Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Baby on the way

LiQUiDSX

Ive seen boats for sale with the whole "new baby on the way" in the description and got to thinking.

I sold our VLX last year to prepare for a new Bu and we were going to purchase a 23' LSV this year. We recently found out we now "have a new baby on the way" and the wife is scared to make such a big purchase at this time. Its our first so I have no idea what to expect and what its going to be like. Here were my thoughts however:

She is due on October so that will give us the whole summer to enjoy the boat before the new baby gets here. By the time summer of 2010 rolls around, the baby will be 8-9 months old and in my opinion ready for the river. She is skeptical with the unknown expenses (formula,child care ect...) also.

Those of you that have been through this before with a boat what are your thoughts?

Did you use the boat less, more, same, or have any regrets.

Thanks

My son was born in February and was had him out on the boat in 6 weeks and has been on it ever since. At first you need to a little careful to hold their neck but we never found it to be an issue, in fact, we had him on a houseboat in May w/ the Crew and no they weren't quiet either...lol We knew that we might not be able to spend 12hrs on the lake but we didn't change our life just adjusted to it. Make sure to take plenty of extra changing items. The boat ride will put them to sleep, to be honest in the boat my son is better than in the car.

We found our trips out didn't stop and our boat time really didn't change all the much, it's the one thing the entire family can do. I understand the concern she has but trust me don't stop just because you have an infant. Child care isn’t cheap expect around 700-800/month for that. The other expenses just don’t add up enough to prevent water time.

NO REGETS, other than not having kids sooner!

The boat will become a low priority especially if it's your first child Whistling.gif

Congrats, you'll need to get ready for the sleepless nights when it's your turn :)

The boat will become a low priority especially if it's your first child Whistling.gif

Congrats, you'll need to get ready for the sleepless nights when it's your turn :)

I'll disagree on that cause if anything we made boating a priority since we could all do it as a family.

Sleepness nights do suck, but it's short lived roughly 2 months +/-.

Ive seen boats for sale with the whole "new baby on the way" in the description and got to thinking.

I sold our VLX last year to prepare for a new Bu and we were going to purchase a 23' LSV this year. We recently found out we now "have a new baby on the way" and the wife is scared to make such a big purchase at this time. Its our first so I have no idea what to expect and what its going to be like. Here were my thoughts however:

She is due on October so that will give us the whole summer to enjoy the boat before the new baby gets here. By the time summer of 2010 rolls around, the baby will be 8-9 months old and in my opinion ready for the river. She is skeptical with the unknown expenses (formula,child care ect...) also.

Those of you that have been through this before with a boat what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Be prepared for your wifes doctor to tell her she is not allowed to be in the boat. I have several friends with "no pregnant" rules on their boats due to their wives doctors telling them to not be in a boat other than "putting around". Something to think about.

After the birth the boat will probably aid in naptime, well that is unless you get within 100 yards of another boat with wetsounds on the tower.

Edited by 06vlx

ditto to what malibdude said. it's definitely not as easy as it was sans kids, but doable. i've had both my girls on the lake since they were 3 months and 6 months old. they love it

Thanks

Be prepared for your wifes doctor to tell her she is not allowed to be in the boat. I have several friends with "no pregnant" rules on their boats due to their wives doctors telling them to not be in a boat other than "putting around". Something to think about.

After the birth the boat will probably aid in naptime, well that is unless you get within 100 yards of another boat with wetsounds on the tower.

Okay I just laugh at that, unless you have a medical condition or course, by my wife was wakeboarding at 6 months pregnant and everything is just fine. Perhaps we took things to and extreme but I just couldn't stand it to be off the boat just because of a kid. This is our way of life and kids will just make it much more enjoyable over the years. BTW the loud music from either Bullets/Titan's/WS speaker didn't affect our kid from sleeping..... Thumbup.gif I do get daddy it's too loud occasionally...lol

Thanks

Okay I just laugh at that, unless you have a medical condition or course, by my wife was wakeboarding at 6 months pregnant and everything is just fine. Perhaps we took things to and extreme but I just couldn't stand it to be off the boat just because of a kid. This is our way of life and kids will just make it much more enjoyable over the years. BTW the loud music from either Bullets/Titan's/WS speaker didn't affect our kid from sleeping..... Thumbup.gif I do get daddy it's too loud occasionally...lol

I agree, my wife was riding quads at 6 months with the Doctors approval. Is riding in a boat that much different than riding in a 1 TON pickup down a dirt road, anyways.

I'll disagree on that cause if anything we made boating a priority since we could all do it as a family.

Sleepness nights do suck, but it's short lived roughly 2 months +/-.

I think your only looking at this through your eyes, I've seen it happen to three of my best friends who I grew up skiing with and now I'm the only left of the four that said life would never get in our way of boating.

Edit: One other thing to add is if LIQUiDSX is surrounded by other friends and family that can support a crew for boating that is great if he can go out alone at times. But if he depends on his wife as one of his main crew supporters when they go out, then it's not all his decision anymore if her feelings change on going out, unless she is forced to go. It's rare to have both the husband and wife to be so hard core that they make boating a part of life and force that on their children.

Edited by 68Slalom

Thanks

Plus1.gif LIQUidSX Your going to get a much more bias opinion on this board because most of us who spend time on this board make this sport just about #1 but not all of us have spouses that feel the same way as we do, I would try and get some advise off the board as well.

It's one of those 'It depends' answers.

We didn't slow down at all with our boating - in fact - we've take some family only boating trips that we wouldn't have taken before. Our son had his first boat trip at just under 4 months. First boating camping trip was at 6 months. It does take some more organization to head out for the day, but it's definitely do-able.

Our son is 4 now & gets really excited when he sees the boat. He also gets pretty crabby if he finds out I went out on the boat without him.

BTW - 'Dude - You were lucky - our sleepless nights lasted close to 20 months, but there were some issues surgery at 18 months + recovery time addressed.

We 'raised' 3 kids on the boat, most of the time out for rides before their first birthday. it just became what we did, and we adjusted our routines and schedules.

we went out less when they were very young, but continued to camp, go to cabins and travel and had great family time.

One of the real challenges is the weather - kids can get hot quickly and chilled quickly - so you have to be in tune with them.

I think one of the keys to success is to accept it is going to be different, accept that you are going to have to be way more flexible,

and accept that sometimes the baby just won't be happy in the boat, no matter what.

Good Luck and Congratulations.

My kids were born in March and May and we never missed a beat. They were in the boat their first Summer. They never knew what it was like to NOT wear a life jacket so we never had to battle with them about it. Just drag them along. It isn't as easy but it is worth it big time. What a great family lifestyle! We are blessed! Enjoy your new addition.

Boatman

We took both our kids on the boat at very young ages. A little more planning but definitely doable. Make sure to have the proper life jackets, and watch out for too much exposure to the sun. Hats , sun screen and bimini top will make life nicer. The bonus is they usually fall a sleep on the trip home, either in the boat or in the car.

Thanks

Laugh all you want, you happened to have a doctor that didn't care. Some doctors are anal, like my friends wife's doctor. She had no medical condition and it wasn't their first kid. The doctor told them not after like 6 months I think it was. So his wife is due in Oct which means she will be 6-9 months pregnant during the summer, hence my comment.

"Is riding in a boat that much different than riding in a 1 TON pickup down a dirt road, anyways"

Are you serious do you really want me to answer that?

What does riding in a boat have to do with riding in a 1 ton pickup down a dirt road? Seriously. ROFL.gif You crusing down many bumpy dirt roads in a 1 ton pickup with pregnant women? You weren't recently in an episode of My Big Redneck Wedding were you?

We had our first baby last July. Maybe we are different, but it very much slowed down our boating. In fact we sold our 06 Vride in preparation for it last spring which looking back was a great thing due to the economy now.

That ended up working out great for us. Late in the pregnancy she didn't feel like going, and then after the baby was born we did not have the time, plus it seemed our priorities changed. For us, boating was not that important in the grand scheme of things, and we still had a pontoon boat. And it's pretty darn hot here in July/Aug/Sep. Just about too hot for a newborn.

Now this summer, we are all looking forward to it and our son will be one in July and we've already bought him all the gear and cool board shorts, sunglasses, etc. and daddy bought a new 08 VLX in December at the same price paid for the 06 Vride in 06!!

So I guess if boating is a huge priority you'll find time right on through. For us, it's just another fun thing we like to do among many things and was not that big a priority.

KIDS ARE GREAT! Nothing like it in the world. If someone doubts miracles, just watch the birth of your own child. Thumbup.gif

It's a little bit harder to get the babe's ready for the boat (sunblock, hat, lifejacket), so sometimes they didn't make the first run out. But the kids love the boat, and it's the perfect thing to put them to sleep. Guaranteed, every time. My neices are asleep within 20 mins on the lake.

Congrats,

I have my first due in mid May and am hoping for some decent water time this year. The good part is my wife has the same mindset. Hopefully the kid will like being in the boat.

Thanks

Laugh all you want, you happened to have a doctor that didn't care. Some doctors are anal, like my friends wife's doctor. She had no medical condition and it wasn't their first kid. The doctor told them not after like 6 months I think it was. So his wife is due in Oct which means she will be 6-9 months pregnant during the summer, hence my comment.

Had nothing to do w/ the doctor, we just didn't stop just because. Just use caution, boating isn't inherently more dangerous than driving.

Thanks

Plus1.gif

My wife was boating at 9 months pregnant and we had our son on the lake when he was 6 weeks old. He's now 2 1/2 and at least once a week all winter I get the question from him...."daddy we go to the houseboat?"

Thanks

"Is riding in a boat that much different than riding in a 1 TON pickup down a dirt road, anyways"

What does riding in a boat have to do with riding in a 1 ton pickup down a dirt road? Seriously. ROFL.gif You crusing down many bumpy dirt roads in a 1 ton pickup with pregnant women? You weren't recently in an episode of My Big Redneck Wedding were you?

Thanks for the answer, it is funny! I don't mind jokes at my expense as long as they make people laugh. I am curious however what is wrong with pulling my toyhauler down a dirt road. It's not like my toyhauler is a boat trailer with plywood bolted to the top of it and a tent strapped to the front...what is so redneck about that? Dontknow.gif

Thanks

Thanks for the answer, it is funny! I don't mind jokes at my expense as long as they make people laugh. I am curious however what is wrong with pulling my toyhauler down a dirt road. It's not like my toyhauler is a boat trailer with plywood bolted to the top of it and a tent strapped to the front...what is so redneck about that? Dontknow.gif

The visual I got reading your post had me cracking up, maybe because I had watched an episode the night before.