Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

H2O around Bakersfield?

Slider

I'm looking for some decent water around Bakersfield CA. We are delivering our boat to her new owner on Saturday and we are trying to find a waterway to do a wet test on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Naciemento........ well, maybe. As I recall it's like an hour west.

What was the lake they used to do the Barefoot Nationals at? Seems like that was quite a bit closer.

When I was with the USMCR we put in a ramp on Lake Elisabeth which is East of BF by about an hour or so if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if there is any thing closer.

Lake Success is just above Porterville and is probably the closest lake, at least that I am aware of. Porterville is probably 45 minutes north of Bakersfield.

I think naciemento is going to be further from Bakersfield, maybe 1 hour 20 miniutes most likely.

Edited by Sandbagger

We need something where we can do a water delivery/test that has a good ramp. The ramp part is important because we're seriously thinking about driving the motorhome, so that needs to be factored in.

Thanks Troy. It is what it is, things will get better & we'll all be stronger for it.

We need something where we can do a water delivery/test that has a good ramp. The ramp part is important because we're seriously thinking about driving the motorhome, so that needs to be factored in.

Thanks Troy. It is what it is, things will get better & we'll all be stronger for it.

WakeGirl! Highly recommend Lake Buena Vista Recreation Area as it is very near Bakersfield and the ramp is no worries for motorhome. I used to boat there bi-weekly when I lived in California using my motorhome for launch and retrieve. FWIW! I went last year to boat with friends from California at Lake Buena Vista Rec Area (Lake Webb) towing my RLXI with my Monaco Diesel pusher motorhome. No problems on launch or retrieve. I share this with you for reference as you did not indicate how big your motorhome was. Need further info please PM me as I am very willing to help you if I can. Thanks for your efforts in making this a great site.

MMF

Edited by multiplemalibufamily
It's a 28' Class C on the E450 chassis. Not as big as yours, so it sounds like it should work. The biggest worry (other than room to maneuver) is with a really steep ramp, especially if it's slick.

Hi, we live in So Calif. and boat at Buena Vista a lot. We do avoid holidays and weekends if we can as the lake gets crowded. It is a small narrow lake that is mainly for water skiing. The ramps, 2 of them, are very good and we use a motorhome to do our launching. the camping is great, but reservations are necessary during the peak times. The water level remains just over 6 ft deep and is a little murky due to the boats always churning up the mud off the bottom. This lake is only about 25 miles from Bakersfield. There is another man made lake in the heart of Bakersfield called Lake Ming. It is basically the same as Buena Vista, but as far as I know there is no camping close to the lake. I hope this helps you

Never been there but had friends that used to frequent Buena Vista. I think it is the closest.

Bakersfield ????????? :unsure:

It's a 28' Class C on the E450 chassis. Not as big as yours, so it sounds like it should work. The biggest worry (other than room to maneuver) is with a really steep ramp, especially if it's slick.

It's on the valley floor and flat as a pancake, you'll be fine.

Never been there but had friends that used to frequent Buena Vista. I think it is the closest.

We were thinking about heading to Palm Springs for spring break anyway, & the buyer is from Arizona. This takes away the need to get the boat shipped & we'll have a nice trip with the fam.

Mdude,

I'm used to those NorCal ramps at Shasta, Trinity & Oroville that are ridiculously steep & long, with no room to maneuver.

Are water levels at Buena Vista a concern at all?

We were thinking about heading to Palm Springs for spring break anyway, & the buyer is from Arizona. This takes away the need to get the boat shipped & we'll have a nice trip with the fam.

Mdude,

I'm used to those NorCal ramps at Shasta, Trinity & Oroville that are ridiculously steep & long, with no room to maneuver.

Are water levels at Buena Vista a concern at all?

The ramp is nothing like we have in norcal. I believe the water levels from what I've read are somewhat consistent but it is a shallow lake 6'-8'. This is a video of BV.

I live in Visalia just 60 milest n. of Bakersfield, trust me Lake Success is your best bet and if not try Lake Kaweah just east of Visalia, definitely above 6 foot water level. That s*** sound like a private pond.

Also, if you need help and go to Kaweah, let me know and I'll back that boat in for you with my truck, but they have a great ramp and I think you will be fine.

Edited by Sandbagger

Not sure if it will work for your testing purposes but I may be able to arrange something for you guys at one of the two lakes by our place. It’s an 1:15 minutes north of Bakersfield.

Edited by baumer

You could try this:

Lake Ming

Lake Ming is located 10 miles northeast of Bakersfield, off of Hwy. 178 along Alfred Harrell Hwy. Lake Ming consists of 107 surface acres of water and is fed by the "Mighty Kern" River. Lake Ming is very well known for speed boat racing and water skiing. Fishing is allowed from specified areas along the shoreline, October through March, 8 a.m. to sundown. There are 50 well maintained campsites located near Lake Ming, along the Kern River, with hot showers and plenty of grass; no hook-ups. Boat rentals and concessions are not available, swimming, or tube fishing are not allowed. The local angler knows Lake Ming holds a large population of 5 lb.+ largemouth bass as well as numerous big bluegill. Adding to the action, Ming is well stocked with rainbow trout throughout the winter months. Lake Ming (661) 861-2345; Park Ranger (661) 872-5149.

I think Buena Vista will be fine. They have a decent ramp. Just call ahead to get current conditions etc.

Also, if the buyer is from AZ, and your thinking of Palm Springs, why not do a delivery in Havasu? Just as far as Palm springs and more to do.

Although, they may want to get there on a Wed, board etc. until Sunday and do the trade on Monday.... Just a thought :whislting: