Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Ski

Monk

OK Crew, I am heading down to the Cincinnati boat show this afternoon to start my search for a Ski for myself. Background information I have been skiing for at least 30 years just always used a ski from any combo set that was laying around or was/is in someones boat.I would appreciate any insight any of you may have regarding how to choose a ski, what brands you like (if it even matters) etc. I'm a big guy and getting older (6'8 and 220lbs-left foot forward) but prefer to not go to one of the "fat boy" models as they seem to not have any of the cutting ability I would like. I'm not going to be signing up for any competitions or anything but still would enjoy to free ski fairly aggressively. Looking forward to any and all your all inputs.

I would suggest taking a look at either the Triumph or NOS in the HO line, or the Theory or Senate in the Radar line. In either case, I would give the Rail boots in the Radar line a look. I just picked up some at our boat show to go with my Triumph ski to replace some worn out Venoms.

Any of those skis will allow you to ski aggressively, but are more forgiving (and less expensive) than the top of the line competition skis. In most cases, the Radar line is based on the HO line, but with some subtle modifications - they would say improvements on design. I spent some time talking with Chris Sullivan, who is in charge of the Radar ski line.

You will probably be looking at either a 69" or 71" ski at your size. What length are you on now?

Edited by obski

I have been skiing for some time now and have tried many different brands, my favorite is HO. I have skied the phantom prior to riding the truth for the last 5 years and just bought the system 8. The system 8 like to be on edge and does not like to be flat, I would try and demo some skies before buying anything but make sure you know the brand that you want first because there are many different types out there. Or if you decide on the type of ski, then go out and demo different brands in that style, I would try and not get too much into the technical aspect of it because once you buy the first one it gets addicting to have another one :)

I would suggest taking a look at either the Triumph or NOS in the HO line, or the Theory or Senate in the Radar line. In either case, I would give the Rail boots in the Radar line a look. I just picked up some at our boat show to go with my Triumph ski to replace some worn out Venoms.

Any of those skis will allow you to ski aggressively, but are more forgiving (and less expensive) than the top of the line competition skis. In most cases, the Radar line is based on the HO line, but with some subtle modifications - they would say improvements on design. I spent some time talking with Chris Sullivan, who is in charge of the Radar ski line.

You will probably be looking at either a 69" or 71" ski at your size. What length are you on now?

No idea what ever a combo ski would be from someones boat?

I have been skiing for some time now and have tried many different brands, my favorite is HO. I have skied the phantom prior to riding the truth for the last 5 years and just bought the system 8. The system 8 like to be on edge and does not like to be flat, I would try and demo some skies before buying anything but make sure you know the brand that you want first because there are many different types out there. Or if you decide on the type of ski, then go out and demo different brands in that style, I would try and not get too much into the technical aspect of it because once you buy the first one it gets addicting to have another one :)

Not ever having my own ski before. It would be my hope to get one that I could enjoy for as many years as these 40+ legs will work. I think I will fall in love with the first ski I try. So today at the boat show I should try to focuses on two or three like skies, get as much information from the Pro or who ever. Then go out and find a pro shop with those kind of skies and demo each of them over a day.

Edited by Monk

No idea what ever a combo ski would be from someones boat?

They vary. Try to demo a 69" ski in either the HO or Radar line as noted with some Rail boots and I think you will be quite surprised how much better you can ski and how much more fun you are having.

Something like or a H.O.Triumph is a good bet. Its not a wide body but does add just a small amount to width. It is a ski that could take you into some tournament skiing but is a very good free skiing ski. If your not skiing at 34 or 36 mph go with a longer ski also. as tall as you are go with a 68" or I don't know if they make a 70" If you ski well have deep water starting down well I would go with a double hi wrap binding it will make a world of difference and take you to another level.

Just looked $359.00 HO Triumph with double hi wraps at wileys and you can go up to a 71" ski. Just to give you a idea of pricing.

I'm just over 200 lbs myself, but a little shorter than you are Whistling.gif

I'm on a 69" HO Triumph with double animal bindings. I really like the ski, it's easy to get up and comfortable to ski on. My kids and wife are on the same ski in a 65" version. They call it the "magic ski" because the shape makes it fairly easy to do a deep water start.

With that said, I think I'm going to try and demo a Connely F1X. Over on fifteenoff.com it got some pretty glowing reviews, many from folks that already liked the Triumph (like me)

Something like or a H.O.Triumph is a good bet. Its not a wide body but does add just a small amount to width. It is a ski that could take you into some tournament skiing but is a very good free skiing ski. If your not skiing at 34 or 36 mph go with a longer ski also. as tall as you are go with a 68" or I don't know if they make a 70" If you ski well have deep water starting down well I would go with a double hi wrap binding it will make a world of difference and take you to another level.

Just looked $359.00 HO Triumph with double hi wraps at wileys and you can go up to a 71" ski. Just to give you a idea of pricing.

Great, deep water start OK, speed 34 mph or so speed has never been a problem. Is 71" the longest they make? I snow ski and I understand the whole reason why I have very long snow skies. Are water skies like snow ski equipment? Skiing all my life with my back foot in a foot plat, a hi back foot wrap might freak me out. Anybody out there that has make the switch? (+) or (-)'s?

I suggest reading the independent ski test review, there were several mid level skis tested. I also strongly suggest doing a demo program and choosing a ski from several that you try. Each person likes a different ski, every ski has it's own personality. The slight cost of a demo program will be greatly offset by allowing you to choose the ski that suits you the best. It is nearly impossible to choose a ski for someone else with limited knowledge of what they like. The ski test proved to me that a ski that one person thinks is the best, absolutely does not work for another skier. Good luck and have fun. I would use the recommendations above, all good ones, as a starting point but not as final selection. Many ski shops and even H2Osmosis (mail order) will work with you on a demo program.

If you ski @ 34, 36 mph you may not need a long ski. People who open water ski very often ski at slower speeds that is why I was suggesting a long ski. You don't want to ride deep in the water it will use a lot of your energy very fast. I also think the Connelly F1X is a good ski. A 71" ski is a long ski.

Pay attention to GalaxyToad. I don't know him personally but I know his background and have followed his skiing he knows his $hi#..... Thumbup.gif

Edited by Sixball

The only addition I'd make to any of the above is to suggest that if you're comfortable skiing at 34 mph a 69" ski is plenty big enough, I'd suggest against a 71" at that speed. You're a big boy but not particularly heavy for your height IMO so I wouldn't think that you really need the longer ski.

The suggestions for a Triumph, Senate, Nitro, or F1X are right on IMO. IF you can demo all of the above that would be best. As Woodski said, they all have their own personality and what works for one may not necessarily be best for another. Any of these will feel light years better than some ordinary combo ski. You'll likely kick yourself for waiting so long to buy a good ski. Enjoy!

Ed

Great, deep water start OK, speed 34 mph or so speed has never been a problem. Is 71" the longest they make? I snow ski and I understand the whole reason why I have very long snow skies. Are water skies like snow ski equipment? Skiing all my life with my back foot in a foot plat, a hi back foot wrap might freak me out. Anybody out there that has make the switch? (+) or (-)'s?

I made the switch years ago and will never go back, but it is more drag on the deep water starts and docks start are much more difficult and dangerous (if you care about that). That said, there are still top pros who ski with a single boot and rear toe plate so it is just a matter of preference. Some people prefer to be able to move their rear foot around, others don't. See, e.g.,

http://web.mac.com/andymapple/Site/Home.html

Also, I would recommend trying a Connelly Concept or an F1X. The Concept is a very stable, forgiving ski that is for advanced free skiers and intermediate to advanced course skiers. The F1X is like the F1 with a wider tail and (I think) its a little softer than the F1. You don't need anything longer than a 69", IMHO, but a 68" should be fine if you are skiing 34-36 MPH. Whatever ski you get, if you are used to skiing on a combo ski, you are in for a treat--and an eye opener. Yes.gif

WOW my head is spinning!!! Just got back from the show, got a lot of great information. No way to make a decision tonight like I thought, talked with a lot of pro shop personnel. What I think is best for me is to use the information from you all @ the crew. Find a pro shop in OH or TN and demo a few with and without the high back foot wrap. Keep my choices to 2-4 skies after that I'll just loose my mind. Pull the trigger with one of the 4, and make it work one way or the other. Like someone said it is going to be much better than what the heck I am on now. As alway the Crew comes through with down to earth guidance and direction. Thank you one and all. It might be a few months before I get back with an update, but I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

Monk.

Plus1.gif For the Triumph (69in)

I’ve been on one for two seasons, tried the Nitro and had bad results, the review after it came out stated that it had an uneasy ride over the wake, I agree.

My 28 or so years of recreational slalom have brought about 6 or 7 different skis. The Triumph is by far the best handling and smoothest (to me) ski I’ve owned or ridden. Especially for the money imo.

I weigh 220lbs and normally free ski 15 off @ 32mph or so

In the course - 15off @ 28-30mph

If you try the Triumph, there is a good chance you’ll like it. I wish I did a few years and 3 or 4 skis ago. :Doh:

I've ben riding the HO line of skis since I restarted slalom skiing 4 years ago or so... I'm 6'2", 240 and typically ski at 30 or 32. I am currently on a 69" Senate C & really enjoy it. H2Osmosis has a demo program, and NoWake used to let you buy & trade in/up any of the skis in their line for credit towards another.

I also made the transition from RTP to Dual boots about 3 years ago. Took a little adjustment, particularly on the start, but I prefer the control that the dual bindings give.

I can probably save you some time/$ to try out the senate if you can find some bindings to fit it - at that height, I doubt any bindings I have will fit you.

I am 6'5", 230. I was skiing a 71" Triumph. I liked the ski but found it a bit hard to put on edge and just thought it was a bit too big for me. With a little guidance from GT, I ended up with a 69" Senate. I absolutely love this ski, it does everything I want it to.

I changed from a Connelly Hook to a HO System 8. The Hook was a 2001 or 2002 model but was effectively a re-released ski from the 70's. The Hook had felt great compared to the part combo pair i was using so i used it for about 3 years. But then was convinced by a coach to upgrade off a date design and I couldn't believe how much better the Syetm 8 was. Big immediate improvement. Go out and try some skis and expect them to be much much better than any part of a combo pair.

I've ben riding the HO line of skis since I restarted slalom skiing 4 years ago or so... I'm 6'2", 240 and typically ski at 30 or 32. I am currently on a 69" Senate C & really enjoy it. H2Osmosis has a demo program, and NoWake used to let you buy & trade in/up any of the skis in their line for credit towards another.

I also made the transition from RTP to Dual boots about 3 years ago. Took a little adjustment, particularly on the start, but I prefer the control that the dual bindings give.

I can probably save you some time/$ to try out the senate if you can find some bindings to fit it - at that height, I doubt any bindings I have will fit you.

Wienrdog: Over the years where did you find skies to demo local or mail order? This seem to be the first place to start.

Wienrdog: Over the years where did you find skies to demo local or mail order? This seem to be the first place to start.

Wiley's is great to work with, and H2Osmosis has a mail order demo program.

It's been a challenge to find skis locally. I have been able to use skis from friends/acquaintances when on the lake, but finding skis of the correct size has been a challenge. I've also tried skis when visiting some ski schools. Fortunately, I don't upgrade skis as often as many and have been lucky so far in searching out the skis i've been interested in. I'll likely be on this ski (Senate C) for a LONG time.

It's been a challenge to find skis locally. I have been able to use skis from friends/acquaintances when on the lake, but finding skis of the correct size has been a challenge. I've also tried skis when visiting some ski schools. Fortunately, I don't upgrade skis as often as many and have been lucky so far in searching out the skis i've been interested in. I'll likely be on this ski (Senate C) for a LONG time.

Any ski schools around this area?