Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 VTX vs 08 VTX

IndigoLake

If all options were equal would you pay 5 - 6K more to get an 08 VTX. I realize you get the new MUX switches and rider presets but I am not sure of any other changes / updates. The 07's I'm looking at have 2 yrs left on the warranty and less than 100 hrs. The 08's are either promo's with hrs or hold overs but will have 3 yrs warranty. The main options are the Monsoon engine, power wedge, and bow ballast. I keep boats 10 - 15 yrs so resale is probably not a huge factor. Also, I am in no hurry so could wait another yr for hold over 09's. Right now I am running a ProStar 205 so anyone with any experience on both for slalom wakes please chime in.

Thanks!!

If all options were equal would you pay 5 - 6K more to get an 08 VTX. I realize you get the new MUX switches and rider presets but I am not sure of any other changes / updates. The 07's I'm looking at have 2 yrs left on the warranty and less than 100 hrs. The 08's are either promo's with hrs or hold overs but will have 3 yrs warranty. The main options are the Monsoon engine, power wedge, and bow ballast. I keep boats 10 - 15 yrs so resale is probably not a huge factor. Also, I am in no hurry so could wait another yr for hold over 09's. Right now I am running a ProStar 205 so anyone with any experience on both for slalom wakes please chime in.

Thanks!!

I'd go with the 08

I went through the same decision. I ended up with the 08. The price differential was a lot less though. So from the perspective of a wakeboarder.

That said I like the MUX switches, but I am a gadget type of guy. As far as the rider presets goes I have gotten very little out of it. The only one we ever use is "fill all" and then "go home".

The Power wedge Is a great option I would almost say a must.

Bow ballast is a must. I would not even think about a VTX without it. As a matter of fact you will probably add weight to the bow if you want to get the best wake out of it.

As far as the engine goes I have the 320 and am completely happy with it. If i really load up the boat i can have a bit of trouble getting on plain, but I mean really load it up. 400lbs in the bow 600lbs in the stern and 8 guys. At that point it does take a bit to plain but short of that I am happy with the smaller engine.

The 07, if I am correct, has a Sony stereo which is in my opinion better than the Black Box that is in the 08.

I did a bunch of research on this and a buddy of mine has an 07 with a floating wedge. So if you have any questions id be happy to help, knowing that I am a wakeboarder / surfer.

I've had an 07 VTX and now have an 09 VTX. Both had all ballasts and the 320 LCR. Whoever said bow ballast in the VTX is a must is absolutely correct. These boats tend to react to subtle weight changes much more than the bigger boats. This is especially noticeable in side to side weight. For example, when it's just me and a buddy riding, we don't completely fill the starboard ballast tank to account for the weight of the driver.

There isn't much difference b/w the 07 and 08. I personally like the old rocker switches better than the new MUX switches, BUT....you have to have the new MUX switches to make the preset feature functional. Also, you mentioned holding out for a leftover 2009. If you do this, you will get the new windshield style which is a huge benefit over the first generation windshields that were available on the 07 and 08 boats. Those windshields had issues, some of which are documented on this website. Also, the 09 would give you the option of having Malivue which is awesome, but perhaps an even better feature is the Autowedge. I've put about 8 hours on my 09 boat and have given those features as much of a workout as I can so far and am really sold on both of those features. As far as the Monsoon option, I had a 320 in my first boat and ordered my 2nd boat with the 320. I've always been very pleased with the power/performance.

Good luck

Thanks!!

'07! I would think with the production cuts there won't be many '09 left overs. $5-6K savings pays for a lot of other things. If there was a problem, I'd rather be replacing a toggle switch in a few years vs. the MUX stuff.

Edited by CTSunsetter

Thanks!!

I'm suprised nowbody mentioned the hull designs. Both 07 and 08 came with the cut diamond and the wake hulls, if you concerned about the slalom wake you might want to make sure which ever one you get is the cut diamond, or at least ski behind the wake hull to make sure it is sufficient for you needs.

I ended up with a wake hull more because of cost then desire, but I'm coming from an I/O deck boat, so I know it will be better then what I had. I tried the cut diamond and loved it. I'm hoping the wake hull will be close. If you wait long enough I should be able to ski it by late May and can give you a review.

Have fun and good luck.

I don't know if I would bet on a lot of great deals on '09's. Most dealers are not ordering a lot of stock boats this year. I would always suggest starting with pricing a brand new boat if you are thinking about a 1 or 2 year old boat. It establishes how good of a deal the 07s and 08s really are. You might get a better deal than you expected. If you keep your boat for 10 - 15 years it is nice to get it exactly like you want it.

The LCR might be a good value in the VTX but again if you are keeping it for 15 years, the Monsoon is a little nicer and the Hammerhead... WOW!!! Thumbup.gif

Directly answering your question if they were identically equiped and same hours and the only difference was the MUX switches... I personnaly would save the money and buy the '07.

Edited by Matt_Alger