Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Laws Requiring a Functioning Transom Plug

DIE2SURF

Is there a law that specifically requires a boat to have a removable/functioning transom drain/plug? (Perhaps zebra/quaga muscle inspection or other)

I was planning on doing some modifications to the 'bu which would render the rear drain plug unusable/stationary (since I never have a need to open it anyway). I just use the bottom hull plug for draining purposes.

It would be a good idea to know before I proceed with my project.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by gjsmith73
MalibuNation
Is there a law that specifically requires a boat to have a removable/functioning transom drain/plug? (Perhaps zebra/quaga muscle inspection or other)

I was planning on doing some modifications to the 'bu which would render the rear drain plug unusable/stationary (since I never have a need to open it anyway). I just use the bottom hull plug for draining purposes.

It would be a good idea to know before I proceed with my project.

Thanks for any feedback.

I haven't heard of one in Michigan ... I did follow the discussion awhile in CA where they are doing inspections though. Jim

They will not let you through the bug station on 80 without removing that back plug. They don't care that it takes a wrench and they don't care that by the time they got me a wrench traffic was backed up for miles. I would leave it in.

They will not let you through the bug station on 80 without removing that back plug. They don't care that it takes a wrench and they don't care that by the time they got me a wrench traffic was backed up for miles. I would leave it in.

ya, very true. Though, with my modification, it would be impossibly to remove it, much less even know that there was ever a drainplug there.

Hmmm...tough call. I never tow the boat up 80E to Tahoe (or other), but I do go to Shasta a few time a year. I'd probably get hosed there in Cottonwood truckstop. Ranting.gif

I wonder if they would accept looking at the bottom of the boat where the exhaust pipes are (under the lift-up flooring right behind the DD motrbox)?? Probably not. ggrrrrr...

Any lake that will be doing mussel inspections will require you to remove plugs, (the rear plug is most common since every boat has one) to prove your bilge is dry. Its your call....

ya, very true. Though, with my modification, it would be impossibly to remove it, much less even know that there was ever a drainplug there.

Hmmm...tough call. I never tow the boat up 80E to Tahoe (or other), but I do go to Shasta a few time a year. I'd probably get hosed there in Cottonwood truckstop. Ranting.gif

I wonder if they would accept looking at the bottom of the boat where the exhaust pipes are (under the lift-up flooring right behind the DD motrbox)?? Probably not. ggrrrrr...

Could I ask what modification your talking about?

I'm an idiot; I should have mentioned it. I'm just installing an underwater LED by threading it into the transom drainplug hole. That way I don't have to deal with drilling more holes and shooting screws into the transom. Here's the one I picked up. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $125 and can put everything back to normal.

http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-90/...sh--Boat/Detail

YOULL BE SAFE COMING TO SHASTA. PRETTY LENIANT UP HERE

Jim,

Unless all three of those mounting holes on the chrome ring line up with the three screw holes for around the drain plug, it looks like you'd need to drill holes for that anyways. I'd get two of those and mount one by each swim step bracket, tuck them up in the corners so you can't even see them. Go ahead and drill a couple of small holes, it's no big deal, there's lots of holes already in your boat if you think about it.

I'm an idiot; I should have mentioned it. I'm just installing an underwater LED by threading it into the transom drainplug hole. That way I don't have to deal with drilling more holes and shooting screws into the transom. Here's the one I picked up. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $125 and can put everything back to normal.

http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-90/...sh--Boat/Detail

If it was me, I would reconsider that mod. Just my opinion :)