Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing recs

Tedro

I have never wakesurfed but I am wanting to learn this spring. I am 6'1" tall and ski a great deal and have wakeboarded a few times. I figured wakesurfing would be easier on my knees (body, etc.)

What is a good wakesurf board for someone like myself for general wakesurfing? I know there are several different types and lengths.

What do you all think?

Stock ballast, or are you adding more on top of MLS? Do you have rear hard tanks?

Stock Ballast/MLS, wedge, and large friends sitting on back corner....think that will work for me?

Check THIS out to see a VLX hull weighted and THIS for a LSV hull weighed which is the same SV23 hull as yours, the only big difference with the VLX and yours is the boat on the video is a SV25 Wake hull and your boat is a SV23 Wake hull but, the weighting should be the same, less if you have more crew.

As far as boards, do you want to Skim or Surf?

Stock ballast, or are you adding more on top of MLS? Do you have rear hard tanks?

Stock Ballast/MLS, wedge, and large friends sitting on back corner....think that will work for me?

Check THIS out to see a VLX hull weighted and THIS for a LSV hull weighed which is the same SV23 hull as yours, the only big difference with the VLX and yours is the boat on the video is a SV25 Wake hull and your boat is a SV23 Wake hull but, the weighting should be the same, less if you have more crew.

As far as boards, do you want to Skim or Surf?

What do you mean weighted? With people? Will mine be similar with the equipment I have?

I guess surf??? What is the difference between skim and surf?

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/itemde...1I4977256b1d64a

The composite X 5.0. This is a great board for bigger/taller riders and a great board that will also let you progress and not hold you back.

I as many others made the mistake of buying the standard type boards. And progressed so fast that they were worthless to me in no time.

So now we have 3 Walker boards. I have the bullet which is my board. The Composite X 4.5 which is my wifes board and the girls board. And I play on it when I want to mess around with 3's. And we have the composite x 5.0 that my brother in law rides. He is 6'3" and 290 and rides it ropeless all day. This is also my end of the day, sit back and chill board.

We also use this board for newbies. I have gotten every person we take out, up the first time out on this board and so many friends hooked on wakesurfing.

I find it easier to teach people on a board like this that is fast. As most newbies want to lean back. And on a slower board, it is just too hard to get in the pocket. On a fast board like this. It is much easier to progress.

Tim

Wet Sounds

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/itemde...1I4977256b1d64a

The composite X 5.0. This is a great board for bigger/taller riders and a great board that will also let you progress and not hold you back.

I as many others made the mistake of buying the standard type boards. And progressed so fast that they were worthless to me in no time.

So now we have 3 Walker boards. I have the bullet which is my board. The Composite X 4.5 which is my wifes board and the girls board. And I play on it when I want to mess around with 3's. And we have the composite x 5.0 that my brother in law rides. He is 6'3" and 290 and rides it ropeless all day. This is also my end of the day, sit back and chill board.

We also use this board for newbies. I have gotten every person we take out, up the first time out on this board and so many friends hooked on wakesurfing.

I find it easier to teach people on a board like this that is fast. As most newbies want to lean back. And on a slower board, it is just too hard to get in the pocket. On a fast board like this. It is much easier to progress.

Tim

Wet Sounds

so you think the x5.0 for somebody like me 6'1'' 210 lbs is a good option? What does the extra tracking mean? What should I look for as far as that and the traction option?

Thanks

I have never wakesurfed but I am wanting to learn this spring. I am 6'1" tall and ski a great deal and have wakeboarded a few times. I figured wakesurfing would be easier on my knees (body, etc.)

What is a good wakesurf board for someone like myself for general wakesurfing? I know there are several different types and lengths.

What do you all think?

I'm about the same size/weight. I ride the CWB Tsunami, and love it. The LF Custom is fun too, but it's way more money.

As far as weighting your boat: I had a 07 Vride and had the following setup: All stock ballast full (yes, even the non surf side). Large Fatsac (300+/- lbs) in back, surf side locker. Same large FatSac on the floor of surf side. 200lb next to battery(under glove box), Large (300+/-) Fatsac in front surf side. With only an observer on board it was good. With a bunch of friends, it was unreal.

Good luck.

What do you all think?

I'm about the same size/weight. I ride the CWB Tsunami, and love it. The LF Custom is fun too, but it's way more money.

As far as weighting your boat: I had a 07 Vride and had the following setup: All stock ballast full (yes, even the non surf side). Large Fatsac (300+/- lbs) in back, surf side locker. Same large FatSac on the floor of surf side. 200lb next to battery(under glove box), Large (300+/-) Fatsac in front surf side. With only an observer on board it was good. With a bunch of friends, it was unreal.

Good luck.

What length is the CWB Tsunami and the Custom? You think they would be good for a beginner?

What do you all think?

Good luck.

Hey bs001, do you have your wedge up or down?

Good luck.

Hey bs001, do you have your wedge up or down?

So all ballast full, a sack in the front , and 5 people on surf side should be good...right?

What do you all think?

Good luck.

What length is the CWB Tsunami and the Custom? You think they would be good for a beginner?

BOTH ARE 4'10"

The Tsunami is 57". It would definitely be 'ok' for a beginner, and great for intermediate and advanced riders. The Custom comes in 50" or 58", and would be a little tough to learn on as it is very, very buoyant. Its buoyancy makes it a little tougher to get up on, for beginners, because it's hard to push down in the water.

All of that said: I would highly recommend either of these boards to a beginner because you are going to progress rapidly (if you're surfing a lot). The problem with large beginner boards is that they are great the first 5 times you go out, but are extremely boring once you've learned to catch the wave. I've had a couple friends buy these big beginner boards and they end up being a waste of space on the boat after a month. I guess if I had to pick one board to buy it would be the Tsunami. Keep in mind, I've rode quite a few wakeboards, but only a handful of surf boards. See what others have to say about some of the Inland Surfer and Hyperlite boards. I'd steer clear of the Phase 5 stuff for now, most/all of their boards are skim style boards that are better suited for intermediate to advanced riders.

As far as weighting the boat: I don't use the wedge at all. It made the wave really big......and really sloppy. The wave with no wedge and lots of weight is super, super clean and fast. Again, others might have had luck with the wedge....I just didn't like it.

I think a large Fatsac in the front, all ballasts full, and 5 people should be enough (but the more weight the better). Try it, you can always add weight later. Trust me, you will definitely know when you've got it dialed. The 'pocket' will be really, really fast.

Good luck..... maybe I'll post a pic of the wave when I get a sec....

The Tsunami is 57". It would definitely be 'ok' for a beginner, and great for intermediate and advanced riders. The Custom comes in 50" or 58", and would be a little tough to learn on as it is very, very buoyant. Its buoyancy makes it a little tougher to get up on, for beginners, because it's hard to push down in the water.

All of that said: I would highly recommend either of these boards to a beginner because you are going to progress rapidly (if you're surfing a lot). The problem with large beginner boards is that they are great the first 5 times you go out, but are extremely boring once you've learned to catch the wave. I've had a couple friends buy these big beginner boards and they end up being a waste of space on the boat after a month. I guess if I had to pick one board to buy it would be the Tsunami. Keep in mind, I've rode quite a few wakeboards, but only a handful of surf boards. See what others have to say about some of the Inland Surfer and Hyperlite boards. I'd steer clear of the Phase 5 stuff for now, most/all of their boards are skim style boards that are better suited for intermediate to advanced riders.

As far as weighting the boat: I don't use the wedge at all. It made the wave really big......and really sloppy. The wave with no wedge and lots of weight is super, super clean and fast. Again, others might have had luck with the wedge....I just didn't like it.

I think a large Fatsac in the front, all ballasts full, and 5 people should be enough (but the more weight the better). Try it, you can always add weight later. Trust me, you will definitely know when you've got it dialed. The 'pocket' will be really, really fast.

Good luck..... maybe I'll post a pic of the wave when I get a sec....

Yeah a pic would be nice. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll look into the Tsunami...

Wonder if there are many used boards for sale that are decent?

Check out the General Store at WakeOutlaws.com. There are a large number of boards to choose from. You might also take a look at the Phase 5 Oogle. It's a good board to learn on and you will not 'grow' out of it in a month.