Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LCD won't turn on

As some of you know we are selling our baby (06 Vride) Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

I had someone over today for a test drive. We put it in the water and I couldn't get the engine to turn over. It would crank, but just didn't quite start. Also the LCD would not turn on.... however all other electrical seemed to work ok. (Interior lights, stereo, acc switches). When I turned the key back to the center it even did the little beep boo beep beep sound.

Any ideas on what could be the issue? Battery seems to be fully charged (i have a cheap little tester), but the battery is the original (3 yrs old), but not sure that is the issue. Had the boat in the water in early December with no problems. In fact never had any starting or LCD problems before.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks!

I think you have a dead battery.

This has happened several times with Dennis MC 197. Our crew of 3 rotates which boat I tow to the lake. For that reason I always pack my HEAVY DUTY twelve foot professional grade jumper cables.

Some of the causes are: MC has rocker switches that are dual position and not always clear whether they are on or off. We put the cover on his boat and put it in a storage shed not at his (golf course) home, so no opportunity to recheck the switches. The starter/solenoid may have a low current drain. Air conditioner fan left on. (I made the last one up)

Charge the battery and see if it is cured.

Coast guard lanyard! (the little red cord that your supposed to attach to your belt that nobody uses)

It cuts the ground to your fuel pump and gauges in case it is tripped (cord pulled or button not pressed in all the way). Those lanyards if left on the clip doesn't hold the button down all the way, remove the lanyard and give it a wiggle. Throw a penny in between if needed to help keep the button pushed down. Really common problem in that 05-06 era with those lanyards.

-Paul

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski
bigD is going to be spot on.

The dead LCD, along with the rest of gauges probably not starting up is the give away.

-Chris

Plus1.gif It happened to me once, but mine wouldn't turn over at all. Had limited amounts of power source !

Just got in the boat and checked the lanyard -- BigD was right. It wasn't fully pushed in. I just pressed on it with my finger and the LCD and gauges turned on. DOH!!!! Blowup.gif

Now, let me see if I can salvage the potential buyer...

I had trouble with mine one time.......this spring during dewinterizing and trailer brake job I plan to bypass that sucker! Whistling.gif

Edited by ruffdawg

Looks like the guy is coming back Monday for "Test Drive - Take #2" -- (Whew!) I've had a few others interested, so hopefully it moves quickly. Boat show is here in Austin this weekend, so people are starting to look....

Looks like the guy is coming back Monday for "Test Drive - Take #2" -- (Whew!) I've had a few others interested, so hopefully it moves quickly. Boat show is here in Austin this weekend, so people are starting to look....

Ive had problems with kill switches before too and it took some time to figure out thats what the problem was, so simple, so dont feel bad. Good luck on your sale, I know you hate to sell her. We are going to the Austin show saturday.

As some of you know we are selling our baby (06 Vride) Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

I had someone over today for a test drive. We put it in the water and I couldn't get the engine to turn over. It would crank, but just didn't quite start. Also the LCD would not turn on.... however all other electrical seemed to work ok. (Interior lights, stereo, acc switches). When I turned the key back to the center it even did the little beep boo beep beep sound.

Any ideas on what could be the issue? Battery seems to be fully charged (i have a cheap little tester), but the battery is the original (3 yrs old), but not sure that is the issue. Had the boat in the water in early December with no problems. In fact never had any starting or LCD problems before.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks!

I have a boat that started its 4th season this year. When I took it out of winterization, I charged the battery, but it would not crank the engine. In fact if I turned the volumn up on the CD, the sound would distort. A new battery corrected the problem I do not think the factory batteries are that good. This is the second factory battery to go bad. The first one went bad on the second season. When I would try and start the boat, the battery cable would start to get hot and smoke. The dealer said it was an internal short in the battery and replaced it under the warranty.So your problem might simply be a bad battery? It's worth investigating.