Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ultra hard water stains

Looking to remove this hard water build up, but wondering if there is any easier way. I've tried the vinegar/lysol cleaner trick but I have to scrub like a ba****d to remove a small patch. Am I just being lazy?? or is there a more aggressive product? It is a film that covers the whole hull, but you need to look close to see it. I wouldn't mind a showroom shine this year! Thumbup.gif Thanks.

Dave

Looking to remove this hard water build up, but wondering if there is any easier way. I've tried the vinegar/lysol cleaner trick but I have to scrub like a ba****d to remove a small patch. Am I just being lazy?? or is there a more aggressive product? It is a film that covers the whole hull, but you need to look close to see it. I wouldn't mind a showroom shine this year! Thumbup.gif Thanks.

Dave

Have you tried CLR or LimeAway? Wet the boat, put the CLR etc onto a sponge straight out of the bottle undiluted (wear rubber gloves and eye protection), and scrub an area (it will foam up a bit). Rinse immediately, move to the next section etc. May take a couple of applications first time, after that one go over should do it if you don't allow too heavy a buildup. I've used both LimeAway and CLR for years and both work great. Let us know how it works for you.

Ed

i use 3m,s rubbing compound it has a little grit to it .and i use a buffer then i put to ggod coats of wax and if you leave your boat in a lot then before or after you use it once a weekend you use a snorkel and mask and just wipe the boat down in the water wit a rag or sponge and that will keep that line away

i use 3m,s rubbing compound it has a little grit to it .and i use a buffer then i put to ggod coats of wax and if you leave your boat in a lot then before or after you use it once a weekend you use a snorkel and mask and just wipe the boat down in the water wit a rag or sponge and that will keep that line away

If Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic doesn't cut it, then I agree that the next step would be to use a rubbing compound, followed by a glaze and wax. I keep a brush in the boat, and occasionally throw it out to whoever has just finished a set. They then take a trip around the boat with the brush before they get back into the boat. That helps to keep some of the Willamette River scum off of the boat.

Lime-away would not touch it! Tried the toilet tonic again and it does work but I have to scrub like mad. I must be lazy.....will pick up the 3M rubbing compound and try it. Do I need to worry about swirling scatches when hand applied? I've never used it before. The film is really bad on the stainless rub rail and letters as well. Arms should hit 18" after I' am done. I can't bring myself to spend $22.00/ft for an exterior detail.....must quit whining and just rub!!

Dave

I had the same problem with my black boat. Tried the usual stuff, but nothing worked well. Compound, finishing polish, and wax worked on a test area, but I just could not see doing the whole boat like that. Someone suggested Meguiar's 44 marine color restorer. I tried that and followed up with Mother's California gold carnauba cleaner wax. That combo worked really well and seemed like it was less effort than any other method.

Lime-away would not touch it! Tried the toilet tonic again and it does work but I have to scrub like mad. I must be lazy.....will pick up the 3M rubbing compound and try it. Do I need to worry about swirling scatches when hand applied? I've never used it before. The film is really bad on the stainless rub rail and letters as well. Arms should hit 18" after I' am done. I can't bring myself to spend $22.00/ft for an exterior detail.....must quit whining and just rub!!

Dave

That is why you would follow with the glaze and wax.

Maybe try some 3M Finesse It. It's milder than rubbing compound, & if you end up needing to use rubbing compound you'll use the Finesse It after the compound as a finishing polish anyway. Follow all of that with a good wax job & wipe it down on the ramp.

Try wonder foam it works well I put it on lots of boats that come in hammered, just get the boat wet, spray it on, let it do its thing, then rinse it off that easy some stuff may need a little more love but altogether a great product look it up online its www.larsensales.com