Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Elevation Prop

Does anyone run their boat at a higher elevation? I think the prop is a low elevation prop but not sure. One of the prop repair shops here in Utah told me that I could find out by taking the boat up and running it to see what the wide open throttle RPMs are. He said he thinks that the WOT RPMs are supposed to run around 4,600 - 5,000; and if my boat was running under 4,600 then I would need a prop pitched to the higher elevation. Can anyone verify this? Also, is there a way to pull the prop off without a prop pulling kit?

Closer to 5000 is where you want them. Depending on your motor, your RPM redline is likely 5,200. Lower than 4,800 and your motor is lugging. Add weight to your boat and you're putting serious load on that pony.

Closer to 5000 is where you want them. Depending on your motor, your RPM redline is likely 5,200. Lower than 4,800 and your motor is lugging. Add weight to your boat and you're putting serious load on that pony.

At really high elevation you might need to compromise. Though you boat (depending on year) was designed to go 5000 or 5200, you might find that the extra rpms above 4800 don't really do much for you. My 99 RLX spends most of its time in the slalom course at 7000 feet and my prop allows for 4750-4800 WOT. I found I didn't really gain anything when propped for higher rpm. That is, I didn't really go faster and I didn't get a better hole shot. At slalom speeds I am right in the middle of the powerband. This might different for you at wakeboard speeds though.

Deke

Edited by Deke

in regards to getting the prop off without a puller, just add a little heat to the prop itself with an oxy. it should just about fall off.

I live in Reno, Nv and some of the lakes I go to are at around 5000 - 6000 feet. I run an acme OJ 468 and love it ACME also makes a good high altidude prop 12 something. It makes a huge difference in the whole shot and didn't effect the top speed to much. As far as the puller goes it's a small price to pay for an expensive and important part. I believe there is a group buy going right now on props and prop puillers. Talk to D-GOOSE (SWAG KING)and he can hook ya up with the details.

Great.. thanks for the responses everyone

Get your current prop specs (on prop hub end), and call acme. If you can get Wide Open Throttle RPM and speed currently that helps too.

Tell them the evelation changes. They will be MORE than helpful.

They will also sell you a regular prop w/ a different pitch. They claim to have a "high elevation specific" one, but its kinda BS. Nothing special about it, just a different pitch.