Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water safety course

Monk

I have been on a boat or driving a boat in OH/TN for over 20 years. I was think about taking an online boat safety course which is offered by the state of TN called BOATED. Some of the propaganda on their web site, says you could reduce your boat insurance by having a Tennessee Boating Safety Education Certificate. I was just wondered if anyone had taken a course like this and found any boat insurances savings? I am not the only boat driver, my wife will also be driving the boat and is on the policy. I am going to take this course with the insurances savings or not. I want to gain additional boating knowledges along with understanding all the TN rules and regulation. We no longer boat in Ohio so I thought it could not hurt to know all/most of the State rules/regulation. The potential insurances saving is all gravy. Thanks for your thoughts and input.

I took a boating safety class back in 1990 so I could get a discount on my insurance. To this day I continue to get a discount when I show them the certificate when I switch insurance companies. My agent is the one who recommended it way back then.

I took a simple state of CA test. One where you read the book, take the test at the end of the book (the answers are in the text you just read) and mailed it in. I think it was free. They sent me back some cheap looking certificate but, it gets me some money off my insurance. I keep this cert. in my boat at all times because if I'm ever in any type of accident with another boat, first thing I'm gonna show the water cops is that I'm certified. I think I made my G.F. get one too.

BoatUS gives me a 10% discount because I took a course. It had to be an "officialy recognized course, can't remember who did the approving, but the New Hampshire State course was approved

Took the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's online course last night. Provided by NASBLS. I did not understand how much material I would need to go over. Once I got started I could not stop. Received my temporary Tennessee Boating Safety Education Certificate after taking a 60 question test. The course was very informative. Currently we have Ski Safe boat insurance, called them this AM to see if they offered a discounts for having a boat safety certificate. No discount offered. Will be checking with other insurances Co's to see if we can find any savings, with or without a boat safety course. I would recommend this type of course to anyone who would like to understand all the rules/regulation of their State. You will not be disappointed by taking a boating safety course. Good Luck. Have a great weekend everyone.

$73 per year reduction on a $60k complete policy through state farm in Missouri. Policy was ~$630 annually pre-reduction.

I am still getting quotes no luck on any discounts yet. Most of the them are around the same price as we have with ski safe.

I took a simple state of CA test. One where you read the book, take the test at the end of the book (the answers are in the text you just read) and mailed it in. I think it was free. They sent me back some cheap looking certificate but, it gets me some money off my insurance. I keep this cert. in my boat at all times because if I'm ever in any type of accident with another boat, first thing I'm gonna show the water cops is that I'm certified. I think I made my G.F. get one too.

Same here.

Crazylady and I both took the CA course and we received a discount on the Malibu and the houseboat, which are insured through different companies. Neither company has asked to see the cert. for renewable coverage.

Just hang on to the certs. for proof.

I'm looking at my State Farm boat ins. bill right now. (which reminds me I do need to pay this)

-$64 for safety course so, premeium is $612 for the year.