Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response vs Sportster

NAM75

I'm looking at both a 99 Response LX and a 03 Sportster LX.

I know the engines might differ (EFI vs Carb) and some bells and whistles.

Are the hulls different? I would hope the Sportster is not using any wood construction?

Price and hours are similar (Sportster is a little cheaper), just wondering what might be the better buy overall?

I mostly ski the course. All the others toys are for goofing around.

Thanks.

I'm looking at both a 99 Response LX and a 03 Sportster LX.

I know the engines might differ (EFI vs Carb) and some bells and whistles.

Are the hulls different? I would hope the Sportster is not using any wood construction?

Price and hours are similar (Sportster is a little cheaper), just wondering what might be the better buy overall?

I mostly ski the course. All the others toys are for goofing around.

Thanks.

I'm certain they're different hulls but someone here more knowledgable can confirm that. They're both excellent slalom course boats so I guess it would depend on what you want and how much $$$ we're talking about. The Response is going to be a larger roomier boat, more of a "luxury" feel where the Sporty is more a plain jane, task specific slalom course boat IMO. If price, hours, and condition aren't too far apart personally I'd go for the roomier Response, especially if it has EFI. A carb engine wouldn't be a deal breaker for me (depending on price, condition, bells & whistles etc etc) but personallly I'd prefer EFI all other things being equal. Is this STRICTLY a slalom course boat or will it get some lounge time usage also? If so again I'd personally go for the Response. I have several buddies with various vintage Responses and they all rock; also know several with Sporties and they're equally awsome course boats too, just not nearly as "fancy" or roomy.

Just one opinion FWIW.

Ed

Sporty = SV23

'99 Response = SV23 Diamond

Both have all-fiberglass construction. In '99 the Response gained a trunk, so there's a fair bit more storage on the Response that year in addition to the wider beam & taller freeboard. The Response would be the better pure slalom machine, particularly below 28mph.

Honestly the 310 carb is a great motor and the Sporty is a great boat if you think the size is right. You will NOT find a boat more fun to drive for sure.

I'd go with the sporty because it is 4 years newer.

-Chris

The sporty is on the non diamond hull but is smaller and lighter. I wouldn't say that the slalom wake is better on the response, the're pretty similiar. If your a footer the footers seems to like the non-diamond better. And if you think the Response drives like a vette, the Sporty drives like a 911. (Hopefully I don't get slack for that. thats just my opinion about 911's) The 310 carb is plenty, but I agree with the resale of EFI.

The response is aesthetically nicer, with the trunk, and I believe nicer vinyl, carpet, dash, stereo, cupholders, etc. Taller freeboard so it will handle a little bigger water.

I would say if your primary goal is a slalom machine for you and 1 or 2 other dudes, Sporty.

For me, I would go with the response because of the interior and storage, assuming its in similar condition.

Edited by bretski75

Response wake will be less affected if you have an extra person or two in the boat. Roomier as others have mentioned and more freeboard if you're going to ever have kids out in it.

Have fun!

I have had both. Liked my Response, loved my Sportster... If you are a slalom junkie, go with the Response, otherwise go with the Sportster.