Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone winterize their own 'Bu?

obrienman

I'm looking at a late 90's Malibu Response with a 320 Monsoon. Curious about winterizing tips etc. for this engine.

In the past, with other boats, I've basically done this: Change engine oil, fog engine, add antifreeze, add fuel stabilizer, remove battery.

Anyone tackle this job on their own for a similar 'Bu?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• areamike

• Eric LX

• Chia

• WaveGAR

I'm looking at a late 90's Malibu Response with a 320 Monsoon. Curious about winterizing tips etc. for this engine.

In the past, with other boats, I've basically done this: Change engine oil, fog engine, add antifreeze, add fuel stabilizer, remove battery.

Anyone tackle this job on their own for a similar 'Bu?

Depending on where you live you may want to drain the water from the block also. Stupid question, but you're not just getting ready to do this now, right Whistling.gif

Just did it myself for the first time last year. Hoping all has gone well when I go to start it back up here in another month or so. :) Easy as heck to do. Took about 1.5 hours, but this was the first time I ever did it. Next year shouldn't be more than 30 minutes or so.

• 7 months later...

When you add the antifreeze, what method do you use to get it into the engine. Through the water intake or pour it in through open hoses?

Then, drain or leave in until spring. I have a number of MC owners here that are in the drain the water and call it good.

As I head towards the first winter, this is the issue that keeps me up at night. I am sure that once I go through the process it will all make sense.

I drain the block and all the hoses, then I pour just a little RV antifreeze into the engine and exhaust manifolds throught the hoses. I don't use much antifreeze, about a half cup in each location.

Don't forget your trailer too. Check and air up the tires, grease the winch and tongue jack, check or change the brake fluid, and change the oil in the hubs (if you have oil bath type). Also release the tension on the winch. I rotate my tandem axle tires too.

edit, let me add that I also jack up the side of my trailer and turn the wheels a bit about 4 times thru out the winter. I mark the tires with chalk so I put a different spot on the ground each time. Yea, I have a lot of free time, but I also have tires on my pop-up that are 24 years old. They will be replaced this spring.

Edited by electricjohn
Don't forget your trailer too. Check and air up the tires, grease the winch and tongue jack, check or change the brake fluid, and change the oil in the hubs (if you have oil bath type). Also release the tension on the winch. I rotate my tandem axle tires too.

You are the MAN Electric John! I do some of that stuff on my trailer but I don't know if I would rotate the tires if I had tandem axles. Good on you.

I drain the block and all the hoses, then I pour just a little RV antifreeze into the engine and exhaust manifolds throught the hoses. I don't use much antifreeze, about a half cup in each location.

I take it that you leave the drain plugs out when you add the antifreeze?

There are plenty of people that will not like my answer to this, but no. I used to leave the drain plugs out all winter. Then one spring I dropped her in the lake without putting the plugs back in, which lead to minor panic, a few choice words, and then the realization of what I had done.

There are plenty of people that will not like my answer to this, but no. I used to leave the drain plugs out all winter. Then one spring I dropped her in the lake without putting the plugs back in, which lead to minor panic, a few choice words, and then the realization of what I had done.

You saved it before anything major happened though right?

I winterized myself. It is my first time with the bu but I have done it many times on our older glastron. I DIDN'T add any antifreeze. I just assumed gravity would take all the water out, the engine has been fogged already so I am hoping I don't need to start it back up to run antifreeze through it?

Edited by Wakes

Yep, I winterize my ride myself too.

Drain/Change Oil/filter

Remove Block plugs and Manifold hose and drain water.Replace plugs and re-attach manifold hose.

Blow water out of heater.

Add Sta-bil to gas.

Run antifreeze through motor until I see some exiting exhaust.

Remove and inspect impeller.

Remove battery, put on trickle charge indoors.

Do an overall clean of the interior.

Quick wax the sides and hull.

Remove swim platform for winter re-do project.

I actually have jacked the trailer up, removed tires and put it on blocks. Then store the tires indoors.

I probably missed some stuff, but that is just off the top of my head.

The one thing I like to do is fill everything with the RV antifreeze. I don't like leaving everything dry. gaskets seals hoses no air no rust? Nothing drys out. No chance of not getting all the water out. Put the Sta-bil in on your last outing so it goes through the full fuel system.

Leaving them out is a BAD idea. Exposed to the air, the threads can rust and then you are screwed in the spring.

Seems like everyone has their own lay up proceedure and there are a lot of great suggestions here. I've been storing my own boats for close to 20 years. Over the last 10 years or so West Marine has offered -60 non toxic anti freeze that has a corrison inhibitor added to it. Not sure if that's really needed but it makes me feel good when the temp dips down during our Michigan winters. I use about four gallons in the block/risers/cooling system. They also offer the antifreexe in -50 and -100 but the -60 is the best price performer.

One caution when fogging, remember that there are two intake systems out there, wet and dry. If you have a K&N type air cleaner you have a dry system and should not fog the engine through the intake. Damage can occur to the MAS and other components doing so. This engine needs to have the plugs pulled and oil sprayed into each cylinder. The wet system with the old style flame arrestor can still be fogged through the throttle body.

Drain/Change Oil/filter

Remove Block plugs and Manifold hose and drain water.Replace plugs and re-attach manifold hose.

Add Sta-bil to gas.

I actually have jacked the trailer up, removed tires and put it on blocks. Then store the tires indoors.

This is a great list for the do it yourselfer.

As SIXBALL mentioned, put Stabil in the gas on your last outing so it gets run through the motor thoroughly.

Lastly, for us carbureted engine guys, I like to blow a half can of Gum Out carb and jet cleaner through the carb on the last outing as well just to get any gum that may have built up over the summer out before it has time to solidify over the winter.

Sadly, I will be doing all of this tonight after I take my last Wakeboard set for the season Cry.gif

Drain/Change Oil/filter

Add Sta-bil to gas.

Mike, How do you add the anti-freeze? Do you run a hose into a bucket and let the pump suck it out until gone or do you do some type of gravity feed and how many galllons? I like the idea of having the antifreeze in the block vs dry.

This is my first inboard so I have never seen it done. All my prior experience is with outboards.

Drain/Change Oil/filter

Add Sta-bil to gas.

Mike, How do you add the anti-freeze? Do you run a hose into a bucket and let the pump suck it out until gone or do you do some type of gravity feed and how many galllons? I like the idea of having the antifreeze in the block vs dry.

This is my first inboard so I have never seen it done. All my prior experience is with outboards.

Yes, I set a bed pan in the bilge are and fill with RV antifreeze and then take hull hose off and place it in the bed pan. Not sure how much it takes. Usually IIRC, less than a gallon when I see it coming out the exhaust. Only takes a few minutes.

Drain/Change Oil/filter

Add Sta-bil to gas.

run the boat with a fake-a-lake or similar until it warms up (opens the thermostat). Shut off the engine and place a 5 gallon container filled with non toxic anti-freeze and run a hose from the fake-a-lake into the bucket, start the engine and let run until it has sucked the bucket almost dry.

Yes, I set a bed pan in the bilge are and fill with RV antifreeze and then take hull hose off and place it in the bed pan. Not sure how much it takes. Usually IIRC, less than a gallon when I see it coming out the exhaust. Only takes a few minutes.

I was talking to the local Malibu dealer (if 2hrs away is local) and they said to stay away from the pink RV anti-freeze. There point is that it can cause corossion and possible gasket prob. They use either green or blue and mix 50/50.

Edited by Eric LX

I was talking to the local Malibu dealer (if 2hrs away is local) and they said to stay away from the pink RV anti-freeze. There point is that it can cause corossion and possible gasket prob. They use either green or blue and mix 50/50.

I'll take that into consideration. Considering I have use RV Antifreeze for years and never had a problem, I guess it's just an experience thing.

Would be interesting to see that backed up. Do they also dump the green anti-freeze in the lake too?

Would be interesting to see that backed up. Do they also dump the green anti-freeze in the lake too?

In the end, I recommend this:

Marine/RV Antifreeze -100

or

Marine/RV Antifreeze -50

Edited by areamike