Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buzzer warning

I have an 02 Wakesetter with only 100 hrs on it. I have a warning buzzer going off. I have turned off the depth alarm, and replaced the oil sending unit. The little horn is flashing also in the tach.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ron

I have an 02 Wakesetter with only 100 hrs on it. I have a warning buzzer going off. I have turned off the depth alarm, and replaced the oil sending unit. The little horn is flashing also in the tach.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ron

I had a one going off like that after a clamp came off the upper water hose and it started to get a little hot, I had to have the dealer reset the computer?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ron

I had a one going off like that after a clamp came off the upper water hose and it started to get a little hot, I had to have the dealer reset the computer?

Thanks I have to take it to the dealer for a few thing anyways.

Ron

I found often there is some kind of bad grounding with that buzzer. I cut the wire, got tired of hearing it. 2 years ago, 200 hours ago. Kept going off and on, never found a problem. Watch your gauges and check your fluid levels and you dont need that buzzer.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ron

What is your temp and oil pressure reading as the buzzer sounds?

Have you checked your transmission fluid?

Have you checked the tranny cooler for weeds, impeller pieces, or other obstruction?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ron

What is your temp and oil pressure reading as the buzzer sounds?

Have you checked your transmission fluid?

Have you checked the tranny cooler for weeds, impeller pieces, or other obstruction?

How do i check the tranny cooler? I have good oil pressure and temp. The trans oil is full as well. Will the dealer have to reset this switch?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Pull the hose that comes from the raw water pump off the trans fluid cooler, reach in with finger and feel around for debris.

As said above, for checking your tranny cooler. There is a metal 'grate' that can become clogged.

Does your buzzer come on immediately at key-up/engine start? Or does the motor have to run awhile? If it comes on immediately, I'd disconnect the battery for a bit, then reconnect and see what happens. If you do this, be sure the depth alarm is off once again--I don't know if the default is on or off.

It could be a number of things. I will add this as a remote possibility. My trans cooler was changed and the blankedy blank mechanic put in an after market cooler that was too small. The alarm would come on after a hard wake boarding run. If I turned the engine off for a few minutes (cool down) the alarm would stop. A REAL mechanic used a temp probe and knew the trans was over heating. Upon visual inspection, he also noticed the trans cooler was after market and way too small.

I encountered other alarm issues as well. If you can give details about the circumstances that cause your alarm to activate, maybe we can narrow it down.

Edit........the boat was a 2004 23 LSV with HH engine.

Edited by skyskier

Dear Malibu,

I love you guys. You make the most awesome boats on the planet!

And now, what I really wanted to say................how about including a trans temp guage on the dash? Also, how about a diagnostic screen on the dash (Malivue?) that will tell us why an alarm has activated?

I had to make MANY trips to the dealer with my 2004 to have them hook up their computer to read the trouble codes. My luck......it was always a general code. Nothing specific. If the boat is smart enough to tell you something is wrong, it should be smart enough to tell you what it is. Right?

My current boat is a 2008. As far as I know, my 2008 is no smarter than the 2004. If this was covered in 2009 then..............uh.................never mind.

Edited by skyskier

You can read most of the faults through the dsah setup on my 07 and I believe it is the same on the 06's as well. In the Malivue menu there is a selection to view all fault codes. I am sure the dealers on here can fill you in a little better.

Pull the hose that comes from the raw water pump off the trans fluid cooler, reach in with finger and feel around for debris.

Thanks. I will try this as soon as it stops raining here.

It could be a number of things. I will add this as a remote possibility. My trans cooler was changed and the blankedy blank mechanic put in an after market cooler that was too small. The alarm would come on after a hard wake boarding run. If I turned the engine off for a few minutes (cool down) the alarm would stop. A REAL mechanic used a temp probe and knew the trans was over heating. Upon visual inspection, he also noticed the trans cooler was after market and way too small.

I encountered other alarm issues as well. If you can give details about the circumstances that cause your alarm to activate, maybe we can narrow it down.

Edit........the boat was a 2004 23 LSV with HH engine.

The buzzer starts as soon as I crank the motor. Everything seems to run fine. I changed the oil sending unit thought this may fix it, but it didnt. I ran it this way for almost 3 months last season, but I am kinda picky about my cars and boats so Id like to get this thing to stop. i called the dealer in my area today and he wants 100.00 per hour to check it out, WOW Im in the wrong line of work.

Thanks

Ron

Did you check your owner's manual to see if the alarm can be reset at the dash? I'm almost certain there was something in my 2004 manual about that.

Only three things can trigger the buzzer. High coolant temperature, high transmission temperature, and low oil pressure. You did mention that you changed the oil pressure sending unit, but the buzzer is triggered by the oil pressure switch, not the sender. The sender is strictly for the gauge. The oil pressure switch is designed to fail in the alarm condition, therefore you can know when it failed. If you ground the wire going to the switch and the alarm stops, you have a bad switch. Replacements can be found at any auto parts store. Just be sure it is a 4-6 PSI switch. Do not ground the wire going to the sender, as gauge damage can occur. The switch and sender are right next to each other, with the switch being the smaller of the two. Hope this helps.

Edited by electricjohn
Did you check your owner's manual to see if the alarm can be reset at the dash? I'm almost certain there was something in my 2004 manual about that.

I have checked the manual but found nothing about the warning buzzer at all. IF you or anyone can guild me through it that would be great.

Ron

Only three things can trigger the buzzer. High coolant temperature, high transmission temperature, and low oil pressure. You did mention that you changed the oil pressure sending unit, but the buzzer is triggered by the oil pressure switch, not the sender. The sender is strictly for the gauge. The oil pressure switch is designed to fail in the alarm condition, therefore you can know when it failed. If you ground the wire going to the switch and the alarm stops, you have a bad switch. Replacements can be found at any auto parts store. Just be sure it is a 4-6 PSI switch. Do not ground the wire going to the sender, as gauge damage can occur. The switch and sender are right next to each other, with the switch being the smaller of the two. Hope this helps.

Great thanks for the info. I will let you know if it stops.

Ron