Sign in to follow this  
RoverOn

Neck Brace for Wakeboarding

RoverOn

My brother in-law has been having issues with his neck the last year or so and slammed it really hard boarding last fall...so he is reluctant to wakeboard this spring.

He went to the doctor last week and he has some sort of degenerative issue with his neck.

Can anyone recommend a neck brace for wakeboarding?

I saw this one:

http://www.ronscarpa.com/rs/servlet/Produc...?item=neckBrace

Any one used it?

Dave

Edited by RoverOn

NorCaliBu

I gotta tell ya....that gives me the shivers. If his neck isn't strong enough to handle an impact I don't think I'd risk it, brace or not.

If I was going to recommend anything it would be a wakeskate or wakesurfboard. Not being strapped to the board takes away the whipping/smacking action of catching an edge on the wakeboard.

Good luck and please be careful. Wakeboarding's fun but it's not worth surrendering the ability to walk. Sorry for the downer post but...it is what it is.

RoverOn

Maybe I made it sound more serious than it is...i should have said a MILD degenerative issue...

The degenerative issue is not from wakeboarding...but from aging...

He just wants some extra protection to make it hurt less in case he crashes hard. Not that his neck can't handle it...just that it is already sore and take a bit longer to recover from a big crash than the rest of us...

Not like there is any more risk of breaking his neck or anything...

Edited by RoverOn

NorCaliBu

Oh, good (no, great) to hear. From a previous discussion back at MBO I seem to recall the Scarpa Brace being the only one that got any recommendations at all.