Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Hybrid Wakeboat

ADDICTED2WAKE

Forgive me if this has already been sent, I believe it was just published today.

http://23e.epicboats.com/

IMPACT ON THE ENVIRONMENT

Over 50% REDUCED Total CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSIONS

Nearly 90% REDUCED CARBON MONOXIDE EMISSIONS at wakesurfing rope lengths

Virtually NO RISK OF CO2 POISONING with our Hybrid Drive system

FUEL EFFICIANCY

THE EPIC 23E BURNS 50% LESS FUEL THAN A TYPICAL WAKEBOARD BOAT on a 4 hour wakeboard outing

Usage

ENJOY A FULL DAY OF UNRESTRICTED WAKEBOARDING with this Hybrid System

YOU CAN WAKEBOARD FOR 1 HOUR ON BATTERIES without ever burning a drop of fuel

You can wakesurf for 3 hours on batteries without ever burning a drop fuel

IT CAN BE FULLY RE-CHARGED by the generator in about an HOUR

THE 23E CAN be RE-CHARGED FROM A typical 110v WALL OUTLET or a 220v Wall Outlet once home or at a dock

I wonder if Toyota is building the powertrain for this boat or who is. With all the added weight of the batteries you wouldn't need to worry about ballast.

I wonder if Toyota is building the powertrain for this boat or who is. With all the added weight of the batteries you wouldn't need to worry about ballast.

Yea, I don't think anyone will want to try to ski behind this! Look at the bow rise when it is running even at wakeboard speeds; all of the batteries must be in the stern.

It's great to see a boat manufacturer taking steps to decrease fuel usage. Time will tell if it will catch on.

It's definitely an interesting experiment, but due to the cost/volume equation with HEV technology right now, I don't think you'll see this in production any time soon.

Notice how all the "crusin" pics have only people sitting up front, does seem to be weighted towards the rear.

I agree, I like the idea & tecnology... just can't get behind the epic look (I'm sure someone likes it :unsure:)

Notice how all the "crusin" pics have only people sitting up front, does seem to be weighted towards the rear.

I agree, I like the idea & tecnology... just can't get behind the epic look (I'm sure someone likes it :unsure: )

It's probaly because they have quite a bit of weight in the back all ready (batteries, generator, electric motor, etc)

I wish they had some photos of the engine system / rear storage.

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

I'm sure people will figure it out soon, there is no way to stop the fact that battery powered fuel reserves are on their way. It's a matter of making the fuel energy source storage economical and as of now it's not, but when they can get the metal composition and weight figured out I hope I'm still around :)

I can't wait for the hovercrafts Whistling.gif I think those will be fun Yahoo.gif

I'm sure people will figure it out soon, there is no way to stop the fact that battery powered fuel reserves are on their way. It's a matter of making the fuel energy source storage economical and as of now it's not, but when they can get the metal composition and weight figured out I hope I'm still around :)

I can't wait for the hovercrafts Whistling.gif I think those will be fun Yahoo.gif

Hey, doesn't one of those discount travel sites have one of those! Crazy.gif

Hey, doesn't one of those discount travel sites have one of those! Crazy.gif

Maybe, LMOA :)

ski behind it, that's funny. They're the only boat that doesn't seem to care about skiers! There's no crossover hull business, it's a wake boat built for boarding. I'm not a fan of the look but this really gets my attention! Enough to overlook the look of the thing.

I wonder if it would remain buoyant if swamped?

It will have to if they want to have it USCG approved, and insureable.

What is the USCG requirement?

I always thought it was a NMMA requirement, but someone informed me it doesn't apply for NMMA over a certain length - around ~20'.

I'd say they'll need a lot of foam to satisfy USCG & other authorities, Swamping may be an issue....

But I bet you won't have to add stereo batteries!!!

Pat

You wouldn't need the stereo to be as loud with the silent electric motor - awsome!

Good point.

It amazes me how quiet a hybrid car is going down the road when the gas engine is not running. So quiet that I've almost stepped out into the roadway twice in front of one because I didn't hear anything coming.

One thing I've heard from guys that work at Honda and Toyota dealers is that the batteries in these cars only last about 3-5 yrs. and when it's time to replace them, it's like $4K?? I don't remember exactly the length of time or dollars but, the cost was significant. Just think about how many batteries that boat has and how much gas you could have bought when you need to replace them.

I believe one of our Texas friends was our resident battery expert. I remember something along the lines of how much was actually involved in the manufacturing of the batteries and then all the associated costs new and replacement and that it would take like 8 years for a real ROI, not only for the consumer but on the environment in general. I am sure it is getting more efficient every day though.

Edited by zzbutler