Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Very Simple Question

Lance B. Johnson

2005 Monsoon 340. Are the manifold bolts painted black from the factory?

Trying to determine if my manifolds were replaced by the P.O. My manifold bolts are standard zinc plated, they are not painted.

Trying to determine if my manifolds were replaced by the P.O. My manifold bolts are standard zinc plated, they are not painted.

Sounds like you had some engine work done previously. They should be black.

May have been just a gasket replacement but I don't know why they would use new bolts that are plated? Kind of strange Dontknow.gif

Thats what I thought. I found a chunk of aluminum while dewinterizing today. Whistling.gif I was reinstalling the impeller and dropped the cover plate. When I reached into the bilge area to pick it up I came up with a piece of black aluminum........it is only about 3/4 x 3/4 so it is tough to tell exactly what it is but I strongly believe it is manifold.

Amazing how someone took such good (cosmetic) care of this boat but dropped the ball when it came to winterizing.

Thats what I thought. I found a chunk of aluminum while dewinterizing today. Whistling.gif I was reinstalling the impeller and dropped the cover plate. When I reached into the bilge area to pick it up I came up with a piece of black aluminum........it is only about 3/4 x 3/4 so it is tough to tell exactly what it is but I strongly believe it is manifold.

Amazing how someone took such good (cosmetic) care of this boat but dropped the ball when it came to winterizing.

It can happen, people get busy, just not able to get to it in time, as long as it's running good enjoy it and don't look back, the past is only to bring back good memories Thumbup.gif not trying to figure out something so trivial that won't change the future.

Not necessarily a winterization (or lack thereof) issue. It could have been a flaw / void in the manifold casting that failed after some use and got replaced. Dontknow.gif

Not necessarily a winterization (or lack thereof) issue. It could have been a flaw / void in the manifold casting that failed after some use and got replaced. Dontknow.gif

Plus1.gif They did have some problems with the ETX manifolds rusting if used in salt or brackish water.

Plus1.gif They did have some problems with the ETX manifolds rusting if used in salt or brackish water.

Blast- The manifolds are aluminum

Blast- The manifolds are aluminum

True, but I thought they had an issue where they had steel freeze plugs in the manifolds that rusted and started to leak. The dissimiliar metals caused the plugs to rust quickly in salt water. There was a thread on this a while back. I guess I should have been more specific.