Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malivue and Autowedge First Impressions

Malibusteve

Well I put my boat in the water for the first time yesterday and was able to get about 3 break in hours on the it. Also, this was my first opportunity to play with the Malivue. I LIKE IT! With the bimini stowed and in full sun, I was surprised at how good screen visibility is. I was really anticipating that it would be difficult to see with the sun at your back but I was wrong. It is very easy to see. I don't think too much of the gauge screen that shows fuel level, engine temp etc. though. I don't know why, but I just didn't like that particular screen much. Maybe that'll just take some getting used to. I especially like the view when you have the cruise screen showing. It's big and easy to see. As far as the autowedge goes, that is a MAJOR improvement. You can really feel the difference in the boat getting up on plane. If any power wedge users want to know what it feels like, then load your boat and drop the wedge to the fully down position. AFTER the boat gets on plane, raise the wedge to the max wedge position. This is what it feels like but of course it is done automatically. Cool feature. I'll reiterate that I was only on the boat for 3 hours and didn't use any of the above features towing a rider, but initial impression was very favorable FWIW

And you did not call me for a ride??? I was at the lake yesterday waxing mine getting ready for the warmer weather... What was the water temp???

Billy

By "auto wedge" do you mean free floating wedge?

No, the auto wedge is a power wedge that adjusts position automatically to save on fuel and allow you to get on plane more quickly.

pistol,

it's part of the preset function.

Say you like you're wedge at 70% of max displacement. Instead of trying to get on plane with that much drag.. The boat simply deploys the wedge to full down where you have the least displacement.

Once you're within 85% or something of the riders preferred speed, the wedge will then move to the 70% max displacement or whatever the preset says. Very nifty stuff

pistol,

Say you like you're wedge at 70% of max displacement. Instead of trying to get on plane with that much drag.. The boat simply deploys the wedge to full down where you have the least displacement.

Once you're within 85% or something of the riders preferred speed, the wedge will then move to the 70% max displacement or whatever the preset says. Very nifty stuff

Do other people not do this themselves? I thought it was a common practice.

I'm not sure that many people think of it. FWIW, when we demoed I thought that that was one of the most impressive features of the '09 models, it worked that well. And IMO there's plenty to be impressed with for '09.

mtaylor,

apparently you can do it manually (but i wasn't able to the one time i drove a friend of mine)

the auto wedge just makes it one less thing to worry about while boating

I test drove an 09 VLX last fall and was sold on both the maliview and auto wedge; actually I was impressed with the whole boat. Not sure how the maliview will hold up over time but I liked it.

And you did not call me for a ride??? I was at the lake yesterday waxing mine getting ready for the warmer weather... What was the water temp???

Billy

sorry Billy. It was kind of a last minute thing. Can't wait to catch up with you on the water this year

pistol,

Do other people not do this themselves? I thought it was a common practice.

As someone else said, I just never thought to do it myself, and its nice for people like my wife to just concentrate on driving straight and keeping the babies in the boat while she pulls me

I'm surprised that the trim tab pistons can handle that much force on them.

Thats why the system sends the wedge all the way down before you take off , then when get close to the set spend, 85 percent. Then the software moves it up. Really all it has to do is let it move up. The water does the work this way.

Billy

BTW water temp was between 55 adn 59....two different boats were out riding on Friday. both had full suits. both said it was COLD

Yeah, I am sure that it was COLD... The water did not feel that bad to me, but all I did was stick my hand in up tp my elbow.... And, it was a long ride across the lake from where you put in to where I was... And it was pretty windy too, to head across the big water. We can't wait to catch up with you a little later when it warms up some.