Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

metcraft bimini extension

Malibusteve

I have the Illusion x and use the metcraft bmini evertime I boat. B/c of my small kids and fair complexion, I like max sun protection. Metcraft has a pic on their website of the extension, but it isn't very good. Does anyone use this? Likes, dislikes? Any photos (especially from underneath)? Does it make putting up or taking down the bimini any harder or more time consuming? Any ideas on cost?

Malibusteve,

I was in the same boat as you; two young kids and a wife that is adamant that they get zero sun exposure. So I ordered the bimini extension when we got our boat. I must say it is a total PITA Mad.gif It only provides about an extra 16-18" of cover and it involves completely changing the back support bar on the current bimini. It took a buddy and me about 30 minutes to install and we are both fairly mechanical Ranting.gif The worst part is the support bar must be removed every time and you cannot stow it on the tower with the extension bar in place. If you would like more details feel free to pm me. If you get different advice and decide you need one I will sell you mine cheap because I will never use it again. I hope this helps.

Chappy

I agree with the 2nd post. It's good for extra shade, but it has to be left up or all the way off. There is no way to stow it on the tower. I kept it in place the 1st summer, but this last summer I kept the extension in the garage. I keep it handy though for the times when I know we'll have a full boat for more than a day at a time like if we're camping with friends or spending a week on a lake somewhere.

Malibusteve,

I was in the same boat as you; two young kids and a wife that is adamant that they get zero sun exposure. So I ordered the bimini extension when we got our boat. I must say it is a total PITA Mad.gif It only provides about an extra 16-18" of cover and it involves completely changing the back support bar on the current bimini. It took a buddy and me about 30 minutes to install and we are both fairly mechanical Ranting.gif The worst part is the support bar must be removed every time and you cannot stow it on the tower with the extension bar in place. If you would like more details feel free to pm me. If you get different advice and decide you need one I will sell you mine cheap because I will never use it again. I hope this helps.

Chappy

I was looking at that top for my vRide. I too wanted the extension. I noticed on their site that it says it "folds into storage without having to remove the extension." So you guys are saying that is not the case? Do you think they have changed its design?

Is this the main choice for the illusion tower or are there other options.

Just trying to figure out what to get since we also try to keep the kiddos covered...

We got the extension with our V-ride and never did figure out how to fold and store it on the tower. It did add a little extra protection, but after the first season I took it off and put it in the garage. As a matter of fact, we got a Response in '07 and the extension is still sitting in the garage..... If you need a red one, and want it cheap, contact me and maybe I can free up some storage space in my garage..

Malibusteve,

Chappy

I was looking at that top for my vRide. I too wanted the extension. I noticed on their site that it says it "folds into storage without having to remove the extension." So you guys are saying that is not the case? Do you think they have changed its design?

Just trying to figure out what to get since we also try to keep the kiddos covered...

I have the same extension as well. It does fold into storage...that is it folds up and fits in the zipper bag that the original bimini fits into. But due to the extended length of the new rear bow, it will not store on the tower. We remove the bimini from the tower, fold it into the bag, zip it up and lay it on the floor of the boat. It takes a bit longer than the standard top, but the extra shade is great on 100+ degree days. I would worry about the extended length on a VTX or VLX, I think people would hit their heads on it when getting into the boat.

Malibusteve,

Chappy

I have the same extension as well. It does fold into storage...that is it folds up and fits in the zipper bag that the original bimini fits into. But due to the extended length of the new rear bow, it will not store on the tower. We remove the bimini from the tower, fold it into the bag, zip it up and lay it on the floor of the boat. It takes a bit longer than the standard top, but the extra shade is great on 100+ degree days. I would worry about the extended length on a VTX or VLX, I think people would hit their heads on it when getting into the boat.

How do you think the one with extension will do on my 08 vRide? Is the shade worth the extra dough and trouble?

Malibusteve,

Chappy

How do you think the one with extension will do on my 08 vRide? Is the shade worth the extra dough and trouble?

The V-ride is the same as the VLX in terms of length....picture your bimini extending about 18" further back, step from the swim platform, over the engine compartment and into the boat and see how close your head will come to the back of the bimini. My guess is you will hit your head constantly.

I do not have any pics since I only used the extension once and I didn't take any pics of the boat. I did notice Molarbu, the 3rd post on this link, has a good top view pic of the bimini with the extension in his gallery under his profile.

They may have changed the design but I purchased mine less than a year ago so I doubt it. Unless there is something I am missing; I am not sure why they say it can fold onto the tower. The standard bimini folds nicely onto the tower but the with the longer rear support bar for the extension when you fold it back onto the tower it will over shoot the tower by at least 8-10".

I have heard good things about http://www.towerbiminis.com/; although I have not seen or used there biminis before. I would look there before I buy another Metcraft bimini.

Mine is black if any one still wants it after I have pretty well bashed it Whistling.gif

Malibusteve,

Chappy

PS- If you put it up and leave it up it does provide some extra shade. So those of you that store your boat on the water and leave your bimini up might like it. If you trailer your boat it is cumbersome to take up and down.

Anyone know if a Tower Bimini's (I think that's teh company) bimini's are any larger? My bimini is so small that it's useless. I have used it once (in the rain) and the water comes off the leading edge of the bimini right down on the dash/gauges. I really need to find a better solution.

tower biminis make two sizes the problem with having the bimini extended is someone coming of the deck in the boat always grabs it and they will bend. on the vtx and vlx

Edited by CRASH

MalibuSteve,

I also did not like the stock bimini so I searched around and found a great bimini cover and bought all Stainless steel hardware like the factory bimini only larger.

I am selling my slightly used Illusion X - Xlarge Bimini (Black) for sale that I can nolonger use. I had it for 2 months and I traded my malibu boat for a new one with an illusion XS tower.

The bimini came from Tower bimini and is all Stainless Steel hardware and tubes just like the factory bimini but 1 piece and much larger than the stock bimini with an extension and is no hassel to fold up.

Comes with a boot and storage straps and all the quick mounts for your tower to mount it like the factory one.

Here is the link for my add and pictures and the add #.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=17346&st=0

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Dave DeLuca

603-498-9855

[email protected]

We have this large bimini ( Tower Biminis ) on our vlx and love it! Yes you do run it to it when you step off the sundeck, but it is a nice hand hold for kids getting in and out. It is very sturdy, but I wouldn't hang on it. Bit of a nuisance to store but worth the extra shade IMHO.

Dave

I have the extension on my '07 23 LSV; wife loves the extra shade.

I bought mine around Sept. 08. Maybe they changed; but mine does store into the bimini boot AND it folds upto the tower as the stock bimini did. There are telescoping arms for the extension that need to be lowered so the rear bar won't extend past the tower. It is sorta a pain to get the legs to lower with the angles; but we trailer so we need to. It ends up sitting a little further infront of the Illusion tower when stored, but it does all work.

It's 20 degrees outside so the boat is in storage and I can't take pics for you. It was definetly pricey, but worth it for me. I'm not saying the other post are wrong; but wanted to clarify that the one I have does do what the website says; stores in boot and folds into tower. We don't hit our heads on it; but again we have the 23'.

• 4 weeks later...

A number of people have mentioned that the extended Metcraft won't fold into the boot while on the tower. Does anyone know if the extended TowerBimini will?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 months later...

I bought mine around Sept. 08. Maybe they changed; but mine does store into the bimini boot AND it folds upto the tower as the stock bimini did. There are telescoping arms for the extension that need to be lowered so the rear bar won't extend past the tower. It is sorta a pain to get the legs to lower with the angles; but we trailer so we need to. It ends up sitting a little further infront of the Illusion tower when stored, but it does all work.

It's 20 degrees outside so the boat is in storage and I can't take pics for you. It was definetly pricey, but worth it for me. I'm not saying the other post are wrong; but wanted to clarify that the one I have does do what the website says; stores in boot and folds into tower. We don't hit our heads on it; but again we have the 23'.

Can you take a pic of your bimini with extension and then folded and stored on tower?

Would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic with the extension pulled out as though I'm putting it up. Note the "pop pin" that sets it to the correct length.

post-7181-1244133900_thumb.jpg

Ready for the road (once the straps are clipped). Thumbup.gif

Hope this helps everyone!!!

post-7181-1244134148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colorado Boat'n

I have owned my extended bimini for two years and it wasn't until a friend and I started to look at it closely a week or two ago that I found out the arms do slide in and the bimini will still store against the tower. You have to work at it a bit, but it works.

Sorry- I know this has been a long time coming. Pics also in my Albums.

I also noticed in your pics that you let the small arm hang loose. It looked to me like it would bang around on the tower and the upper arm laid on the tower. Mine came with two sleeves that velcro around both arms to hold them together and protect the tower...or at least that is what I use them for.

I also noticed in your pics that you let the small arm hang loose. It looked to me like it would bang around on the tower and the upper arm laid on the tower. Mine came with two sleeves that velcro around both arms to hold them together and protect the tower...or at least that is what I use them for.

Mine too. I just took the sleeve off for the pic. You can see the sleeve hold the lose arm in the "ready for the road" pic.

Edited by Colorado Boat'n

Mine too. I just took the sleeve off for the pic. You can see the sleeve hold the lose arm in the "ready for the road" pic.

Ah yes....you added that picture while I was typing my response.....looks just like my setup!