Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

saltwater 'bu

DC_UGAFAN

I found an '04 wakesetter in florida for a great price. $25000 to be exact. illusion tower, 600 lbs of ballast, bimini top, 2 tower speakers, and 160 hrs. but since it is in florida, the first question I asked was if it was run in salt or brackish water. and she said yes but had a flush kit installed on it since she bought it on day 1. With that being said is this a boat I should look at closer or just move on since it was ran in brackish water

I found an '04 wakesetter in florida for a great price. $25000 to be exact. illusion tower, 600 lbs of ballast, bimini top, 2 tower speakers, and 160 hrs. but since it is in florida, the first question I asked was if it was run in salt or brackish water. and she said yes but had a flush kit installed on it since she bought it on day 1. With that being said is this a boat I should look at closer or just move on since it was ran in brackish water

My first i/o boat was used in salt water river and they flushed it out after each use and I never had a problem with it and I kept it for bout 4 years before I got my bu. It was about a 6year old boat when I sold it and there was only a tiny bit of rust on the inside of a storage compartment. Not sure if I would buy it again but that was my first boat so I didn't really think about it, I just wanted a boat really bad lol.

I take my Bu to Florida (Destin area wher I grew up) 2-3 times a year. I flush the engine for about 15 minutes at the end of each day and have had no issues. Now that's not to say you won't have some rust. Look at the engine cover stay rod holders and the exhaust manafolds. Look at anything with a hinge point and the battery. You will probably see some rust. When you have salt water you can't get away from rust 100%, but a good cleaning will keep it to a minimum. After the engine cools down you can even hose it as well. I just like the white sandy beaches to much not to take the boat with me.

Our last I/O was in salt water for a while when the previous owner had it. It did have some corrosion that I found out about once I had the impeller replaced which did cause some problems later on, but I would have a qualified marine shop do a really thorough inspection based on the information you have so far. The main thing is that you believe and trust what the guy selling is telling you and if it checks out you just need to feel good about the purchase.

I take my Bu to Florida (Destin area wher I grew up) 2-3 times a year. I flush the engine for about 15 minutes at the end of each day and have had no issues. Now that's not to say you won't have some rust. Look at the engine cover stay rod holders and the exhaust manafolds. Look at anything with a hinge point and the battery. You will probably see some rust. When you have salt water you can't get away from rust 100%, but a good cleaning will keep it to a minimum. After the engine cools down you can even hose it as well. I just like the white sandy beaches to much not to take the boat with me.

I love Destin. I used to be there for 3 or 4 weeks in the summer but now that I live in shreveport i usually only make for my family vacation.

She said it was kept in a boat house under cover all the time. So i should expect some minimal rust for saltwater use? Are there any sorts of anti oxidants that can get rid of any rust I might find?

Salt water is a tough thing and gets into places you never thought possible. There are many crazy deals out there right now so make sure to shop around. I've seen an 06 Vride with less than 100 hours go for high 20's.

My 1st Malibu was in Florida and I would cross it over to salt water on occasion. As long as it is flushed well after every use and then the whole boat is washed very meticulously you should be OK. Look around very closely to places like the engine mounts and bolts and other steel parts. It will be very apparent if it was taken care of. I would not be too concerned about small amounts of rust but look for big flaking or deep rust.

One other thing to add, being an 04' with only 160 hrs is very low for that year. So it should be in really good shape and anything really wrong as far as corrosion will stick out visually right away. So if it was used in salt water but stored well you'll know right away by a good visual inspection yourself.

I did the opposite. I bought a freshwater boat a few years ago and use it exclusively in brackish water. I run fresh water thru it after every use. Only issue I've had with the boat is the alternator froze up during the offseason, but it was 10 years old. I'm in the process of replacing the steering cable, but that is a common maintenance item and has nothing to do with the water.

The biggest casualty is the trailer. Its a painted trailer and it rusting out from the inside. I spray it down and wash it the best I can. My previous boat had a galvanized trailer and it did much better.

Low hours and good care should leave the boat in good condition.

i got her to send me some pictures of any rust or corrosion and here is what I got, doesnt appear too major to me

pics

Any overall pics of the engine?

I bought a 1997 Bu last August with over 700 hours of freshwater only use and have since used it exclusively in saltwater. I've got ~80 hours on it since I bought it and it has nowhere near the rust around the motor mounts that those pics have. And I have had a ton of saltwater in the bilge from a hose popping off one day and learning that at the same time the bilge pump quit working.

I'd say the motor mounts have excessive rust but if the rest of the engine is ok and the wiring isn't overly corroded then it may not be a big deal. Hard to tell but looks like some increased rust on the vdrive too.

The next most corroded item on my boat is the fuel level sending unit.

If you got additional pics of the engine I'd post those up.

Edited by the_dude