Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for some tower advice

martinarcher

I'm wanting to put a tower on my 88' Skier this spring when it comes out of storage. I know most of the crew have the newer boats and run the Illusion tower, but I am looking for aftermarket tower recommendations for my older 88' Skier. I've checked out Titan Towers and the Monster Towers and think both look pretty good. Just wanted to hear everyone's $0.02 on what might make a good tower for my boat. I plan on having the boat for a long time so I want to do it right. I don't want any squeaking, rattling or movement from the tower that goes on my boat! Thumbup.gif

Thanks in advance.

I had a Titan I on my old boat for 8 yrs, that NEVER moved or rattled. They use a true Heim joint whereas I'm not sure Monster's are quite as stiff. I would recommend thinking the fiberglass area for the footing before you put the backing plates on.

I had a Titan I on my old boat for 8 yrs, that NEVER moved or rattled. They use a true Heim joint whereas I'm not sure Monster's are quite as stiff. I would recommend thinking the fiberglass area for the footing before you put the backing plates on.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on fiberglassing some 1/4" marine ply under the gunnel's where the backing plates were going to end up. I don't think it would be a good idea to just mount them on the stock fiberglass since it wasn't intended for it.

IMO....it's important to go with a tower that utilizes heim joints. Towers that don't have more of a tendency to cause gel cracking because there isn't anything that will disperse the energy from the tower. Heim joints in general are very good at doing that.

Titan:

2.25" stainless steel tubing

Use of heim joints at mounting feet

Custom made for your boat

Monster

2.5" aluminum tubing

Universal fit

In addition, Titan makes a few different "low profile" towers that IMO would be a better option for your boat. A standard tower will look a bit tall, but the low profile version would probably be more in proportion with the size of your Skier.

One more option: Samson

Excellent products as well as customer service.

IMO....it's important to go with a tower that utilizes heim joints. Towers that don't have more of a tendency to cause gel cracking because there isn't anything that will disperse the energy from the tower. Heim joints in general are very good at doing that.

Titan:

2.25" stainless steel tubing

Custom made for your boat

Monster

2.5" aluminum tubing

Universal fit

In addition, Titan makes a few different "low profile" towers that IMO would be a better option for your boat. A standard tower will look a bit tall, but the low profile version would probably be more in proportion with the size of your Skier.

One more option: Samson

Excellent products as well as customer service.

Agreed - I will certainly go with a heim joint system.

I fly giant RC airplanes and we use them on all our control linkage and they are great for anyplace you want to swivel (folding tower), but want no play in the joint or transfer of stress to the mounting surface which on the planes is usually a wooden surface. Like you said, on the boat I don't want the stress of the rider transferred to my gel coat -> causing cracking. Cry.gif

The titan towers caught my eye because I like the idea of a stainless tower way better than aluminum. Stainless is way stronger and resistant to cracking than aluminum.

Which Titan towers were you talking about that are "low profile"? I like the idea of a tower sized a little better for my boat. I do think a crazy high tower would look a little goofy on my boat. Thanks!

A Titan I or II will be way sturdier than a Monster or Illusion. You can position the rear legs back a bit further to make it a bit shorter if needed. And the fact that it doesn't have a bunch of joints in it to make it a universal fit..... makes it way stronger.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/970318161.html

Here`s a pretty good deal on a tower.

Thanks for the link!

That is a Big Air H2O tower mounted backwards. Dontknow.gif I called the guy and he said it is wired for speakers, but where the tubing joints come together the wire pokes outside the tubing and then goes back in - I don't want that. He also said that he tossed the pins and used bolts to mount it to the bases and it still rattles around a bit. I want a solid tower that won't move at all, but can still be folded down to get the boat in the garage. Craigslist is a good call - time to start searching.....

Thanks for the link!

That is a Big Air H2O tower mounted backwards. Dontknow.gif I called the guy and he said it is wired for speakers, but where the tubing joints come together the wire pokes outside the tubing and then goes back in - I don't want that. He also said that he tossed the pins and used bolts to mount it to the bases and it still rattles around a bit. I want a solid tower that won't move at all, but can still be folded down to get the boat in the garage. Craigslist is a good call - time to start searching.....

You could re- wire the tower and order the pins. Not sure if it would still have the movment?

After owning 3 different towers of my own, and being involved in the installation on at least 4 or 5 different towers, a couple things I've learned:

- Pin connections are typically noisy on any tower..... probably the single biggest source of rattles on a tower.

- I'm also not a fan of the tower feet being on the side of the boat. They have a tendancy to hit docks & other boats easily. Mounting on top is definitely a lot safer & just as strong.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thanks for the link!

You could re- wire the tower and order the pins. Not sure if it would still have the movment?

I was wondering about that as well. I have looked at probably 1000 pics of towers on boats in the last month. I do think the feet on top would be better than the sides of the boat. Does anyone know if the Titan towers would mount on the top of the gunnel rails? If not - I'll ask them about it when I call next week.

Thanks for the link!

He said he still has the pins, he just used bolts instead since the pins let the tower move so much. Doesn't sound like a good deal. Tower movement is bad news, but the guy does have it on his boat backwards so what does that tell you about how well it was installed. Dontknow.gif I found a Skier on craigslist that has one of those towers on it. I'm going to call the guy and see how he likes it before I write it off.

martinarcher

I talked to a Skier owner who has a Big Air tower on his boat and he said he is happy with it. He said the only rattling he has is from the rings that are used to hold the mounting pins in their holes. I guess the loop through the end of the pins and just lay loose. I checked out their site and it looks like they have changed the way they mount to use a quick release knob that screws int the base. The only thing that concerns me is the tower is half stainless and half aluminum. The sides are stainless and the top is aluminum so if i polish it it might look a little funky in a couple years depending how the aluminum holds up.

It also looks like the tower mounts slightly to the side of the boat.

http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm

I talked to a Skier owner who has a Big Air tower on his boat and he said he is happy with it. He said the only rattling he has is from the rings that are used to hold the mounting pins in their holes. I guess the loop through the end of the pins and just lay loose. I checked out their site and it looks like they have changed the way they mount to use a quick release knob that screws int the base. The only thing that concerns me is the tower is half stainless and half aluminum. The sides are stainless and the top is aluminum so if i polish it it might look a little funky in a couple years depending how the aluminum holds up.

It also looks like the tower mounts slightly to the side of the boat.

http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm

Yea, those big feet might be a pain when your sitting next to a dock or tied to other boats. And since the front & rear feet are so close together, there isn't much option for mounting on the top.

Titan I all the way. Bang for your buck, great tower, strong and flex-free. Goes up and down in a snap. Get it in a DL-6 for a low-profile look, although the Titan II looks even better in a DL-6 for a few more bucks.

Monster does not use heim joints, they have an aluminum swivel block assembly that side mounts or top mounts. But the issue with the Monster is the connection at the top corner to keep it rigid. They used to use expansion bolts there, I believe they are using through bolts now. But even with through bolts they are not as solid as a Titan.

Peter :)

martinarcher

I think I am fully convinced that a Titan I is the way to go. We went underground today where the boat is stored to measure up the boat for a tower. I talked to Rocky at Titan and she said she would knock the powder coating cost off the Titan I and sell ti to me unfinished and then I can polish myself and save some $$. It's winter so I can work on that when I get some spare time. Shipping on these things is killer - they want between $200 and $250 to ship a tower! Lame.gif

Anyone have any pics of a Titan I folded? I haven't seen one folded yet and am curious how they lay down on the boat since the front and rear legs mount so far apart compared to other towers. Looks like on my boat there will be 79" between the front and rear leg mounts.

I haven't seen the DL-6. Is it a Titan tower as well? Got any pics? Their site only shows the Series I and Series II.

http://www.titanwake.com

Edited by martinarcher

This is the Titan II, same front legs as the Titan I. As you can see I use a board to prop the tower up over the windshield.

CIMG0455.jpg

I have 4 Dbot5 speakers across the top, which are probably 20+ lbs each. Plus a pair of SkySki racks on the back legs, like another 35 lbs each, and two bat racks for up to four wakeboards on the front legs. I'd welcome seeing any other tower to try that and be as rock solid as the Titan is.

martinarcher
This is the Titan II, same front legs as the Titan I. As you can see I use a board to prop the tower up over the windshield.

CIMG0455.jpg

I have 4 Dbot5 speakers across the top, which are probably 20+ lbs each. Plus a pair of SkySki racks on the back legs, like another 35 lbs each, and two bat racks for up to four wakeboards on the front legs. I'd welcome seeing any other tower to try that and be as rock solid as the Titan is.

Looks good - I like the board idea - simple yet effective.

No doubt! That's a bunch of weight and if thats all on your rack and if its solid than I have no worries about it on my boat! Sky skis are pretty heavy too!

I've seen pics of your boat all decked out with the racks filled and it looks schweet! Thumbup.gif

Thanks martinarcher,

I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the look of the Titan I or II all by itself. But load them up with a bimini, speakers, racks, boards, foils, etc., and the boat & tower look damn good. Plus the strength is unmatched, and they are very easy to fold down...... although 80+ lbs of speakers tend to make it a bit tougher.

martinarcher
Thanks martinarcher,

I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the look of the Titan I or II all by itself. But load them up with a bimini, speakers, racks, boards, foils, etc., and the boat & tower look damn good. Plus the strength is unmatched, and they are very easy to fold down...... although 80+ lbs of speakers tend to make it a bit tougher.

That's funny, I thought the same about that tower. It is just really spread wide front to back. I just like the swept look of the Big Air tower better, but after looking at your boats pics decided it looks a lot better with some gear on it. I have three racks ready. Before long I'll throw some speaker up there and it will look sweet! Thumbup.gif I want the best functioning tower I can get, looks are no good if it flexes! Shocking.gif