Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PerfectPass Gauge Location Question

ed obermeier

Got another upgrade question. I'm getting ready to order a StarGazer setup for my '05 RLXI (sorry GT, this one I AM doing). My understanding is that with PP in a Malibu one of the dash gauges will have the PP display built into it, and the entire display has to be replaced when adding the system to a non-equipped boat. Sound right?

So I have to buy a new gauge that contains the PP display. My question is which gauge holds the PP display and is that something I have to get from Malibu directly (so it will match), or is that something PP will have, and will be able to provide to me? If so will it match the other Malibu gauges or will it stick out like a sore thumb? I figured someone here has been through it and would know. All info much appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

I never liked looking a digital tach and the PP display looked out of sync with the other gauges, so I mounted a Judges display down by the cup holders. With StarGazer you don't need to access and set all those option like you did with the old systems, just set the speed and go. I had it mount there all last year and it worked out great. Mounted the GPS antenna in front of the windshield and ran the wire through the vent.

Edited by onamission
Most people put it in place of their tach. Here's what mine looks like...

post-197-1231293134_thumb.jpg

Mike

I like that Mike. Move the speedo to the center, put the PP gauge on the right hand side. I like onamission's setup with the judges display too, an idea I hadn't thought of.

Zad, thank you for the photo. Guess if I'd had my head out I'd have thought to go to PP's website myself...

Ed

I put my GPS antenna behind the gauge cluster which is under the dashpad -- it will see up thru it and is completely hidden and not in the way.

Yeah, I didnt think it would work either, but it does.

I ran my Sirius antenna out from the front cupholder, SG would be the exact same

P1010001.jpg

Gauge on the right works best for me, like mlange's pic.

Edited by edwin

I know I have the newer dash with the 07 lxi, but while chatting with Dennis K at Malibu he said that they are installing the gps receiver puck under the dash behind the guages so it's not out in the open and is a cleaner install. I had to remove my guage cluster with 2 torx screws then under the nice looking dash there is fiberglass with several places to stick the puck, the put the guages back on, and you can't see the puck and it's protected from the weather and the reception is good and it works great. One of the reasons I didn't want to have it coming out of the drinkholder in the bow, is I have a 3 & 1 year old girls that like to play up front while we're lounging at our favourite party cove and I know they would play with it and I really didn't want to cut the nice dash either. I'm getting near perfect 3 ball and end times with a variety of skiers in our club from 15 off 32mph to 38 off in choppy water. I didn't get mine until late into the season and the Perfect Pass guys told me that it was the first ship of the latest version that was supposed to improve the short setup and corners etc...neither really applies to me but it's always nice to get the latest version. (near the end of Aug. 2008) I would be interested what versions they have come up with since as I hear they really are working on a ZO type pull as an option.

I recently bought a PP display that I am not going to use. Let me know if you are interested, and I will dig it out of the garage and snap some photos. I don't even remember what it looks like. I decided to stick with my old one line, analog tach display.

I recently bought a PP display that I am not going to use. Let me know if you are interested, and I will dig it out of the garage and snap some photos. I don't even remember what it looks like. I decided to stick with my old one line, analog tach display.

This is the one pictured above, black face with the Malibu logo? If so ping me with a price, I'd be interested.

I kept the SG master module, antenna, and standard size multi line display from my previous boat so I just need pieces and parts, not an entire system. Only had it in my boat about 3 months before putting the boat away for winter (and then selling it). If you had any interest in the display I have (white face, newer style multi line display, has the PerfectPass logo on it) we could work that into a deal somehow. If anyone is interested it's for sale, I have no use for it and it's practically new.

FWIW I've always done my PP business through Skier to Skier (great to deal with, knowledgible, highly recommended!). I told them what I was wanting to do, they gave me a parts needed list and pricing so I've got all of that covered (I think). They told me that the newest software version, out sometime in the real near future, will have the ZO emulation settings, you won't need to disengage during turn arounds, and they're going to start selling a cable you can hook up to the master module to do software upgrades yourself without having to send the module in to be reflashed. I assume you would pay PP online for the upgrade, download to your computer, then load to your master module.

Let me know about your display please.

Ed

Too many more questions and GT will end up a withering hulk in the corner somewhere! FYI, being info anal, I actually made a dash panel for my boat so I could keep two speedo's on each side of the centrally located tach and install the gauge module on the rhs (easy button push access) basically across from the 4-1 systems gauge. It is the older style gauge setup but it turned out great.

Ed

Did you keep your old perfect pass module or did you leave it on the Supra when you sold it? If you do let me know, I would be interested in it. If you remember I got the older PP module without the paddle wheel but now have decided to go ahead and upgrade to the paddle wheel. If anyone else has the 6.5 module they are looking to get rid of let me know. Also Teammalibu on the water ski forum (I think on here as well) got me a great deal on my parts last year.

Thanks

Steve

This is the one pictured above, black face with the Malibu logo? If so ping me with a price, I'd be interested.

I kept the SG master module, antenna, and standard size multi line display from my previous boat so I just need pieces and parts, not an entire system. Only had it in my boat about 3 months before putting the boat away for winter (and then selling it). If you had any interest in the display I have (white face, newer style multi line display, has the PerfectPass logo on it) we could work that into a deal somehow. If anyone is interested it's for sale, I have no use for it and it's practically new.

FWIW I've always done my PP business through Skier to Skier (great to deal with, knowledgible, highly recommended!). I told them what I was wanting to do, they gave me a parts needed list and pricing so I've got all of that covered (I think). They told me that the newest software version, out sometime in the real near future, will have the ZO emulation settings, you won't need to disengage during turn arounds, and they're going to start selling a cable you can hook up to the master module to do software upgrades yourself without having to send the module in to be reflashed. I assume you would pay PP online for the upgrade, download to your computer, then load to your master module.

Let me know about your display please.

Ed

Ed

Did you keep your old perfect pass module or did you leave it on the Supra when you sold it? If you do let me know, I would be interested in it. If you remember I got the older PP module without the paddle wheel but now have decided to go ahead and upgrade to the paddle wheel. If anyone else has the 6.5 module they are looking to get rid of let me know. Also Teammalibu on the water ski forum (I think on here as well) got me a great deal on my parts last year.

Thanks

Steve

I put the old PP module and single line gauge back in the Supra for the new owner Steve, kept the SG module and multiline gauge which I'll put in the RLXI. However I do have a 6.5n chip I've never used and the white face multiline gauge (which probably won't fit your gauge cluster, too small?). If any of that works for you we'll talk. If you have the module all you should really need is the newer version chip unless your module has other issues.

Ed

Ed

Thanks

Steve

I put the old PP module and single line gauge back in the Supra for the new owner Steve, kept the SG module and multiline gauge which I'll put in the RLXI. However I do have a 6.5n chip I've never used and the white face multiline gauge (which probably won't fit your gauge cluster, too small?). If any of that works for you we'll talk. If you have the module all you should really need is the newer version chip unless your module has other issues.

Ed

Steve's module is probably like mine. I upgraded from PP cruise to PP Plus. That module has all the pinouts except the input for a Paddlewheel. So i have a digital pro system except I only have RPM control (I actually purchased a new chip and Paddlewheel before realizing I needed the module too. My paddlewheel has been sitting on the shelf for 2 or 3 years, waiting for me to break out the wallet to buy a new module).

Ed

Thanks

Steve

Ed

Steve's module is probably like mine. I upgraded from PP cruise to PP Plus. That module has all the pinouts except the input for a Paddlewheel. So i have a digital pro system except I only have RPM control (I actually purchased a new chip and Paddlewheel before realizing I needed the module too. My paddlewheel has been sitting on the shelf for 2 or 3 years, waiting for me to break out the wallet to buy a new module).

Got it. I didn't think about the other versions being set up differently from PP Pro.

There should be Pro modules available out there with more folks upgrading to SG. I've seen several this past season going for $125 - 150.

Ed

I've got PP digital Pro xy6.4 chip but the module has pitot tube pickups instead of the paddle wheel connection. I've thought about hooking them up but didn't think that would be much better than just a normal speedo. I'm betting just like last spring there will be some modules on the market. I don't think the 6.5 chip would probably help me much??

Steve

Ed

Thanks

Steve

Ed

Got it. I didn't think about the other versions being set up differently from PP Pro.

There should be Pro modules available out there with more folks upgrading to SG. I've seen several this past season going for $125 - 150.

Ed

I've got PP digital Pro xy6.4 chip but the module has pitot tube pickups instead of the paddle wheel connection. I've thought about hooking them up but didn't think that would be much better than just a normal speedo. I'm betting just like last spring there will be some modules on the market. I don't think the 6.5 chip would probably help me much??

Steve

Naw, I don't think so. To my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) for slalom mode the only difference is that with 6.5n you could assign names to a preset for each skier with the skier weight, speed etc already programmed in. Just call up their name, set the crew weight, and rock and roll. Really don't know anyone who ever used that feature much. Otherwise there was no difference. You may have even had to have the multi line display to use 6.5n, hell I don't know. Yeah, it woudn't be of any additional benefirt to you.

Ed

You may have even had to have the multi line display to use 6.5n, hell I don't know. Yeah, it woudn't be of any additional benefirt to you.

Ed

Multi-line display is needed for 6.5ng with the g designating graphic display I believe. Single line can still run 6.5n

You may have even had to have the multi line display to use 6.5n, hell I don't know. Yeah, it woudn't be of any additional benefirt to you.

Ed

Multi-line display is needed for 6.5ng with the g designating graphic display I believe. Single line can still run 6.5n

Correct. Both 6.5ng and SG require the larger display. 6.5n was single line only.