Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Y-FITTING for heater at idle

shot

Have the following query:

In a dokumatation for the Y-Fitting I have found this:

'This fitting relocates the supply line for the heater to the inlet side of the raw water pump, increasing water flow thru the heater core at idle speeds.'

In my 08 VTX the Y-Fitting sits at the outlet side of the raw water pump

The direction of the Y (in flow) in fairly clear to me.

My issues

At idle I have poor heating power.

I will add a shower and need the space to place a T on the outlet side of the raw water pump

Therefore I would like to move the Y-Fitting to the inlet side.

Will there be any problems to do so (impeller) ?

Will I get a better heater power at idle?

Why did Malibu used the outlet side of the raw water pump for the Y heater fitting?

thx a lot for help

Heinrich

This has been covered before, but not for a while. A search should yield you the following answers, but can be tricky to find the info quickly.

Will there be any problems to do so (impeller) ?

No - there should not be. Many people have already done this.

Will I get a better heater power at idle?

Yes - better, but not super warm.

Why did Malibu used the outlet side of the raw water pump for the Y heater fitting?

Dontknow.gif Lots of people have asked that same question.

I have always had the Y before the impeller. With my 08 I changed the location before I ever splashed the boat.

I believe there is a reason that Malibu continues to place the Y after the impeller, even though that is NOT where it will provide the best results. I think the reason is this: if the heater core is full of air, it is possible that the impeller will draw only air and not prime the system with lake water. BICBW

I thought the Y-fitting being installed after the raw pump was a Coast Guard Issue.

Changed mine before the first trip out too.

Edited by onamission