Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choosing which wakesurf board to buy

thoekstr

I think the Ride is better than the Venture - faster, more maneuverable with almost as much flotation. The speed & flotation will be important behind a DD.

Not trying to highjack, but what is so different about a DD if you can add the weight to the back and front as required. Is the wake going to be that much different on a DD based on speed while surfing?

Two things with DD vs VD. DD engine is in the center of boat, so it is harder to list the boat to one side or the other to clean up the wake. Also, most DD have a lower freeboard, so it is limited on the weight it can handle without swamping. My Ride has pretty much the same hull SV23 as some of the older DD just the Wake version and again a higher freeboard.

The only thing that I would add to that is that with a DD there is less available space to add weight in the right areas. The biggest thing though is that the engine in the back of a VD acts as a natural form of ballast, whereas in a DD the engine weight is better displaced throughout the hull. Think of the difference between a mid-engine car & either a front or rear engine car. A mid engine has a very neutral balance to it with very little weight bias to one end or the other, whereas cars with the engine at either end have more of a weight bias.

So in surfing you want most of the weight in the back? Are there ratings for surfboards on speed? I wasn't in the market for a surfboard until I read this thread and now I have to get one Whistling.gif between this and the bullet speakers I'm sure to get buried this year!! If we only get enough water :)

I think the Ride is better than the Venture - faster, more maneuverable with almost as much flotation. The speed & flotation will be important behind a DD.

Not trying to highjack, but what is so different about a DD if you can add the weight to the back and front as required. Is the wake going to be that much different on a DD based on speed while surfing?

Two things with DD vs VD. DD engine is in the center of boat, so it is harder to list the boat to one side or the other to clean up the wake. Also, most DD have a lower freeboard, so it is limited on the weight it can handle without swamping. My Ride has pretty much the same hull SV23 as some of the older DD just the Wake version and again a higher freeboard.

The only thing that I would add to that is that with a DD there is less available space to add weight in the right areas. The biggest thing though is that the engine in the back of a VD acts as a natural form of ballast, whereas in a DD the engine weight is better displaced throughout the hull. Think of the difference between a mid-engine car & either a front or rear engine car. A mid engine has a very neutral balance to it with very little weight bias to one end or the other, whereas cars with the engine at either end have more of a weight bias.

So in surfing you want most of the weight in the back? Are there ratings for surfboards on speed? I wasn't in the market for a surfboard until I read this thread and now I have to get one Whistling.gif between this and the bullet speakers I'm sure to get buried this year!! If we only get enough water :)

We surf w/ a 750 bag in the rear compartment, 750 midship and a 400 and another 250 up front. We have another 250 is we wanted to add it in the front walk way.

I've ridden the Inland Surfer, Landlock, and others I can't remember. I'm very happy w/ my LF Venture, it's slow comparatively to say the Inland surfer but suits me very well!

We surf w/ a 750 bag in the rear compartment, 750 midship and a 400 and another 250 up front. We have another 250 is we wanted to add it in the front walk way.

I've ridden the Inland Surfer, Landlock, and others I can't remember. I'm very happy w/ my LF Venture, it's slow comparatively to say the Inland surfer but suits me very well!

So, no weight in the bow? We have the Hyperlite Co Ex 4' 4" and I don't like it, seems to slow down at the upper lip of the wake. I've done ocean surfing before and wake surfing is different because your much more limited in the space you have, so I still need to learn more and find the right board to have fun.

Edited by 68Slalom

We didn't use weight in the bow of our direct drive, the wave just wasn't big enough to justify trying to lengthen it in that manner. Try getting as much of it concentrated on that rear corner as you can, from the engine box back.

The Coex is a small board for that boat, I think that if I were you I'd start looking at some of the boards in this thread. Matching the board to the rider is important, but in the case of a DD it's just as important to match the board to the boat. Slider & I had good luck with a Ride behind our DD, if you get an opportunity to try one I would give that a shot.

In a DD, yes you want as much weight in the back as possible. It's different in a vdrive because of the engine location, but DD boats tend to be so neutral that you really want to mash that back corner as much as you can.

We'll try that. We did 2 440's in the back corner, center ballast full, and a 250 in the bow on one side plus everyone sits on the back where the fat sacs are at. I just need someone with more experience to go out with us sometime :)

We didn't use weight in the bow of our direct drive, the wave just wasn't big enough to justify trying to lengthen it in that manner. Try getting as much of it concentrated on that rear corner as you can, from the engine box back.

The Coex is a small board for that boat, I think that if I were you I'd start looking at some of the boards in this thread. Matching the board to the rider is important, but in the case of a DD it's just as important to match the board to the boat. Slider & I had good luck with a Ride behind our DD, if you get an opportunity to try one I would give that a shot.

Thanks, I think I'm starting to understand the basics Thumbup.gif

Smaller, shorter waves that DD boats put out need boards that have a combination of more length & more flotation, & a large rider will exacerbate the problem. The Hyperlite boards are lacking in the flotation department & the Coex hamstrings you even further with its length. There are some good recommendations here, so have some fun. :)

So, no weight in the bow? We have the Hyperlite Co Ex 4' 4" and I don't like it, seems to slow down at the upper lip of the wake. I've done ocean surfing before and wake surfing is different because your much more limited in the space you have, so I still need to learn more and find the right board to have fun.

Ya we do usually a 400 and 250.

For a DD you should be looking for a board that has a light rocker, bouyant and not to short, I would look for something in the five foot range, give or take.

I do not agree with only weight in the back of a DD you should start with a 60/40 split with 60 in the rear, to get a wave you can ride without having the nose of the board over the swim platform you need to sink the whole boat. The engine in the middle of the boat does not work against you the DD 247 takes less weight to produce the same wake as the v-drive version and you do not have to have sacs laying in the seat.

Start off by weighting the boat with the 60/40 combo and then shift the VAB ballast around the boat to adjust the wake. It takes time to get the wake the best it can be, take your time plan a day to just tweak it, shift your VAB, vary the speed with each weight change and you will find the right set up. I also suggest the you video each change, start by having the person with the camera explain the setup in detail and then video the action for at least a minute or two. This way when you return home after a day of making a ton of different changes you can review all the footage and decide what was the best set up to start with the next time you are out. Also do not stop working at it as soon as the wake looks ok, you might be one or two adjustments away for the best wake the boat can produce.

This is the approach we used when we started out last year in our 2008 Centurion Enzo SV240 and after a couple of outings of tweaking the wake, we ended up with this.

enzo_sv240.jpg

<shrugs> I'm just going off of my own experience with our direct drive that was very similar in size to Tony's. Weight up front took the push away that you needed to stay in the pocket. It mellowed out the wave too much, & even with the rear stacked we never, ever had a situation where any of us were ramming the back of the boat. YMMV

<shrugs> I'm just going off of my own experience with our direct drive that was very similar in size to Tony's. Weight up front took the push away that you needed to stay in the pocket. It mellowed out the wave too much, & even with the rear stacked we never, ever had a situation where any of us were ramming the back of the boat. YMMV

Funny I am also talking about my experience with direct drives, the particular one I am referring to is an 05 21 XTI. If you only weight the corner, the wave turns out to quick causing the main part of the sweet spot to be near the swim platform. I never said anything about "ramming the back of the boat" Dontknow.gif in my post I said, “to get a wave you can ride without having the nose of the board over the swim platform" Also if you are serious about wanting to load the boat to surf you might want to invest in either some ProX bricks or pop bag type ballast because of the seat configuration.

Go out and try all the configurations you can and use the one that YOU like the best... Surfing.gif

68 Slalom, Which side do you mostly ride on Darkside or Regular. On the XTI you might want to put some weight in that hatch behind the driver if your riding Darkside. On regular side sacs on floor from stern to observer's seat. VAB on the seats at the stern. center tank full, and if you have it wedge down. If it is the power wedge start with it all the way down( least amount of weight) and then bump it up until the face of the wake cleans up. I'm the same as you started with the skinny stick and due to bad shoulders moved to the fat stick. Only able to waterski once a month or so the rest of the time is wakesurfing. I miss the speed of waterskiing,but if you like the cuts(carves) of waterskiing you'll love the snapbacks of wakesurfing.

Edited by Surfin247