Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 update to auto-wedge

bgriff7

Yes, I had the 09 software install during the initial "make it right" trip. Evidently, some people had the correct software loaded while others had the 09 software. I had the boat out twice since the initial load with no issues.

I wonder if they're installing it on a select number of boats, to get some unit testing done...

It is not any sort of testing, If you have auto wedge on a 2008 boat. You should contact the dealer to get the correct software installed. In my previous post can see why.

-Paul

Thanks for shattering our dreams Paul Cry.gif

Oh come on!!! :) I'm optimistic in thinking there will be something someday. I know how hard the guys are working down at Malibu and some of this stuff just takes time to come together.

-Paul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgriff7

• CrazyTegger

• skyskier

• Bake's Marine

Well I guess it then becomes an ROI question. If the computer are being reprogrammed as opposed to replaced and if the dealers have the equipment to do the software update then:

What would it cost them for the development? How much would it cost to train dealers to install it? How much would it cost to install it? Is there enough room in there to make a profit while charging a reasonable price. My completely SWAG estimates below...

Fixed:

Software Dev = 80 hours.

Testing = 80 - 120 hours

Dealer training = 80 hours of material generation

Per Install

labor - 2 hours

support from Bu - 1 hour

So: 280 hours of fixed costs = ~ $45,000 in fully loaded upfront fixed costs (with a bit of profit)

and $225 in labor at the shop.

So taking my wild guess in costs the only variable left is how many could they do? If i remember correct they sold about 2600 boats. I may be off on that someone correct me if I am. so if just 15% of the owners did the upgrade that would be 390 boats.

=$115 in fixed $225 in variable = $340 in cost. + a hansom profit.

Therefore for a nice $499 price tag they should make some money. (by my figures about $62k plus make a lot of happy customers)

Would you pay $499 to get an Auto-Wedge? I would!

Edited by geogilbert
I surprised we dont have a resident computer geek on this site to write us the software.

If I had the source code, testing platforms, the hardware to do it, and a few weeks, I would. Malibu, PM me. hahaha

Edited by CrazyTegger
  • 2 months later...

I was just reading this thread and was first excited about the possibility on AutoWedge on my '08 then disappointed to find out it may not be possible.

However, I'm planning on saving up and installing Zero Off for next summer. That will necessitate me purchasing the new ECM since Zero Off isn't plug and play on '08's.

Theoretically, once I have the new ECM, will that mean I will need to have the '09 software installed to avoid fault codes from my '08 software and therefore get AutoWedge as an added bonus with my new Zero Off system?

Fingers crossed,

Brian

I was just reading this thread and was first excited about the possibility on AutoWedge on my '08 then disappointed to find out it may not be possible.

However, I'm planning on saving up and installing Zero Off for next summer. That will necessitate me purchasing the new ECM since Zero Off isn't plug and play on '08's.

Theoretically, once I have the new ECM, will that mean I will need to have the '09 software installed to avoid fault codes from my '08 software and therefore get AutoWedge as an added bonus with my new Zero Off system?

Fingers crossed,

Brian

All though you replace the ECM with zero-off, it still is going to be software oriented for a 2008 Boat.

As of today there is no availability for auto wedge on a 2008 Malibu Boat.

-Paul

Malibu released a official service bulletin to their dealers that i wanted to share with you so there is no more confusion whether it is available or not. I know this won't put the want for auto wedge to bed, but hopefully this will put the confusion at rest.

This is direct from Malibu:

"There has been some discussion from customers and dealers as to the availability of “Auto Wedge” for 2008 model Malibu's.

The answer to this question is that it is not available.

Dealers were provided programmer units from Malibu and Medallion which provides the ability to update the MMDC unit.

Although not intended to use, the programmers ability does allow you to program 09 settings into an 08 model boat, which would provide Auto Wedge to a 2008 model. The Auto Wedge feature may work, however the dash will not communicate with the ECM like it should as the two systems are not identical."

-Malibu Boats

Hope this info helps

-Paul

I just got off the phone with Malibu and was told that Malivue is only available for 08 boats that have not been sold yet. Both Malivue and AutoWedge are not avail to already registered boat owners. Sorry, I had my hopes way up and would have paid for both.

Malibu released a official service bulletin to their dealers that i wanted to share with you so there is no more confusion whether it is available or not. I know this won't put the want for auto wedge to bed, but hopefully this will put the confusion at rest.

This is direct from Malibu:

"There has been some discussion from customers and dealers as to the availability of “Auto Wedge” for 2008 model Malibu's.

The answer to this question is that it is not available.

Dealers were provided programmer units from Malibu and Medallion which provides the ability to update the MMDC unit.

Although not intended to use, the programmers ability does allow you to program 09 settings into an 08 model boat, which would provide Auto Wedge to a 2008 model. The Auto Wedge feature may work, however the dash will not communicate with the ECM like it should as the two systems are not identical."

-Malibu Boats

Hope this info helps

-Paul

Yeah, I had a discussion recently with another dealer that clarified what happened. Apparently the wrong update was accidently applied in some cases to '08 boats, & they ended up with the auto-wedge feature. The problem though, is that in many cases those boats work fine like that for a while, then start to throw error codes. So it may be a crap shoot as to whether or not it will actually work. It sounds like it won't in most cases.