Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cancun

Brett Melberg

Can't give you any input on either, but if I was going to Cancun I wouldn't be worried about skiing. I would try to spend most of my time site seeing, but that's just me :)

I've heard/read good things about Waterski Cancun being an enjoyable time, but no first hand experience with either. Haven't heard anything about the other one.

Can't give you any input on either, but if I was going to Cancun I wouldn't be worried about skiing. I would try to spend most of my time site seeing, but that's just me :)

Plus1.gif ... you can waterski here.. why travel to ski? Dontknow.gif

Unless, your going on vacation with tons of time to kill and money to burn :)

Unless, your going on vacation with tons of time to kill and money to burn :)

Eeeeeven then, I could think of 100 things I could do there that I can't do at home.. #1 being sitting on the Can-coooon beach chillin & relaxin. Water skiing isn't like golf or snow skiing, where it is cool to explore the different terrain or layouts.. Water skiing is best with the gear your comfortable with, your best skiin' peeps, and butter glass conditions. You can't get that on vacation

Of course, here I am riding on this guys 2nd post, just wasn't sure why someone would ski in Cancun.

As you were -

Whats the best place to ski in Cancun? Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone have any luck with http://waterskicancun.com/ or

http://www.cancunlagunaski.com/ ? Thanks

Scott Smith runs Waterski Cancun, he is an ex Clubmed GO. I am not sure what he has for boats today, before the last hurricane he had a Supra Launch direct drive with a wakeboard tower and an early 90's mastercraft outboard. I heard he lost the mastercraft in the hurricane but may have bought the old Moomba from Clubmed as his new ski boat? I have spent some time out on the water with Scott, it is always a great time. I have always skied behind his Mastercraft. For wakeboarding he fills a couple big jugs of water (40 gallons?) which does a decent job producing a wake. He has two slalom courses, one runs north-south, the other runs east-west. Depending on the direction of the wind he will choose one or the other.

Not sure if the other operation uses the same courses (poaches off the courses installed by Scott). Looks like they have a nicer boat but no telling what kind of rides you will get?

Q. Why ski in Cancun?

A. Because it probably the best place in the world to ski.

Combine the flat water of the delta on a winter weekday with warm carribean turquoise waters and great weater and you have Cancun. Oh yeah, the mangroves on the shoreline breakdown the waves so there is no backwash either.

If you stay at ClubMed you can ski for free, but the rides are short and the lines can be long. Last visit a few years ago they had a special early morning slalom expert session open to anybody that could complete the slalom course at 30+ mph. That week it there were only 3 others in addition to me so we took two sets each through the slalom course before they opened for general business.

If you go to Waterski Cancun, take Scott a large handle of Jagermeister and tell him Mike Jolley says hi.

Mikeski

Whats the best place to ski in Cancun? Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone have any luck with http://waterskicancun.com/ or

http://www.cancunlagunaski.com/ ? Thanks

Scott Smith runs Waterski Cancun, he is an ex Clubmed GO. I am not sure what he has for boats today, before the last hurricane he had a Supra Launch direct drive with a wakeboard tower and an early 90's mastercraft outboard. I heard he lost the mastercraft in the hurricane but may have bought the old Moomba from Clubmed as his new ski boat? I have spent some time out on the water with Scott, it is always a great time. I have always skied behind his Mastercraft. For wakeboarding he fills a couple big jugs of water (40 gallons?) which does a decent job producing a wake. He has two slalom courses, one runs north-south, the other runs east-west. Depending on the direction of the wind he will choose one or the other.

Not sure if the other operation uses the same courses (poaches off the courses installed by Scott). Looks like they have a nicer boat but no telling what kind of rides you will get?

Q. Why ski in Cancun?

A. Because it probably the best place in the world to ski.

Combine the flat water of the delta on a winter weekday with warm carribean turquoise waters and great weater and you have Cancun. Oh yeah, the mangroves on the shoreline breakdown the waves so there is no backwash either.

If you stay at ClubMed you can ski for free, but the rides are short and the lines can be long. Last visit a few years ago they had a special early morning slalom expert session open to anybody that could complete the slalom course at 30+ mph. That week it there were only 3 others in addition to me so we took two sets each through the slalom course before they opened for general business.

If you go to Waterski Cancun, take Scott a large handle of Jagermeister and tell him Mike Jolley says hi.

Mikeski

Another new member, Welcome :)

I live in Minnesota and our lakes are covered with ice. I haven't skied since October and won't be able to until May. I didn't think the prices seemed too out of line. I'm sure I will still have plenty of time to sight-see.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Edited by Brett Melberg

Share about your trip when you get back. We'll be going to Cancun for the first time in the fall, so am interested to hear others' experiences. Right now our plans are to read some books in the sun and visit some of the ruins.

I skied with Scott a couple of years ago and was impressed with his coaching. Ruthie does his bookings - 800 897 1517 or 757 434 0937. [email protected]

And why not ski while you are down there? Mama sleeps in - you get in a couple of sets - do the sightseeing or beach thing - ski again late in the day. Club in the evening - life is good.

I skied with Scott a couple of years ago and was impressed with his coaching. Ruthie does his bookings - 800 897 1517 or 757 434 0937. [email protected]

And why not ski while you are down there? Mama sleeps in - you get in a couple of sets - do the sightseeing or beach thing - ski again late in the day. Club in the evening - life is good.

Now that's the life!! Biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Why ski while you are in Cancun? I would think that those on this site understand that for some of us waterskiing is a passion/obsession and we ski whenever we can. Years ago when my wife and I went on our honeymoon she chose the Cancun ClubMed (for me) because of their waterskiing.

If I may digress (slight hijack) when we got to the ClubMed I asked the boat driver to take me barefooting. He told me "no, its too rough." Well, it was actually pretty calm I just don't think he wanted to deal with the hassle or liability. Finally, I convinced them to take me barefooting and it all worked out pretty well. I actually ended up teaching the driver how to backwards barefoot and he was very greatful.

Anyway, have fun wherever you go.

I was in Playa del Carmen for Christmas in 2008. I decided to take my trick ski with me. Glad that I did. I Actually ended up skiing on Christmas morning for about an hour. The equipment that Scott has is fine. I've skied behind better and certainly behind worse. He is a very good driver and interesting to talk with. The course and conditions were fine, though obviously I did not use the course! IMHO there is only so much beach and lounging that can be done. It's nice to break up the routine a bit and get a little skiing in. Even better if you get it in early in the day and then the rest of the day is yours. Scott's place is not one that I would typically spend an entire day there getting 4 sets in. Not because of any reason other than there are many other things that I want to do when I am in that part of the world.

Go skiing there, I think you will be glad that you did.