Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Fin Box

mlange

I just picked up an '07 Monza on ski-it-again, but have a question on the fin box. The '06 Monza I've already got has every set screw in the fin box, but the '07 doesn't have the two set screws in the top for setting the depth and tip. Ok, no big deal, I can just pull them from my '07, take them down the h/w store and pick up some new ones. BUT after taking a closer look the holes that those two set screws would go into aren't even threaded.

Anyone know what the heck is up with that?

I don't want to just swap fin boxes and make my problem someone else's when I sell my '06.

Thanks,

Mike

There was some sort of law suit against HO by (I guess) whoever claims to be the designer of that type of adjustable fin box, there was quite a discussion on The Waterski Forum last year on this subject. You may be able to search their archives and find it. HO's answer was to just not put the set screws in but I thought the threads were there, just not the set screw themselves. If they're not threaded you'll either have to tap them yourself, swap fin boxes, or purchase another fin box with everything there. That's all I really know about it.

Ed

Ed's right. You should be able to find appropriate screws at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware. I don't remember the size, but look for a cap head screw in the specialty screw section.

I remember hearing about the set screw thing. That's not really my issue. It's that the fin box isn't even threaded for where those two set screws would go and that's what I'm trying to understand. Anyone else seen this with an '07 HO?

Here's the response I got back from HO:

Mike,

The 07 Monzas were shipped with just plugs in the holes. They weren't threaded inserts. Yes, there was a patent issue. The current models are coming with the set screws in the fin. You can special order a new fin from your local HO retailer and avoid trying to tap an insert. It can be done if you have the tools and materials but it would probably be easier to just purchase a new fin box. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

"...easier to buy a new fin box." ??? But not cheaper!

The threads are 1/4 by 28 and i'm not sure about the lenght but i think it's an inch.

If you know anyone with decent tools he will surely have a tap for that.

Real easy job.The holes are already drill to the good size.

ICBtotallyW...

Edited by willy wally

For anyone else that wants to do this... it was easy. Took all of a few minutes and turned out perfect.

Willy Wally is correct - used a 1/4 28NF tap. The set screw is 5/8" long.

Mike

For anyone else that wants to do this... it was easy. Took all of a few minutes and turned out perfect.

Willy Wally is correct - used a 1/4 28NF tap. The set screw is 5/8" long.

Mike

There was an issue with the patient that affected the whole industry, brought on by someone not involved with skiing, it had nothing to do with schnitz.

also, just to add, the DFT (forward/back) set screw is 1"

just do it! Thumbup.gif