Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 wakesetter 23lsv

FreeRider

I don't get on this site much and I was looking for a way to query for my answers but didn't see it.

I was thinking about adding 550 lbs additional ballast on each side of the engine and 550 lbs in the front walk way - a total of 1650 lbs. I want to plumb it in clean so all I have to do is flip a couple of switches. I am ok with manually filling the front sack. I saw Blakes system to add to the factory system.

What are your thoughts on the weight I have in mind and plumbing it into the existing system? I'm kinda thinking I'd like it to fill faster than what the factory system would fill it.

I have a couple of other questions to ask so we can really give you the best advice:

Are you using this system for surfing?

Which Wedge do you currently have on your boat?

The 23 LSV will hold a large bag in the locker, so I would probably recommend going bigger (especially if you're going to use the system for surfing). You don't have to fill the bag all of the way if you don't want that much weight in the back.

Take a look at our PiggyBack 750 Wakesurf Ballast Upgrade, it doesn't require any wiring modifications, can be installed in less than 15 minutes, is controlled by the factory switches, and is completely reversible.

The use will be primarly wakeboarding, but I have taken on an interest in surfing and plan on using my boat for surfing. I looked at that piggy back 750 system link you sent me. It is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I would just get one for each side of the engine. I didn't understand all the plumbing - one way valves etc of the Blake system.

Going with the standard 60/40 rule of weighting a boat, I'd still need a sack for the front walk way. I'd love to conceil it and put it on a switch, but I don't think it is possible with my boat.

Does the fat sac completely drain just using gravity to push the water into the hard tank?

There will be a little water left in the bag when draining is complete. The MLS system uses an aerator style pump, which means it's not capable of self priming. That combined with the fact that the stock MLS system and the PiggyBack have a vent line means that it's impossible to get all of the water out of the bag, or even out of the factory hard tank. So there will be a little water left in the bag, but it's usually less than a gallon, and definitely not more than two gallons.

The use will be primarly wakeboarding, but I have taken on an interest in surfing and plan on using my boat for surfing. I looked at that piggy back 750 system link you sent me. It is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I would just get one for each side of the engine. I didn't understand all the plumbing - one way valves etc of the Blake system.

Going with the standard 60/40 rule of weighting a boat, I'd still need a sack for the front walk way. I'd love to conceil it and put it on a switch, but I don't think it is possible with my boat.

Because the price difference between 400lbs. and 750lbs. is so small, I would recommend going with the 750 if you have any plans of surfing with the boat, especially with the 23. You don't have to fill the bags completely for wakeboarding, but you'll appreciate having the extra ballast for surfing. The beauty of the PiggyBack system is that it's simple, effective, and controlled completely from the driver's seat. We have systems that fill and drain faster, with dedicated pumps for the new bag and expansive wiring and plumbing changes, but if you want something that's easy and very straight-forward, they are a great option.

You'll probably want a little more weight forward in the boat for riding, but a lot of that is dependent on what type of wake you prefer. Adding more weight forward in the boat will make the transition longer and more mellow, which can take away from some of the perceived pop of a more abrupt transition.

It's possible to integrate a forward bag on the 23LSV, but it requires some pretty serious modifications to the boat, and it definitely won't be hidden.

Nope, they include everything you need:

- The bag

- 3/4" Hose

- Quick Connect Fittings

- Quick Connector Mates

- Instruction Guide

- Hose Claps

Pretty much plug-and-play.

I dont agree on 60/40 weigth.

I think that all boats have different ways to weight them.

I Think all malibus need weight 50 rear and 50 in front or may be 40 rear 60 front because you have the wedge.

In my vlx 2009 i put allo the weight on the lounge and the walkthru (800 kg plus MLS plus wedge plus 4 or 5 people). Thats the way it works on my boat and i ride at 82 ft and 37 KMhour. With acme 1235 and 350 monsoon my RPM shows 3600 rpm.

Great wake with that config.

Luciano From argentina

I Think all malibus need weight 50 rear and 50 in front or may be 40 rear 60 front because you have the wedge.

In my vlx 2009 i put allo the weight on the lounge and the walkthru (800 kg plus MLS plus wedge plus 4 or 5 people). Thats the way it works on my boat and i ride at 82 ft and 37 KMhour. With acme 1235 and 350 monsoon my RPM shows 3600 rpm.

Luciano From argentina

That 60 Front, 40 Rear seems a little off. It doesnt seem like it would leave the factory 500 in the rear (2 X 250), I dont remember what the middle has but either 500-600, leaving the bow to have 250-350 (depending on what the center tank has). 1350lbs alteast on the 09 LSV. Plus the wedge which they say is 1,000lbs. It just seems that if the best setup was 60-40 F-R then the factory would set it up this way, even without the wedge.

But to each his own.....

Edited by Calexan

Good question. Approx. how long does it take to fill the factory tank AND the 750?

I guess it really doesn't matter - I'm pretty much sold on this system.......just curious.

It takes a little longer than 10 minutes to fill the factory tank and the Fat Sac. On our boat that is setup with this system we usually start filling right away, and then put the rider out in the water. If the bag isn't totally full by the time they start riding, the wake just gets better as you ride.

The PiggyBack system is really designed for convenience. It's hardly slow, but if you want a system that fills really fast, we can do that, this just isn't the one for you. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to compare to the value of the PiggyBack though.

Thanks a lot for all the advise and input. This is the system I will use.......now I just need to make up my mind if I want to pull the trigger and drop the money - about $650.

$179.99 X 2 = 359.98 + $149.95 (for the front bag) = $509.93 + $100 (for the pump to fill the front bag) =$609.93 X 1.0825 (tax) = $660.25 (I don't know if there is any shipping)

Yep! It adds up.

Edited by FreeRider
$179.99 X 2 = 359.98 + $149.95 (for the front bag) = $509.93 + $100 (for the pump to fill the front bag) =$609.93 X 1.0825 (tax) = $660.25 (I don't know if there is any shipping)

Yep! It adds up.

179 ea for a 750? You should be able to get them a little cheaper than that...maybe 15% off.

Luciano From argentina

That 60 Front, 40 Rear seems a little off. It doesnt seem like it would leave the factory 500 in the rear (2 X 250), I dont remember what the middle has but either 500-600, leaving the bow to have 250-350 (depending on what the center tank has). 1350lbs alteast on the 09 LSV. Plus the wedge which they say is 1,000lbs. It just seems that if the best setup was 60-40 F-R then the factory would set it up this way, even without the wedge.

But to each his own.....

I agree that with more weight up front. I think the factory doesn't set the boats up this way because it makes them tougher to keep dry.

Yep! It adds up.

179 ea for a 750? You should be able to get them a little cheaper than that...maybe 15% off.

The 179 is the price I used from the Piggyback 750 system from the second post of this thread. It came with the supplies and directions for plumbing it into your boat.

• 2 months later...
It takes a little longer than 10 minutes to fill the factory tank and the Fat Sac. On our boat that is setup with this system we usually start filling right away, and then put the rider out in the water. If the bag isn't totally full by the time they start riding, the wake just gets better as you ride.

The PiggyBack system is really designed for convenience. It's hardly slow, but if you want a system that fills really fast, we can do that, this just isn't the one for you. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to compare to the value of the PiggyBack though.

SkiCrave-

Does this system have any problems with "seeping" or siphoning out of the drain pump? With the added water height of the 750 on top of the 250 tank, there is a lot of pressure (head) on the drain pump attached to the bottom of the hard tank. Are the stock pumps performing okay on the sytems you've tested/installed?