Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choosing which wakesurf board to buy

thoekstr

I am trying to choose between the following boards:

- Hyperlite Landlock 5'11"

- Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6"

- Liquid Force Venture 5'6"

- CWB Ride 5'3"

- Ronix Stage 5'4"

I will be riding behind a D-D with a fat sac and some V.A.B. and I am 185lbs, so the wake will likely not be enough to go ropeless, but I would really appreciate input on which of these boards would be best for me. I have enjoyed the few times that I have surfed behind friends' boats and want to get a board to use behind my own boat when the lake is too rough to ski.

Thanks for the input.

Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" would be my vote.

I own this board and it's a great beginner / small wake surfboard to learn on. It's perfect for teaching people how to surf and get the hang of things. When you get the hang of it more you can remove the center fin and the board gets a little faster, you can run just one larger center fin if you wanted to also.

Good luck!

-Paul

I will second that vote. the broadcast is a must have. it is easy to learn on and great on a small wake. that being said be careful. once you start you will get hooked and find your self wanting a bigger wave and faster board. Whistling.gif

Sorry, but I wouldn't buy any of those boards. I've ridden them all except for the Ronix. My experience hasn't been as good with wakeboard companies trying to make 'wakesurf' boards. They are slower to react and hold back your progression. I've had better luck with wakesurf companies making wakesurf boards. Here is a recommendation for a 6'0" 200 lb guy off of another forum:

In order by recommendation:

#1) Outlaw (LARGE) made by The Walker Project

#2) Inland Surfer Swallow

#3) Inland Surfer Red Woody / Inland Surfer Blue Lake

#4) The Walker Project Composite-X 5.0

#5) TX Fast Fish

I currently own an Inland Surfer Yellow Loogey, Inland Surfer Blue Lake and a The Walker Project F-18. TWP is my favorite board, but requires a pretty big wave.

Edited by skurfer

We used both a Broadcast & Ride behind our direct drive while we had it. The Broadcast probably has the least amount of flotation out of those boards. While it's a great beginner board, in my experience it's not for a direct drive. We've used the Broadcast, Venture & Ride, & of those I'd give the nod to the Ride in terms of flotation, maneuverability & progression (it's not just a beginner board). The Venture would also work well, but is more of a beginner board & you'll probably top out with that one sooner. I don't have experience with the Ronix, so I can't comment. The Landlock is a beast & won't give you much more than a straight line, so I'd stay away from that one.

Skurfer makes a good point, but unless you've surfed before & know what you want, I'd be hesitant to drop that kind of money on your first board. The ones that you're looking at (the Broadcast & the Ride in particular) are easy sales as used equipment, so even if you do end up wanting to upgrade you won't be out a lot.

I Have an Inland Surfer Blue lake, HL Landlock and HL COEX. For Beginners, the Landlock is the easiest because it is very stable. The Blue Lake is much more fun because it is a lot faster, but less stable and a little harder to ride for true beginners. However, if I had to choose one board for beginners, it would be the Blue Lake because you will have a lot more fun on it once you get the hang of surfing. The coex is awesome, but definately not a beginner board.

We have the broadcast 5'6" the broadcast 4'8" and a outlaw walker(the best board i have been on) Thumbup.gif and another custom walker being ordered for the wife. we have also rode many others including the cwb ride and most phase 5's. WE LOVE the walker boards. the only reason we keep the broadcst boards is for others that go with us to ride or to just goof off on.

post-5306-1232119960_thumb.jpg

Edited by txwakejunkie
I am trying to choose between the following boards:

- Hyperlite Landlock 5'11"

- Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6"

- Liquid Force Venture 5'6"

- CWB Ride 5'3"

- Ronix Stage 5'4"

I will be riding behind a D-D with a fat sac and some V.A.B. and I am 185lbs, so the wake will likely not be enough to go ropeless, but I would really appreciate input on which of these boards would be best for me. I have enjoyed the few times that I have surfed behind friends' boats and want to get a board to use behind my own boat when the lake is too rough to ski.

Thanks for the input.

I have ridden all of these boards,and owned the Ride and Broadcast personally. The easiest to sell was the Ride. The Broadcast took a little longer and only got $100. As you can tell I got rid of them. I wish I had known what style of ride I preferred. I would have saved a lot of money. I am 185-190 and 5'10" I got the most use out of the Ride, out of all the boards you mentioned. Your size and wake won't really give you much chance to see if you like a skim style board. You'll probably need to stick to surf style or a hybrid (skim/surf) like the TWP Comp X 5.0. Most of the boards mentioned will run around $300 new. The TWP Comp X 5.0 also sells for $300 new and having owned two different ones. It is the only board I have kept since moving on to a TWP custom CarbonTek Bullet. I kept this particular board for new riders because of its ability to be both skim/surf type board. It all depends on the size and type of fin you use or even finless. It is 5 ft., 21-22" wide, a 1-1.5" nose rocker and just under a inch thick. Compared to the boards you mentioned it is very light ,around 5lbs. with traction. Great for beginners with 3.5" fins., 1" ground down fins a great skimmer , 4.5" Scimitar fins a great surf style slasher and you can even get a little air on it. If I could do it all over again it would have been the only production board I would have purchased until I moved on to a custom made board. Wakeoutlaws.com sells them and sometimes Thewalkerproject.com has them on sale with traction and free shipping. You might want to check out those sites. Here is some pixs with both the Ride and Comp X 5.0. The wake is small like it might be on a fully loaded DD. In the beginning all we used was a 400 lb. sac in the trunk and the wedge on a 21' Malibu Ride. You should be able to achieve a similar wake with 500-750 lb sac along stern and 500 lb along the surfside. Just make sure your bilge works. P3040027-640x480.jpgP3040029-640x480.jpgP8050142-640x480.jpgP8050144-640x480.jpg

I learned on the Broadcast and it seems to be one of the premier beginners board. It seemed great to learn on but dont know how long it would hold your attention.

I currently have a Phase 5 Oogle and love it. But I will be trying the Ronix Koal once it gets warmer. It looks like a little slasher and I really like the direction Ronix is going and thing it could be one of the first good surfboards from a wakeboard company.

IMO I have to agree with Skurfers suggestions.

I know it is not on your list but I have tried/& own quite a few boards already (won't bore you with the list) and I think the Inland Surfer Red Woody is the best board I have been on for small wakes. It also works well for riders of any size or ability.

I also like Shredd Stixx but the JaMako I have likes a little bigger wake.

I also agree with Surfer but if your looking for a price point board and just starting out then you have a good list to start from. For me I liked the Venture over the broadcast and have not been on the ride or ronix.

We have the broadcast 5'6" the broadcast 4'8" and a outlaw walker(the best board i have been on) Thumbup.gif and another custom walker being ordered for the wife. we have also rode many others including the cwb ride and most phase 5's. WE LOVE the walker boards. the only reason we keep the broadcst boards is for others that go with us to ride or to just goof off on.

That board is HOT!!! almost as HOT as this one...VVV

f18_07.jpg

This is my second season on an Outlaw, I have tried tons of boards but, no matter what I keep going back to the Outlaw.

That board is HOT!!! almost as HOT as this one...VVV

f18_07.jpg

This is my second season on an Outlaw, I have tried tons of boards but, no matter what I keep going back to the Outlaw.

Very nice, but I prefer Black.P8280082-800x600.jpgP8280085-800x600.jpg
Damm Surfin, that board is AWESOME!!! I love it. Thumbup.gif
Thanks! It's a Walker CarbonTek Bullet with custom artwork done by D. Serrano. The board is very light, bouyant and super fast. I even rode it behind the 95 Echelon with just VAB. It took awhile and lots of $$ and boards, but I finally found what I like. Nice thing about being carbon it should last a very long time.
I think the Ride is better than the Venture - faster, more maneuverable with almost as much flotation. The speed & flotation will be important behind a DD.

Not trying to highjack, but what is so different about a DD if you can add the weight to the back and front as required. Is the wake going to be that much different on a DD based on speed while surfing?

Here one of my customs from TWP, the "Rocket Fish" which also has custom art from Serrano. The pictures do not do the art work justice, the gun has different shades of metalic silver that give it a 3D look.

40b_003.jpg

40b_007.jpg

40b_011.jpg

Here one of my customs from TWP, the "Rocket Fish" which also has custom art from Serrano. The pictures do not do the art work justice, the gun has different shades of metalic silver that give it a 3D look.

40b_003.jpg

40b_007.jpg

40b_011.jpg

When you say custom, do you mean custom made to your specs?

I think the Ride is better than the Venture - faster, more maneuverable with almost as much flotation. The speed & flotation will be important behind a DD.

Not trying to highjack, but what is so different about a DD if you can add the weight to the back and front as required. Is the wake going to be that much different on a DD based on speed while surfing?

Two things with DD vs VD. DD engine is in the center of boat, so it is harder to list the boat to one side or the other to clean up the wake. Also, most DD have a lower freeboard, so it is limited on the weight it can handle without swamping. My Ride has pretty much the same hull SV23 as some of the older DD just the Wake version and again a higher freeboard.

40b_003.jpg

40b_007.jpg

40b_011.jpg

Darkside Ripper was a Bullet style, but my choice on nose and tail rocker,length and thickness. Also, the art design was my ideas and Serrano's talent. I went a half inch more than normal on both rockers to prevent pearling and to make it easier to ride revert. A little thicker for more bouyancy and to keep the board at 4'9", but also support a 220 lb. rider. I have some bigger guys in my crew.

40b_003.jpg

40b_007.jpg

40b_011.jpg

Darkside Ripper was a Bullet style, but my choice on nose and tail rocker,length and thickness. Also, the art design was my ideas and Serrano's talent. I went a half inch more than normal on both rockers to prevent pearling and to make it easier to ride revert. A little thicker for more bouyancy and to keep the board at 4'9", but also support a 220 lb. rider. I have some bigger guys in my crew.

Thanks, the information was helpful Thumbup.gif

Two things with DD vs VD. DD engine is in the center of boat, so it is harder to list the boat to one side or the other to clean up the wake. Also, most DD have a lower freeboard, so it is limited on the weight it can handle without swamping. My Ride has pretty much the same hull SV23 as some of the older DD just the Wake version and again a higher freeboard.

The only thing that I would add to that is that with a DD there is less available space to add weight in the right areas. The biggest thing though is that the engine in the back of a VD acts as a natural form of ballast, whereas in a DD the engine weight is better displaced throughout the hull. Think of the difference between a mid-engine car & either a front or rear engine car. A mid engine has a very neutral balance to it with very little weight bias to one end or the other, whereas cars with the engine at either end have more of a weight bias.