Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WAKESETTER 23 LSV OR MC X35

JAY101

I need a little help deciding on a boat. I have narrowed it down between the Wakesetter and X35. I'm sure both boats are great wake boats, but which one has the better ride. I will spend a lot of time cruising a big lake. The lake can get rough at times. Has any one spent time in both boats? Which one has the best ride?

I have not ridden either boat, but have owned a X-Star 2005. The ride was very good with the X-Star and if you compare that hull to the X-35 I must say that the X35 must be pretty GOOD. It has higher sides also which is good for some rough water. Like said I have no idea how the 23LSV is in comparison. The X-35 is probably very good.

I need a little help deciding on a boat. I have narrowed it down between the Wakesetter and X35. I'm sure both boats are great wake boats, but which one has the better ride. I will spend a lot of time cruising a big lake. The lake can get rough at times. Has any one spent time in both boats? Which one has the best ride?

I think the X35 is quite a bit more expensive than the 23 LSV. I got a chance to get in a X45 at the boat show and I thought the thing was amazing!!! I would research the dealerships and see who is going to offer better customer service on the service side, then make your choice.

The X35 is probably going to ride better in rough water than the 23LSV. The X35 has more of a deep V hull and is a bigger and heavier boat. The 23LSV and X35 arent really apples to apples comparisons. The X30 and 23LSV is a better comparison. The X35 would probably compare a little better w/ a 247. While the X35 is a wake boat, it has much more cruiser ammenities than anything in the Malibu line IMHO. Did I mention price. The X35 is probably going to cost $20K more than a 23LSV, I would imagine.

The X35 is probably going to ride better in rough water than the 23LSV. The X35 has more of a deep V hull and is a bigger and heavier boat. The 23LSV and X35 arent really apples to apples comparisons. The X30 and 23LSV is a better comparison. The X35 would probably compare a little better w/ a 247. While the X35 is a wake boat, it has much more cruiser ammenities than anything in the Malibu line IMHO. Did I mention price. The X35 is probably going to cost $20K more than a 23LSV, I would imagine.

You sure about that?

You sure about that?

OK, so the X35 is only 6inches longer than the LSV23, but it weighs 1000lbs more and it retails for $12-15k more.

You sure about that?

OK, so the X35 is only 6inches longer than the LSV23, but it weighs 1000lbs more and it retails for $12-15k more.

No I was giving you crap about your statement. I think you meant apples to oranges. Don't forget about the easybake oven and microwave options.

You sure about that?

No I was giving you crap about your statement. I think you meant apples to oranges. Don't forget about the easybake oven and microwave options.

U r right about all the options on the X35. MC really seems to be working hard at capturing some of the cruiser market rather than staying w/ pure ski/wake boats.

I just think the X30 and LSV23 are more apples to apples than the X35 and LSV23.

You sure about that?

U r right about all the options on the X35. MC really seems to be working hard at capturing some of the cruiser market rather than staying w/ pure ski/wake boats.

I just think the X30 and LSV23 are more apples to apples than the X35 and LSV23.

^^Other than the X30 doesn't handle worth a crap and the wake's not to great. Mastercraft dealer I talked to didn't even recommend the purchase of one.

Thanks for the help. It sounds like I should be comparing the 247 and the X35. Does anyone think there would be a big difference in the ride between the two boats.

After reading all the posts, I am some reason hungey for a fruit salad.

I saw a X55 at the show, I think it might have had a crapper in it. Boat was huge, I thought it was a little too much.....

Are you going to trailer the boat much? If you are, I wouldn't go any bigger than the X35 or 23LSV. I think that trailering gets exponentially more difficult when you go above 23ft in boat length. As to your question, I have never driven a X35 or a 247 so I can't say which would handle rough water better, but for some reason I would lean toward the X35. Like I said, I think MC is trying to capture some of the luxury cruiser market w/ boats like the X35, 45, 55, and 80 and therefore, should handle rough water well. Those boats certainly arent geared toward the hardcore wake crowd.

Edited by shade

When we purchased our 08 23LSV we were comparing it with the X45. We traded in a 25' Crownline.. so the X45 seemed like a great step over to the v-drive world. I would have loved to try the x35 but the dealer was out.. but that didn't really matter because the X35 was significantly more money. X35 is designed for rougher water, big lakes, etc. It would be a great boat for just driving around the lake as well at boarding/towing. In my opinion the LSV is going to be a better wakeboard/tow boat and while it will do fine on big water it really can't compare to the X35. We found that the X45 did very very well on big water and the X35 was designed to do even better. The x35 has an even deeper deep-v hull and more freeboard... plus the bow doesn't slope down. You give up handling to accomplish this. In the end we choose the Malibu 23LSV for the following reasons:

1) it was a dream to drive compared to the X45

2) I already owned a 5200#(dry) boat and i didn't want another boat that was close to 7000#(trailer/gear) to tow around.

3) My wife loved the interior on the Malibu

4) prefered the Malibu for wakeboarding

5) When we were looking we found the perfect LSV ready for delivery.. the X45s we found weren't optioned the way we wanted them.

The MC X35 is a sweet boat.. but i agree with others on this thread, i really don't think they are direct competitors... or at least they have different target buyers. Even if you add the 247 into the mix vs the x35 i still believe they are very different. If I boated on big water i wouldn't hesitate... i would have gone with the x35 (if i wanted to spend that much cash.) Most people think the lsv23 and 247 "do really well in rough water".... they don't. Yes.. certainly better than a smaller boat, but compared to the Enzo240 or the X45/x35.. its a pretty rough ride. The 'bu certainly outperforms the bigger boats with regards to handling (the 'bu feels more like a sports car vs the sluggish plush ride of a lexus (X45))

So with all that i will give you the same advice i was given from members of all the boat owner boards... and it is the best advice anyone ever passed along.... DEMO ALL THE BOATS!! Spend a significant amount of time with each boat.. and if you can, demo them back to back (we had the X45 ride then immediatly jumped on the 23LSV (I knew i was sold when they slid it off the trailer into the water:). Drive them all... the right boat for you will become obvious.. and it might even surprise you!! (we started with Tige and Centurion... never even considered Malibu in the begining.. driving all the boats helped me figure out that the Malibu was the clear winner for us.

Well you can write the interest on the X35 off your taxes as a second home since it has a crapper and sink in it...

I'm not sure you're correct on this. I think the X-55 has the crapper. I sat in a X-35 yesterday and it had the optional sink and fridge.

If your bodies of water aren't frozen, go demo some boats and give us some feedback.

Well you can write the interest on the X35 off your taxes as a second home since it has a crapper and sink in it...

I'm not sure you're correct on this. I think the X-55 has the crapper. I sat in a X-35 yesterday and it had the optional sink and fridge.

I looked into the tax rules when i had my Crownline... if i remember correctly you need:

1)potty

2)sink

3)ENCLOSED SLEEPING AREA

You could throw a tarp over it and call that "enclosed".. but you better hide if the taxman starts askign questions.

Something to Ponder:

I like to cruise some, too. Mainly the Sacramento Delta area. But by far the most fun I've had in 36 years of owning boats has been in smooth water not rough water.

If you can change where you go to improve the smooth water conditions you might be happier in the long run. Benefits include that a smaller boat costs less to buy, takes less gas money to operate (we're going back to $3 gas, IMHO) and of course is easier to tow.

I do most of the towing with my Duramax for our crew. I've towed Mike's 26' Mariah (when all 5 couples go for a cruise), Rick's Sunsetter, and Dennis MC Prostar 197 (on a single axle trailer). I can tell you that I need to be extra careful towing the 26 foot boat because it takes twice the distance to stop as Dennis' Prostar. Dennis' Prostar has the best wake but Rick's Sunsetter has accomodated 4 couples of us for water sports. We mostly have 3 or 4 or 5 of us guys go to ski. I think nothing of hooking up the Prostar and driving 93 miles to our low traffic smooth water lake. Two hours to get to FLAT water is worth the drive, every time !

I've had some cruiser experience and I find that for myself bigger is not better. Frankly, both Mastercraft and Malibu has some wake friendly boats that will handle some rough weather if you get caught.

Just a consideration as these Malibu's are expensive and you want to maximize your fun.....