Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a BU - Need Advice

Never2late

Hello - First time post - and looking for first boat :unsure:. Interested in 21' Sunscape LSV - 2000-2003. Can only find 23 footers. Would a 23' be too sluggish for slalom and wakesurfing with a 325 monsoon non-EFI? Also, would a manual wedge be a deal breaker? Thanks!

The manual wedge was the only type available until 2006, so unless you're talking about the fact that there's no wedge vs. manual being a deal breaker....? Also, the Monsoon only came as EFI (ever), maybe they've got a 310 carb (although I don't think the carb was even available in the 23', not totally sure on that one).

The 21 LSV didn't come out until 2002. Before that, the same hull was used on the 01 Sunsetter VLX. You're out of luck for 00.

Manual wedges work just fine. Not as good as the power or free-floating, but on the years you are talking about, it's your only factory option and much better than no wedge at all.

We had a 2002, 23' Sunscape - 325 Monsoon w/ EFI and manual wedge. The Wedge was added on at the Dealership before we took it home - so if you want it that can be added whereas the power wedge cannot. Worked well for us as a good all around boat. We wakeboard, slalom, and barefoot - never did any surfing on that boat though. I had added ballast as well. Had 580 hours with no real issues before trading it in for an '08.

Regards,

Mike

Keep in mind the manual wedge can be replace for the free floating wedge, just not the Power Wedge. A 23' boat for slalom, not an ideal situation and depending upon the number of occupants it could be a struggle. I'd recommend propping down for an increased hole shot for slalom and w/b, then the monsoon is ok in the 23'. I've never witnessed or read a non-EFI in a V-drive of that era.

An '01 to '04 21' V-Drive with a diamond hull is what you want. The manual wedge, bow sac, center locker sac throws a great wake. Some rear-locker sacks make it a bit better. We've set mine up to surf a couple times. It is doable, but the 23' machines are much better at it.

2001 Sunsetter VLX - Older hull (pictured), does great with slalom, only does good if you equip it with tower, speakers, board gear, a full tank of gas, and more than a driver and spotter. Moral of the story, do the slalom first thing in the morning before the crew shows up.

2002 Sunscape 21 LSV - Newer hull, more easily worked on IMO.

2003 Sunscape 21 LSV - Same as '02

2004 Sunscape 21 LSV - This is the last model year on this hull. All newer boats went to the wider and heavier (i.e. less slalom worthy) 21.5' hull.

You don't see another decent slalom V-drive till the recent model year VTX.

Given a choice I'd look for an '04 as it's got the most year on year innovations standard to that model. I'd move to older models until I found my price point. I think I'd hold out rather than buy an '01 again. Not that it isn't a great boat and I only have a few complaints; just that for another 5-10% in price I could get a boat with a better layout and features.

post-153-1237216365_thumb.jpg

An '01 to '04 21' V-Drive with a diamond hull is what you want. The manual wedge, bow sac, center locker sac throws a great wake. Some rear-locker sacks make it a bit better. We've set mine up to surf a couple times. It is doable, but the 23' machines are much better at it.

2001 Sunsetter VLX - Older hull (pictured), does great with slalom, only does good if you equip it with tower, speakers, board gear, a full tank of gas, and more than a driver and spotter. Moral of the story, do the slalom first thing in the morning before the crew shows up.

2004 Sunscape 21 LSV - This is the last model year on this hull. All newer boats went to the wider and heavier (i.e. less slalom worthy) 21.5' hull.

Given a choice I'd look for an '04 as it's got the most year on year innovations standard to that model. I'd move to older models until I found my price point. I think I'd hold out rather than buy an '01 again. Not that it isn't a great boat and I only have a few complaints; just that for another 5-10% in price I could get a boat with a better layout and features.

From '01 to '04, it's the same hull - SV23 diamond. '04 is the sweet spot IMO = Gorilla Fins.

Not trying to hawk the tread here, but I own a 2002 Sunscape LSV 21ft. I have it listed for sale through our local Malibu dealership here in TN. If I find a buyer, I am buying another Malibu. Looking at going bigger and newer. Anyway, I sent you a private message with the information. If you like, lets talk, if not, good luck! Rockon.gif

Thanks.

Terry

Thanks for the advice and feedback! Thumbup.gif Every little insight helps. There is a lot to learn. I might be back for more soon!

From '01 to '04, it's the same hull - SV23 diamond. '04 is the sweet spot IMO = Gorilla Fins.

You're correct. I mispoke. Same hull, but the interior is heavily improved. Full wrap around seating, ice cooler, more rugged seat construction, etc. Just better QC all around from 2002+. Yup. I'd really have liked an '04. You can really feel the improvement in tracking between boats with those Gorilla Fins.

The vinyl is much improved in '04, they went to a thicker grade. Illusion X was debuted in '04 as well. There are definitely a lot of little as well as not-so-little things about the '04 that would make it the one to look for IMO.

The vinyl is much improved in '04, they went to a thicker grade. Illusion X was debuted in '04 as well. There are definitely a lot of little as well as not-so-little things about the '04 that would make it the one to look for IMO.

IIRC didn't the first Illusions have some issues??

IIRC didn't the first Illusions have some issues??

Can't recall. I do know that they didn't come with the spring system, so they were much more difficult to drop.