Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter Trouble

Does anyone out there have any info on changing a starter on a 1990 Euro F3. Already checked battery etc. Its the original starter onthe boat. It just clicks when i turn the key with a full charged batt. I could not see the mounting bolts at first glance. any experience with this year boat out there?

That one could be bottom mount bolts, so check underneath the starter near the flywheel housing or the aluminum housing block on the starter. I would also verify all grounds and connections before you change starters. In addition, when you get the old one off, you can check it using a set of jumper cables and a good battery to see if it works okay. Make sure you hold on tight or have starter in a vise when you do that. My experience is that starter issues tend to be the battery of connections, although a starter from 1990 has had a pretty useful life.

I haven't experienced any trouble with mine.

Did you check for a relay?

I can actually hear the relay clicking but the starter does not turn at all.

That one could be bottom mount bolts, so check underneath the starter near the flywheel housing or the aluminum housing block on the starter. I would also verify all grounds and connections before you change starters. In addition, when you get the old one off, you can check it using a set of jumper cables and a good battery to see if it works okay. Make sure you hold on tight or have starter in a vise when you do that. My experience is that starter issues tend to be the battery of connections, although a starter from 1990 has had a pretty useful life.

I think that you are correct in the bolts being vertical (the replacements Ive viewed on line look that way). How much room do you think is down there?

I agree the bolts I believe are the grounds. Try pulling one out and see if there is any corrosion or dirt. If so or just clean it up and you should get a good ground when reinstalled. I would do all the bolts but if one shows an improvement you have your ansure.

Plus1.gif make sure all your cables are tight and secure before pulling anything off, try staring it with the battery charger on. You may have a weak battery even though you charged it up!

Had a similar problem with my 02 lsv 23. It was actually the ignition switch and not the starter. I was all set to change the starter and the guy at the parts place suggested trying a new switch. He must have seen this before because when I told him the symptoms he quickly "diagnosed" correctly. Just an idea that might save you a couple hundred bucks and aonly takes 10 minutes.