Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New LED's installed-trouble with toggle switch

Ndawg12

I have my led's installed and wired up. I can hook them up to a battery and they all turn on but when I hook them to an accessory toggle switch I get nothing, on the back of the toggle I have one factory wire connected on the very top poll, I assume this is providing power. Then I have 2 polls left which I connected the positive and negative lines from my lights. I think that's where I'm crossed up, do I just run the ground wire to somewhere like my amplifier grounds? Or should the ground go to the toggle?

Ok, while typing this I tried to simplify everything with a drawing, it's a work of art let me tell yuh!! But anyways, the drawing portrays my current setup, my question is this, how do i connect the wiring to an open accessory toggle?

Thanks,

post-8316-1237689442_thumb.jpg

I have my led's installed and wired up. I can hook them up to a battery and they all turn on but when I hook them to an accessory toggle switch I get nothing, on the back of the toggle I have one factory wire connected on the very top poll, I assume this is providing power. Then I have 2 polls left which I connected the positive and negative lines from my lights. I think that's where I'm crossed up, do I just run the ground wire to somewhere like my amplifier grounds? Or should the ground go to the toggle?

Ok, while typing this I tried to simplify everything with a drawing, it's a work of art let me tell yuh!! But anyways, the drawing portrays my current setup, my question is this, how do i connect the wiring to an open accessory toggle?

Thanks,

send a pic of the back of the toggle you bought

it is a factory toggle?

top is ground on the factory ones

center is battery power and above and below middle are the switch ones or acc.

Edited by my malibu

Thanks,

takethe ground from the ground bus under the dash but if you have the switch by the dash you can take the ground form any switch they are all connected

Thanks,

send a pic of the back of the toggle you bought

it is a factory toggle?

top is ground on the factory ones

center is battery power and above and below middle are the switch ones or acc.

the boat is at the shop and will be for a while, so I have to draw another sweet pic of the toggle switch. It's just a factory switch with three polls. The very top poll all ready has wire connected to it but I'm not sure what it is.

post-8316-1237728440_thumb.jpg

Is it a two position switch (on-off) or a three position (on-off-on)? My guess would be two. Is it a lighted switch? Mine are. When I turn on the dash lights there is a little led inside the switch that lights up. I'm guessing that's what the existing wire is for. Assuming a two position switch...the two remaining poles would be power in & power out. The negative wire (ground) does not run through the switch, run it straight to the buss bar that is mounted up under your dash.

All of the above are correct. The very top blade is the switch ground. The middle blade is power supply. The very bottom blade is switched power so you need to splice your ground wire in to the top blade. Then put your power wire on the very bottom blade. Then you need to run a power wire from the middle blade to the breaker panel and find an open 5amp breaker. You should be good to go.

Edited by liljohn
All of the above are correct. The very top blade is the switch ground. The middle blade is power supply. The very bottom blade is switched power so you need to splice your ground wire in to the top blade. Then put your power wire on the very bottom blade. Then you need to run a power wire from the middle blade to the breaker panel and find an open 5amp breaker. You should be good to go.

correct

I forgot about the breaker panel! Thanks liljohn, that all makes sense, and thats what I'll do when I get her back. Thanks for everyone's help and input!!