Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stalling 1996 Monsoon

1996 Response w/ Monsoon motor. Does not happen all the time - sparatic - after pulling skier -- whenreturning to pick up skier and throttling down - motor dies. Motor has always restarted. Sometimes have to toggle key a couple of times - Any help / thoughts?

I have done - wires, plugs, rotor, filters, fuel pump, new key switch.

Thanks for reply!!!!! Electrical problem trouble shooting as always fun. Any thoughts to being fuel system related? Engine temp sensor? Fuel Pressure sensor? Or Check valve for fuel system? None of which I even know where they are located. Sounds like Cheaper things to fix along w/ your recommendation of Electrical ground.

i had this with my boat to .....ok the board that holds all the fuses( the push in ones for lites ,blower,etc well take the four little allan key bolts out and this shuold open up, in their is a long brass plate which all the + run off it this goes on to a 2nd brass plate make sure the three bolts which pull them 2gather are tight ,other wise it only getts power some times and then it will cut out, and if you move the keg around it will push them to touch. take a look .... i only found it when i got pissed off with it stopping all the time.

1996 Response w/ Monsoon motor. Does not happen all the time - sparatic - after pulling skier -- whenreturning to pick up skier and throttling down - motor dies. Motor has always restarted. Sometimes have to toggle key a couple of times - Any help / thoughts?

Other possibilities are: a bad safety lanyard switch; loose canon plug.

If you turn the key and nothing happens - no click, engine doesn't turn over, nothing - I'd limit myself initially to electrical issues. Loose terminal on the key switch. Loose terminal on the ignition breaker (Found this numerous times). Bad connection at cannon plug on engine. And don't forget the main battery terminals.

Keep in mind that the connection may be tight, but corroded as well providing intermittent connection.

Peter

If you turn the key and nothing happens - no click, engine doesn't turn over, nothing - I'd limit myself initially to electrical issues. Loose terminal on the key switch. Loose terminal on the ignition breaker (Found this numerous times). Bad connection at cannon plug on engine. And don't forget the main battery terminals.

Keep in mind that the connection may be tight, but corroded as well providing intermittent connection.

Peter

Motor always turns over - sometimes have to toggle key to get to start - Reason i toggle is in my mind to get fuel pressure back to motor?

Other possibilities are: a bad safety lanyard switch; loose canon plug.

I did put a radiator hose clamp on the cannon plug - and each spring when take out of storage I plug in and out the cannon plug a few times to clean connections? I have not messed w/ lanyard switch yet

i had this with my boat to .....ok the board that holds all the fuses( the push in ones for lites ,blower,etc well take the four little allan key bolts out and this shuold open up, in their is a long brass plate which all the + run off it this goes on to a 2nd brass plate make sure the three bolts which pull them 2gather are tight ,other wise it only getts power some times and then it will cut out, and if you move the keg around it will push them to touch. take a look .... i only found it when i got pissed off with it stopping all the time.

Will do some checking - this is the first I heard of this and will look into - like you stating to get frustrated let alone if that boat does not start when my wife is on it - I might as well start swimming And fast - thanks for feedback!

Sounds like it could be running rich or the timing is slightly retarded, just a comment. Very hard to trouble shoot something without actually being there to witness was is actually happening, it could also be a small vacuum leak causing it to lean out but it sounds more like flooding if it's not electrical

• 2 weeks later...

I would say fuel flow. When you replaced the pump, was there crap in the strainer of the old one? If filters are left on too long, the material often breaks up and end up clogging the pump. Ask me how i know. I performed lots of service on our team boat that had somewhere in the 3-4k hrs range.