Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I have two fuel filters?

johnblutarsky

I have a 2000 Sunsetter VLX with the Monsoon....

It looks like I have an inline type filter before the fuel pump and then a second filter after the pump. Am I confused? If there are in fact two filters do I need to change them both? Does anyone know the part numbers? Sorry for all the questions this is only my second year with the boat. I just don't want screw anything up...

You may have two filters my 01 VLX did, usually you just replace the low pressure one (before the pump).

You can get the high pressure one from www.skidim.com, and then the 3/8" inline low pressure one is just a wix filter you could probably pick up from NAPA.

If you do change the high pressure filter (may be a good idea since you don't know when it was last changed), bleed down the pressure in the system via the schrader valve on the fuel rail unless you would enjoy a gasoline shower.

-Chris

I eliminated the low pressure filter (first one right after the tank) and installed a double ended brass barb hose mender. I don't see why anyone needs 2 filters. Did this years ago and haven't had a problem.

I think I'd rather have the low pressure filter to protect the fuel pump versus the one after (plus you lready have the screen on the fuel pump to get clogged before the 2nd filter.

-Chris

I have a 2000 Sunsetter VLX with the Monsoon....

It looks like I have an inline type filter before the fuel pump and then a second filter after the pump. Am I confused? If there are in fact two filters do I need to change them both? Does anyone know the part numbers? Sorry for all the questions this is only my second year with the boat. I just don't want screw anything up...

You do have two fuel filters,

The in-line fuel filter is WIX 3033, which looks like this http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

The pressurized fuel filter is WIX 33481, which looks like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=741 be really careful changing this one, make sure not to cross thread the fittings and bleed the fuel pressure off at the fuel rail so you don't spray fuel everywhere when you change it. Have towels underneath to avoid spilling. One teaspoon of fuel smells the bilge up for a long time!

I think I'd rather have the low pressure filter to protect the fuel pump versus the one after (plus you lready have the screen on the fuel pump to get clogged before the 2nd filter.

-Chris

The in-line fuel filter is much more important to service because those high pressure pumps are great for pushing fuel but the second they start to pull fuel they go down hill fast! The put that secondary fuel filter in to protect the fuel injectors from anything that got past the fuel pump. Once fuel systems improved enough, they deleted that fuel filter after the pump because it wasn't necessary anymore.

Isn't there a "sock" on the fuel pick-up in the tank?

I can't remember.

No stock on that year, just a wire mesh screen to stop any large debris from coming thru. On the in-tank fuel pumps (08 to current) they have a sock media that the fuel pump pulls the fuel thru.

-Paul

I eliminated the low pressure filter (first one right after the tank) and installed a double ended brass barb hose mender. I don't see why anyone needs 2 filters. Did this years ago and haven't had a problem.

Pete,

I went the other way. Several years ago one of my ski buddies had intermittant engine sputter. It turned out to be the fuel filter. Shortly after that I installed an extra (cheap) inline low pressure fuel filter between the tank and the engine in an easily accessible spot. I replaced this filter every couple of years or so because it is cheap to buy as a generic inline filter. The cheap filter protects the expensive filter.

Last year when Oregon mandated E10 fuel with Ethanol in it they sent out a letter warning all registered boaters to install a water/fuel separator. I added this device in place of the generic fuel filter and it uses a huge cartridge that resembles an engine oil filter. I am presuming that this filter is protecting my expensive engine filter.

I'm not looking to take the risk of a dead boat. The regular places I go it's no big deal for me as long as there are folks around. However in 2007 I towed 2 different boats ( a Nautique and a Bayliner cruiser) back to the ramp and both times there were no other boats around to bail these guys out but me. The Nautique was an early evening Sunday in August and the cruiser was on a Tuesday in late September and the cruiser had been dead for two days. This occurred on the Crooked River arm of Lake Billy Chinook south of the bridge which is south of the Sundance ski course. The busiest lake in Oregon but sometimes there's no traffic in the far reaches of the lake. My point is that people get stranded and I will make the necessary precaution to avoid being the tow-ee.

• 2 weeks later...
The pressurized fuel filter is WIX 33481, which looks like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=741 be really careful changing this one, make sure not to cross thread the fittings and bleed the fuel pressure off at the fuel rail so you don't spray fuel everywhere when you change it. Have towels underneath to avoid spilling. One teaspoon of fuel smells the bilge up for a long time!

-Paul

Can anybody explain exactly how to relieve the fuel pressure before the change?

There is a schrader valve (like on a tire) on the fuel rail. I want to say its on the opposite side of the motor from the fuel pump near the distributor. It will have a cap on it.

-Chris

Edited by 99response