Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 update to auto-wedge

bgriff7

Im just curious why some people would get it on their 08 and then the techs deny that its even available like we are imagining things?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgriff7

• CrazyTegger

• skyskier

• Bake's Marine

put on two new actuators and a new prop.. went out for a test run today and thought I would video the auto wedge in action on my 08.

Here is the link for the video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCgRXfTBKE

Also, if I go to Setup -> Service -> Power Wedge.. there is now a selection for "Auto", On or Off..

IMG_1340.jpg

Im just curious. I take it the "Auto" selection wasnt there before?

Thank you

latest and greatest..

a mistake was made, and my computer was updated to the 09 software.. this will apparently cause fault codes, etc.. I've been running for about 20 hours on the 09 software with no problems.

The techs are coming out sometime next week to re-program my computer back to 08 software... meaning, no more auto wedge. Sucks!! But if something happens to my engine running this 09 software then I guess I'm screwed... no other option.

Guess this is "Making it right"??

It's not that the 08 software can't be upgraded to auto wedge... its the R&D department that's not letting it happen.

Edited by bgriff7
latest and greatest..

a mistake was made, and my computer was updated to the 09 software.. this will apparently cause fault codes, etc.. I've been running for about 20 hours on the 09 software with no problems.

The techs are coming out sometime next week to re-program my computer back to 08 software... meaning, no more auto wedge. Sucks!! But if something happens to my engine running this 09 software then I guess I'm screwed... no other option.

It's not that the 08 software can't be upgraded to auto wedge... its the R&D department that's not letting it happen.

bummer. Maybe it has something do with the Malivue thread for 08's found here. Prepping the boats... This is going to be very interesting how things pan out!

Edited by CrazyTegger
latest and greatest..

That bites, they finally build a boat that can accept software upgrades to improve previous models but we aren't allowed to make these improvements.

This will take some time to get over.

Are they afraid upgrading the '08's will hurt sales of the '09's?

I think it would be fair if they offered the upgrade to the auto-wedge for a reasonable fee... I would pay for it, and I'm sure others would.

Then again.. you spend that much money on a boat, I would expect to get software improvements and updates for free.

The latest trend in high end home audio is equipment that can be upgraded through a download. However, just because the upgrade CAN be done does not mean it was ever the manufacturer's intention to do it for free. I have not seen any marketing materials from Malibu that mentions the upgrade ability of their boats. Just because upgrades can be done, it does not mean we should have access to them for free. Upgrades for a fee make sense to me. Especially if the fee is reasonable and the upgrade addresses a previous problem.

Regarding the 08 boats.............. even with the "make it right" program, the resale value of these boats MAY suffer, depending on how well informed the buyer is. If MaliView is available to 08 owners at a reasonable cost, the upgrade could help level the playing field.

Regarding auto wedge.....................30% fuel savings. The upgrade should be available for any boat that it can be retro fitted to regardless of resale value........for a fee. It's the green thing to do.

EDIT............ok, wakeboarding and green don't exactly go together, but let's do what we can. Whistling.gif

Edited by skyskier
The latest trend in high end home audio is equipment that can be upgraded through a download. However, just because the upgrade CAN be done does not mean it was ever the manufacturer's intention to do it for free. I have not seen any marketing materials from Malibu that mentions the upgrade ability of their boats. Just because upgrades can be done, it does not mean we should have access to them for free. Upgrades for a fee make sense to me. Especially if the fee is reasonable and the upgrade addresses a previous problem.

Regarding the 08 boats.............. even with the "make it right" program, the resale value of these boats MAY suffer, depending on how well informed the buyer is. If MaliView is available to 08 owners at a reasonable cost, the upgrade could help level the playing field.

Regarding auto wedge.....................30% fuel savings. The upgrade should be available for any boat that it can be retro fitted to regardless of resale value........for a fee. It's the green thing to do.

EDIT............ok, wakeboarding and green don't exactly go together, but let's do what we can. Whistling.gif

Very well put. As I mentioned on the the other thread, it shouldn't be that hard. I would buy an upgrade to auto wedge at the drop of a hat.

the auto wedge should be updated as a fix for the power wedge.

the boat coming out of the hole is a real dog with the wedge in full drag position.

if Malibu is going to fix this other stuff, they should start with the power wedge.

I think other than the dealer spending time on the upgrade this costs nothing to do, and would make alot of 08 owners happy. Malibu should be keeping its customer base happy and this a easy way to add a new feature that costs them nothing in materials. Unless the software is going to cause a different problem running the 09 software it should be done.

btw... I have an 09. I didnt buy my boat to worry about resale. I bought it to play on the water I really dont think adding this to the 08 is going to hurt my resale, but I could care less. If it helps people have fun on the water im all for it.

It is looking very much like it is a choice to disallow 08s to upgrade to a power wedge. I am planning to talk to CA on another topic in the AM Ill ask see if I can dig out an answer. What I would really like to see is an official statement from Malibu on this issue. Either way I would just like to know for sure.

It is looking very much like it is a choice to disallow 08s to upgrade to a power wedge. I am planning to talk to CA on another topic in the AM Ill ask see if I can dig out an answer. What I would really like to see is an official statement from Malibu on this issue. Either way I would just like to know for sure.

Paul, we need you!!!! haha

OK. Something just dawned on me. That picture is for an 08 dash (I know, DUH right?). NOT malivue. That means that the software developers of the program have created the interface to talk witht the 08 ECU, Dash LCD, and actually get it working. And it worked for 20 hours at least with no noticable problems.

There's no way you can just plug in the 09 malivue software and it will work with the 08 dash. I guarantee the interfaces between the i/o are going to be different simply because the two products are so different. Not to mention, the ECU being different makes it incompatable. It's like trying to run a PC program on a MAC. They're very different software architectures. I believe the same applies for this instance.

So now I guess it's a waiting game. Obviously it's working. I think our OP had a little "mishap" by accident and Malibu is preparing to help get the 08's sold. Since there are so few difference between the 08's and 09's it's a great move by malibu, and it's going to make a lot of owners happy (though some 09's are going to be upset). I don't know of anyone who wouldn't want the auto wedge. and luckily, it only requires a software update... meaning it could be done for free!!! But since I am in the software industry, I believe that there should be at least a small price to pay for the update ($150 for the software + an hour of shop time). That's perfectly within the bounds of fuel savings the update will cause.

Hurry up Malibu and tell us!!!

Edited by CrazyTegger
latest and greatest..

Like what?

When I went into my boat last weekend the system said, "Service Required" and all the MUX Switches showed options we dont have; MLS, power wedge, etc.

Paul, we need you!!!! haha

OK. Something just dawned on me. That picture is for an 08 dash (I know, DUH right?). NOT malivue. That means that the software developers of the program have created the interface to talk witht the 08 ECU, Dash LCD, and actually get it working. And it worked for 20 hours at least with no noticable problems.

There's no way you can just plug in the 09 malivue software and it will work with the 08 dash. I guarantee the interfaces between the i/o are going to be different simply because the two products are so different. Not to mention, the ECU being different makes it incompatable. It's like trying to run a PC program on a MAC. They're very different software architectures. I believe the same applies for this instance.

So now I guess it's a waiting game. Obviously it's working. I think our OP had a little "mishap" by accident and Malibu is preparing to help get the 08's sold. Since there are so few difference between the 08's and 09's it's a great move by malibu, and it's going to make a lot of owners happy (though some 09's are going to be upset). I don't know of anyone who wouldn't want the auto wedge. and luckily, it only requires a software update... meaning it could be done for free!!! But since I am in the software industry, I believe that there should be at least a small price to pay for the update ($150 for the software + an hour of shop time). That's perfectly within the bounds of fuel savings the update will cause.

Hurry up Malibu and tell us!!!

What's you favorite city in Minnasota....oh yeah, Saint Paul!

latest and greatest..

Like what?

When I went into my boat last weekend the system said, "Service Required" and all the MUX Switches showed options we dont have; MLS, power wedge, etc.

I did not get any faults, error messages, or anything out of the ordinary running the 09 software with "auto wedge" in my 2008.. for what its worth. I put about 15-20 hours on it with that software.

They came out on Saturday to program the correct software on my 08 wakesetter (Make It Right - Part II) and the center display went out. Funny thing is that I was not having any problems with the 09 software, they upload the 08 software, and the center display goes out. So now they are coming back out for Part III.

They came out on Saturday to program the correct software on my 08 wakesetter (Make It Right - Part II) and the center display went out. Funny thing is that I was not having any problems with the 09 software, they upload the 08 software, and the center display goes out. So now they are coming back out for Part III.

So you had the 09 software installed too?

Yes, I had the 09 software install during the initial "make it right" trip. Evidently, some people had the correct software loaded while others had the 09 software. I had the boat out twice since the initial load with no issues.

Yes, I had the 09 software install during the initial "make it right" trip. Evidently, some people had the correct software loaded while others had the 09 software. I had the boat out twice since the initial load with no issues.

I wonder if they're installing it on a select number of boats, to get some unit testing done...

Hopefully this will help answer some questions, I just spoke with Malibu to clarify if a 08' boat can be updated to have auto wedge and the answer i got was no, and the reasonsing is valid.

The problem is that from 2008 to 2009 the engine ECM changed from a MEFI controller to a E-Controls engine controller. Which runs 08' boats into a communication/software conflict between the dash and engine if the 09' software is loaded on the 2008 dash controller. Basically you could lose communication with the ECM, fault codes won't display or you will get false fault code readings, etc.

I know the next question is, is Malibu going to create a software for 2008 boats to support auto wedge? I asked, and Malibu said currently there is not a plan to.

In my opinion, know that since the question is being brought up, depending what the cost and how hard it is to do a software update, i wouldn't rule out the possibility of a software update someday.

Hope this helped bring some clarification to the subject.

Thanks

-Paul

I wonder if they're installing it on a select number of boats, to get some unit testing done...

It is not any sort of testing, If you have auto wedge on a 2008 boat. You should contact the dealer to get the correct software installed. In my previous post can see why.

-Paul

It is not any sort of testing, If you have auto wedge on a 2008 boat. You should contact the dealer to get the correct software installed. In my previous post can see why.

-Paul

Thanks for shattering our dreams Paul Cry.gif