Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable - Teleflex SSC134xx or SSC154xx?

I'm replacing the cable on my '98 Response. Pulled the old cable and as near as I can tell with the worn part # its a 17 ft SSC13417. After doing a search here and on ebay, skidim, boatfix, and Teleflex I found that there are SSC134 and SSC154 series of cables. Some guy on ebay hyped the SSC154 series stating "***TFXtreme SSC154 Rack steering cable*** The ultimate in steering response and control. Upgrade your wake/ski boat! Teleflex Xtreme cable technology. Not available through normal Teleflex distribution. Used on Malibu, Mastercraft, Calabria, and other ski and wake boat builders."

Anyone know if the SSC154 is better than the SSC134 and if its worth the extra $?

skidim - 17' BACKMOUNT RACK SINGLE CABLE Teleflex Cable Only PT # SSC13417 Also replaces SSC15417 $166.75

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC13417

boatfix - SSC13417 BACK MT RACK SINGLE CABLE 17' Teleflex Morse $96.31

http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/viewIte...idProduct=17809

boatfix - SSC15416 16FT HPS R&P BACKMOUNT TFXTREM Teleflex Morse $129.65 (didn't list a 17")

http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/viewIte...idProduct=22571

I was in the same situation as you last year when I went to change my cable. I ended up talking to someone at Teleflex marine and they said that the SSC134xx cable was the one to buy. She said the SSC154xx cable is great for really long cables or for complicated routings. She said I wouldn't even notice a difference and told me to order the less expensive cable, hence I got an SSC13415 for my sportster. Hope this helps and when it comes time to replace it I hope you attached a rope to the end on the one you just pulled out. I got lots of advice on how to change mine here at the crew and it helped a ton. Really good info here if you search it. Good luck,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! That's exactly what I was looking for. And yes I did attach a rope per instructions on this site. Little tricky pulling out from under the console because I didn't retract the rudder end. D-Goose mentions that in his DIY, but forgot to do that. One small piece of clarity is that turning the steering wheel full left retracts the rudder end of the cable. The lowest price I found was at boatfix.com.

I believe the 154 is the high performance cable. For the price difference I'd buy the high performance cable.

Peter

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a 2000 response LX and talked to a guy named Tim at Malibu factory and he said the (TF Extreme) is the best cable and thats what they are using now. So he couldnt remember off the top of his head the length I needed, could you guys know for certain? anyon else put in a steerign TF Extreme cable lately ?

Thanks

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I have a 2000 response LX and talked to a guy named Tim at Malibu factory and he said the (TF Extreme) is the best cable and thats what they are using now. So he couldnt remember off the top of his head the length I needed, could you guys know for certain? anyon else put in a steerign TF Extreme cable lately ?

Thanks

Patrick

Do you have already the number of this item, because I have the same answer?

Thanks

Thanks

Patrick

Do you have already the number of this item, because I have the same answer?

Thanks

Ok here is the scoop , I talked to the Malibu factory and he told me a 17, He thought... but he never looked up the number for the length...he did say it was a SSC 134 though. the new ones are the SSC 154. higher performance according to Teleflex...totally interchangeable. I called my boat dealer and he looked up my hull number and told me a 15 foot SSC134 was stock. 179.99 for the cable and rack(integral). so I wenrt to Ebay and found a new SSC 154 -15 and had it here in a week for 99.00 shipped. It also came with the whole steering shaft and all that which unless your wheele wobble a lot(shoy shaft bushing) you dont need. I swapped my old cable with the new new one and 3 hours later I had it in. took it out on the river that weekend and it was SWEET. One finger steering....WOW felt like a new boat. Now I need to go after my throttle cables.

Read up on the posts to replace the cable found here on this site. And here is a few tips.... For the back end.. Tools, 9/16th and 1/2 inch combo wrenches. Vice grips and some tough string. For the front ....electric screwdriver(drill) for the kick panel on the left . and a socket that fits the 4 bolts on the rack mount for the steering wheel underneath the column.

I will explain more later when I have some more time.as far as the job went.

Regardless of what you were told the 15 foot cable is the stock length and the correct replacement for a 1999 and 2000 Response LX plus what ever years those are lumped into. Fit right up on extra snaking around.

Patrick

• 1 year later...

In talking to a Malibu dealer tech person, he stated that the big problem is moisture and corrosion affecting these cables. Wondering if this got addressed in the higher performance cable and can you tell a noticeable difference in performance between the two cables?

Installed the sc154 on my sportster and though it was a PITA to do, the one finger steering still amazes people.