Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5 month old gas ok?

FreshTracks

I have about a 1/4 tank of 5 month old gas sitting in the tank. Didn't put stabilizer in it. If I put some in now, along with some octane booster and a full tank, am I ok?

Thanks.

I have about a 1/4 tank of 5 month old gas sitting in the tank. Didn't put stabilizer in it. If I put some in now, along with some octane booster and a full tank, am I ok?

Thanks.

I would drain it especially if it is E10. But thats just me.

If you are fuel injected you should be fine. I've had gas that has sat that long in a carb and it made a mess, but in the gas tank it was ok.

In the Socal climate you really aren't going to have much to worry about. I would recommend filling up the tank and then add stabil if you plan on another several months of storage. Keep in mind it'll be a bit harder to start, make sure the battery is fully juiced.

I would fill the tank. The light end hydrocarbons will evaporate from the fuel leaving a slightly different blend in the tank. The key differences will be vapor lock along with some detonation possibilities. Mixing in some new fuel should blend it back to being fine. It is pretty cheap insurance compared to the other potential.

Plus1.gif

You put new fuel on top of it and run it...you will be fine.

I'd top it off... It's only 2 bux a gallon now and not 4.

Down here in Florida with all the high humidity a lot of people use K100 fuel treatment on old gas, gummed up carbs, hard to start engines,and to store gas for an extended period of time. It encapsulates the water molecules with carbon so it will burn. If you use enough it will eventually burn off all the water. I use it on both boats one carb. and one fuel injection, also works great on the 4 stroke outboard especially when it hasn't been run for year. K100 Fuel Treatment

I have left over gas in my tank every year ... in fact my dealer suggest storing it full.

If I was you I'd add some Dri-Gas and don't worry about it. I always add some Dri-Gas the last time I run the boat in the fall.

I use Stabil for storage and that is about a 1/4 tank, I usually fill my tank in the spring with premium, charge the battery, hook it up to the hose and fire it up. It has worked every time. Then we load up and head to the lake to start another season of fun.

You might think about adding premium.

I use Stabil for storage and that is about a 1/4 tank, I usually fill my tank in the spring with premium, charge the battery, hook it up to the hose and fire it up. It has worked every time. Then we load up and head to the lake to start another season of fun.

You might think about adding premium.

I have the HH, so I can only put premium in it. I know, lucky me....lol...

Thanks.

I would drain it especially if it is E10. But thats just me.

What would you do with it?

Starton is the way to go as a stabilizer. I run it my boat,sleds and quad. Startron does not allow the harmfull effects of ethonol to seperate in the fuel. I work part time at a friends boat shop in the fall and have winterized hundreds of boat with startron and have never had any issues with gas going bad.