Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting Waikeair combo rack on tower ???

Raynman

I have a Wakeair combo rack that is two pieces mounting to a Titan tower. It's a factory tower on a 2005 LXI, I think its a Titan III not sure? Does anyone use a thin layer of rubber or anything to help tighten up the clamps? The clamps appear to have just about exactly 2" ID and the tubes 2" OD. It seems like when the clamps are tight you would still be able to rotate the rack with a little leverage.

Any other tips welcome.........

THX

05malibul0013.jpg

Edited by Raynman

If your boat truly does have a Titan on it, the outside diameter is 2.25". Are you sure that's the tower that is on your boat? Do you have a picture?

A rack that is correctly designed for that tube should fit securely without the halves of the clamp actually touching.

If your boat truly does have a Titan on it, the outside diameter is 2.25". Are you sure that's the tower that is on your boat? Do you have a picture?

A rack that is correctly designed for that tube should fit securely without the halves of the clamp actually touching.

That's what I thought as well but never installed one before. Unfortunaely I'm not authorized to post a picture in the gallery so I can not not provide an image. Maybe I can attache one to a PM? I can tell you that the tube material is brushed aluminium and the top crossbars on this tower are flattened. Didn't have a caliper handy but using a tape and eyeballing the tube it looks to be 2" not 2.25? This iwas a factory installed tower from 2005 but none of the documents with the boat specify the model.

The clamps tighten so they do touch but there is a gap of between 1/16 - 1/32 at top and bottom. Obviously I can take up some space with something but this is probably not the best solution since the profile of the clamp is not right for the tube?

That's what I thought as well but never installed one before. Unfortunaely I'm not authorized to post a picture in the gallery so I can not not provide an image. Maybe I can attache one to a PM? I can tell you that the tube material is brushed aluminium and the top crossbars on this tower are flattened. Didn't have a caliper handy but using a tape and eyeballing the tube it looks to be 2" not 2.25? This iwas a factory installed tower from 2005 but none of the documents with the boat specify the model.

The clamps tighten so they do touch but there is a gap of between 1/16 - 1/32 at top and bottom. Obviously I can take up some space with something but this is probably not the best solution since the profile of the clamp is not right for the tube?

Added Pic

The tower on your boat is not a Titan, it is an Extreme, by XTP, and is made with 1.875" aluminum tubing.

Alternatively, some manufacturers make clamps to fit the oval cross-bar, which is usually the preferred mounting location on that tower.

The tower on your boat is not a Titan, it is an Extreme, by XTP, and is made with 1.875" aluminum tubing.

Alternatively, some manufacturers make clamps to fit the oval cross-bar, which is usually the preferred mounting location on that tower.

That would explain it, thanks. I'll see if I can get the right clamps and yes the top crossbar would be better.

BTW, beautiful boat!

Thanks, and thanks for the help! Pretty nutty that I don't even know what tower I have, but I know the wake is great! I ordered the 1 7/8" oval clamps from Wakeair should be good to go. My local crew is headed out for first outing in PA/NJ today on the Deleware river, air temp is probably 65F, water 5xF with x<=5.

I'm bummed can't join them.