Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Question

mcbean7

Hi All,

I have been looking at the Wakesetter VLX. I notice some come with a single axle trailer and some come with a dual axle trailer. What is better and why?

Thanks in advance.

If you are planing on doing regaler trailering I would go with a tandem axel. They pull much nicer and with good brakes can be a very big plus.

If your like me I pull to the launch and put my boat on a lift trailer goes back to the garage well no big need for tandem axel.

If money is not an issue I think a tandem axel helps resale.

It is easer to move a single axel around in a garage or drive by hand.

A single axel with disc brakes works very well.

A single axel will be felt much more in the tow vehicle.

dual axel can be a big help if you lose a tire. May get you to the next town or service point.

With a single axel you may need to drop the trailer and go for parts to get back on the road.

If you trailer much I would Carry a spair no mater single or dual axel.

Dual axel is a much more comfortable trailer to pull. It has no more braking unless you order brakes on both axels.

( MHO ) Dontknow.gif:)Dontknow.gif:)

If you are planing on doing regaler trailering I would go with a tandem axel. They pull much nicer and with good brakes can be a very big plus.

If your like me I pull to the launch and put my boat on a lift trailer goes back to the garage well no big need for tandem axel.

dual axel can be a big help if you lose a tire. May get you to the next town or service point.

With a single axel you may need to drop the trailer and go for parts to get back on the road.

Dual axel is a much more comfortable trailer to pull. It has no more braking unless you order brakes on both axels.

Thank you Sixball. Your input was very helpful.

Thank you Sixball. Your input was very helpful.

Yeah, I don't think there is much more to add :)

Oh by the way, I don't think resale value is any big $$$$$$$$ it's more that many byers want tandem axel trailers. It may move the boat faster if you ever sold it on your own.

The whole trailer thing really depends on what part of the country you are in.

I've pulled VLX's on single axle trailers for many miles without any problems.

-Chris

Oh by the way, I don't think resale value is any big $$$$$$$$ it's more that many byers want tandem axel trailers. It may move the boat faster if you ever sold it on your own.

May not not be a huge difference in price, but could make or break the sale. Out west you'll stuggle to ever, expect much older boats, find a single axel trailer not many would even look at it I bet.

The whole trailer thing really depends on what part of the country you are in.

I've pulled VLX's on single axle trailers for many miles without any problems.

-Chris

Yep out west I bet we typically travel further, therefore a tandem is very desirable. On occasion a few members not only blew a tire on the trailer but went through their spare as well.

I've got 4-wheel disc brakes what a huge improvement on stopping.

Plus hey it's all about the bling bling on the road......lol

• 2 weeks later...

I like my tandem for the above reasons. Having brakes on two axles will probably make my rig stop shorter with the boat than without! :-) Total overkill for my 20 footer but adds peace of mind.

However, I would trade for a single axle any day for one reason - manuvering the boat around the driveway/garage/lake lot area. You cannot hand-pivot a tandem trailer. The sound the tires make when I am using the truck to pivot the rig makes me cringe - I am waiting for a tire to be ripped from the rim! :-)

Oh, and it will be cheaper to buy two tires vs four when you need to replace them!

-- Mike

Malibudude's right about out here. You'd really, really struggle to sell a VLX on a single, almost regardless of price. Our distance to travel is just too far & most people want the double for that reassurance.

I would also really question whether or not a single axle trailer would meet the requirements of some states to hold a VLX. The '05-'08 VLX claims a dry weight from Malibu of 3600 lbs, but when we weighed ours, moderately loaded on the trailer it came in at almost 6000 lbs. Some of that is obviously the trailer, but some is the gear, fluids, & everything else that is part of the boat (remember, the dry weight doesn't include things like the tower). So I would think that you'd have to take a hard look at that & factor it in with everything else.