (1 1/2 ft. in length, 2 in. in beam,

300 lbs. in weight). We're not talking about the difference between an 18 footer vs. a 24 footer here.

Yes, the 21 Sunscape is better for skiing. Yes, the 23 Sunscape is better for surfing, and maybe for wakeboarding as well.

On the other hand, a V-ride, with the wake hull and built-in ballast, may be even better if surfing and wakeboarding

are your primary foci. The VLX and 23 LSV would certainly be better for those disciplines.

But, if you've already narrowed your choice between the two Sunscapes, I'd consider, first and foremost, a) how many

people do you plan on routinely taking out, and B) where are you going to be boating. If you're needing or wanting the

extra space, or are boating on a large, busy body of water, with lots of chop and rollers, the bigger boat may be the

way to go. For smaller crews and calmer waters, the smaller boat will be, arguably, better.

I love my 21 Sunscape, but I'm on the water early mornings for skiing and boarding, and I typically have a crew of 6 or

fewer. And, FWIW, with the requisite added ballast, I am very pleased with my surf wake. YMMV.

I've got a 2001 23 foot Sunscape, and I really like it. It doesn't throw the best wakeboard wake or surf wake, but it is certainly useable. I've found that you really have to weight the front of the boat down if you're surfing or you want to use more weight in back for wakeboarding. I use one of the triangle sacs up front for that. You really can weight that sucker down with no issues though. I've had the 1200 lb triangle sac up front, 2 400 lbs in one rear locker on the surf side, and a 350lb tube sac underneath the surf side seat and the boat was still in very manageable shape. In fact, this year I think I'm going to throw another 400 lb sac on the surf side seat.

As far as the handling goes, I don't think you'll see much of a difference between the two given that they're both V-drives. They'll both handle like crap in close quarters, like docking or mooring. There's definitely an art to it that you'll have to learn.

The extra 1.5 feet gets you about one or two more butts-worth of seating space. It does come in handy.

Edited by sunscapeJeff

Well, I must say, I could be only a little happier with my 23' Sunscape. I have the diamond hull too, and it's honestly not bad for skiing. I also have a 94 Echelon, which is a dream to ski behind, but even coming off of that, the 23' boat isn't that bad, and is certainly ski-able. Only regret I have is I do wish I would have held out for a "Wakesetter" which has the MLS option. No difference in the hull, but the option of the built in balast system makes it easier to build onto (sacs in the rear) and adds 1200lbs of balast in the mid section. I don't like the manual fat sacs.

-Keith

Clap.gif Thanks for everyone's time to provide feedback on my questions. It is extremely helpful to draw upon the wealth of experience that is in the crew.
MalibuNation
Clap.gif Thanks for everyone's time to provide feedback on my questions. It is extremely helpful to draw upon the wealth of experience that is in the crew.

We want pics when you pull the trigger, good luck!