Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI Redesign

Hydrofoil

My point on hull improvements, things learned on one hull can be applied to see if they work on another hull. Examples of improvements to Malibu hulls include the changes in chines, strakes and hook to fine tune the performance of a specific hull.

3 hulls in the last decade under malibu ski boats: sv23, sv23 diamond, and sv23 cut diamond. I'm not sure what specific hull you're looking for with what boat, but there are reasons why Malibu has "moved on".

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• ed obermeier

• skisix@38

• Woodski

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My point on hull improvements, things learned on one hull can be applied to see if they work on another hull. Examples of improvements to Malibu hulls include the changes in chines, strakes and hook to fine tune the performance of a specific hull.

3 hulls in the last decade under malibu ski boats: sv23, sv23 diamond, and sv23 cut diamond. I'm not sure what specific hull you're looking for with what boat, but there are reasons why Malibu has "moved on".

Exactly, those are the items that Malibu has tuned to improve the SV23 Hull over the last decade. You are also correct in what Malibu has targeted, the expansion into the wakeboard growth market with an array of bigger wake specific boats. The bigger worry for this audience will be the survival of the key boat companies in this economy. If the car companies are having trouble staying afloat with products that are needed, those that manufacture a product that is hobby related will face very hard times. I wish them all the best and hope they can weather the storm.

IMHO, Malibu has done exactly what their ski boat customers have wanted over the last decade. First they tweaked the SV23 to provide a wake that is world class. Then they created a true world class open bow slalom boat, then, in repsonse to criticism that it was too easy to dump the bow, improved the hull, eradicated the dumping problem, and still managed to create a world class pull. When Malibu creates a new mold, those costs are sunk, so when new models are created, it still makes sense to offer the old designs. If Malibu sees a market, it will make a boat to fit it, and if there's a market for teh old design, will keep it too. The problem isn't Malibu's if only a handful of people want a true CB Response. If there is still an inboard barefoot market that exists (many have gone the outboard, ski-pro, or Sanger route), then it should make a CB response with the non-diamond SV23, which I would assume is sitting on a shelf in Merced. Because Malibu hasn't done this, I can only assume they feel there is no market for that boat.

I guess my point is, when everyone with complaints about the current line-up went to buy a boat, Malibu offerred a boat for your needs, and still do unless you're a barefooter. Even if you bought another brand, Malibu offerred a model for your needs, and I am confident they will continue to do so.

I think that this is exactly right.... They started to build the bigger water boats and the boats that held more peeps and provided a wake because peeps were buying their ski boats and trying to apply them in the above places and assesed a value to a boat that had more stuff for them to apply to bigger water and wake sports.... Good on Bu for listening!!!! Now, they have all the big water bows and big water riding boats to do wake sports and tubing and hold 15 peeps in their line up. So, I wish they would come full circle and make a ski boat that does all the things my RLXi does and with the newer speed control and can be purchased for max $35K out the door, that's not 21' long and 98" wide and not two arm lengths above the water

My last observation is that if the RLX was truly the hard core slalom boat offering for Malibu, why haven't I skied behind one in a tournament since 2003? I know someone is going to respond that the RLxi is the boat that Malibu wanted the promo guys to buy and with the bigger OB and more room the promo guys would have an easier time of re-selling it.... I get that. CC tried to do that with the 206 back in 2003 too and it didn't work, everyone complained about the 206 not being as good a ski boat as the 196 and so the very next year there weren't any pulling tournaments. In stark contrast to that the reports on the dock from the RLXi, that I experienced, were on the lines of "Yes, I go the Malibu to pull me this round". That held until 2007, when no one liked the boat because it was "too big", "too slow" and "doggy out of the hole". And skiers went back to being excited about the 196 again.

Slight hijack--Is there any chance that the doggy feeling of the new boats is the result of the new TBW? I have driven both a 196 with TBW as well as the new RLxi with TBW, and both felt less responsive than the older models with a mechanical throttle.

Yes, the same hull that they've used on that boat since '98.

According to the 2005 brochure (that I hunted down) both the RLX and RLXi were on the sv23 diamond. One was just wider than the other. That's curious....wonder if that's a misprint?

The 98-current Response/RLX is on a SV-23 Diamond hull, and is 20' long with a 90" beam. The 03-06 RLXi is on a SV-23 Diamond Hull, but is 20'6" long and is 93" wide. So yes, the hull design is the same, but it's not the same wetted hull. Weight and size are different.

The 07-up RLXi is a new animal, with a "Cut-Diamond" hull.

Peter.

IMHO, Malibu has done exactly what their ski boat customers have wanted over the last decade. First they tweaked the SV23 to provide a wake that is world class. Then they created a true world class open bow slalom boat, then, in repsonse to criticism that it was too easy to dump the bow, improved the hull, eradicated the dumping problem, and still managed to create a world class pull. When Malibu creates a new mold, those costs are sunk, so when new models are created, it still makes sense to offer the old designs. If Malibu sees a market, it will make a boat to fit it, and if there's a market for teh old design, will keep it too. The problem isn't Malibu's if only a handful of people want a true CB Response. If there is still an inboard barefoot market that exists (many have gone the outboard, ski-pro, or Sanger route), then it should make a CB response with the non-diamond SV23, which I would assume is sitting on a shelf in Merced. Because Malibu hasn't done this, I can only assume they feel there is no market for that boat.

I guess my point is, when everyone with complaints about the current line-up went to buy a boat, Malibu offerred a boat for your needs, and still do unless you're a barefooter. Even if you bought another brand, Malibu offerred a model for your needs, and I am confident they will continue to do so.

I think that this is exactly right.... They started to build the bigger water boats and the boats that held more peeps and provided a wake because peeps were buying their ski boats and trying to apply them in the above places and assesed a value to a boat that had more stuff for them to apply to bigger water and wake sports.... Good on Bu for listening!!!! Now, they have all the big water bows and big water riding boats to do wake sports and tubing and hold 15 peeps in their line up. So, I wish they would come full circle and make a ski boat that does all the things my RLXi does and with the newer speed control and can be purchased for max $35K out the door, that's not 21' long and 98" wide and not two arm lengths above the water

My last observation is that if the RLX was truly the hard core slalom boat offering for Malibu, why haven't I skied behind one in a tournament since 2003? I know someone is going to respond that the RLxi is the boat that Malibu wanted the promo guys to buy and with the bigger OB and more room the promo guys would have an easier time of re-selling it.... I get that. CC tried to do that with the 206 back in 2003 too and it didn't work, everyone complained about the 206 not being as good a ski boat as the 196 and so the very next year there weren't any pulling tournaments. In stark contrast to that the reports on the dock from the RLXi, that I experienced, were on the lines of "Yes, I go the Malibu to pull me this round". That held until 2007, when no one liked the boat because it was "too big", "too slow" and "doggy out of the hole". And skiers went back to being excited about the 196 again.

Slight hijack--Is there any chance that the doggy feeling of the new boats is the result of the new TBW? I have driven both a 196 with TBW as well as the new RLxi with TBW, and both felt less responsive than the older models with a mechanical throttle.

JJ- Start a different thread and I'll be happy to share my thoughts on this issue but, I've steered this off track enough and out of respect for those who are interested in the subject topic I'll not respond here. Or, PM me...

Hey JD, can I assume that my 2009 CBR will be on the sv23 diamond?

yep, as others have already confirmed. I split time between a CB response and an lxi. Both are excellent (obviously), but as to skisix's point regarding why he doesn't see CB responses pulling tourneys, I don't think the comparison is quite the same as the 196 v 206. The rlxi, arguably, is the more sought after wake, and therefore, since its inception, gets taken to pull tourneys. IF CC made a boat that skied, arguably, better than a 196, that happened to be an open bow, I would bet the tourney skiers would be happy to ski behind it, unlike the 206.

GT,

Yes I am still involved with that. We had a great year winning several races and championships along the way. It was pretty exciting and sad travelling from the US down to Baja, Mx via Tijuana with all the drug activity. One of our team vehicles had an attempted hijacking along the way earlier this year. The truly sad part is the vast majority of the people are so accomodating, friendly and enjoy the races it is really sad to see what the drug trade is doing. The fish tacos are still awesome.

FYI,

My 03 RLXi on the left, my buddies 07 on the right. These boats are together a lot. IMO, they're pretty close to being the same dimensions. A bit more freeboard on the 07 but didn't we all want to not take water over the front? Also, the 03 is a better footing boat, especially off of the boom, far less spray. I do think the TBW is not as crisp as the older "analog" setup.

MY $0.02.

MalibuParty07013.jpg

BTW, this is at the 07 No Wake Beach Party. Hands down the funnest weekend of the summer... Rockon.gif

I love the picture bareftskier. The lighting and the two boats together are Thumbup.gif .

All I can say is I love the handling and performance of my 07. I drive a CC196 a lot during the summer and I thin my RLXI is every bit as good and may handle a bit better. My be I am bias but I don't think so.

all i can add to this great discussion is that im more excited in waiting to see the new MC190/197 than anything malibu is doing right now...

all i can add to this great discussion is that im more excited in waiting to see the new MC190/197 than anything malibu is doing right now...

When they have more to improve upon I could see that.... Whistling.gif

So it'll still look like shamu charging down the lake? Tongue.gif

I second that thought! Malibu would do wonders for that boat to give it more of classic looking gel coat pattern. I have seen a newer RLXi with a more classic gel pattern and it wasn't all that bad. It's still too big of a boat for 98% of the boating I do.

I have already logged 2 hours of time for 09 in my 03 RLXi! 400 hrs on her in 5 years so I really hope to get another 5 years out of her and then I will figure out what to do then...

So it'll still look like shamu charging down the lake? Tongue.gif

I second that thought! Malibu would do wonders for that boat to give it more of classic looking gel coat pattern. I have seen a newer RLXi with a more classic gel pattern and it wasn't all that bad. It's still too big of a boat for 98% of the boating I do.

I have already logged 2 hours of time for 09 in my 03 RLXi! 400 hrs on her in 5 years so I really hope to get another 5 years out of her and then I will figure out what to do then...

I think their gel patterns these days are hideous. They used to stand out as the best looking boats by far, but no more. This years WSM BBG, I'd give them the award for ugliest boats. I too have seen one new RLxi with a more classic pattern and it did look much better, but most do look like a killer whale. I got to think new people are working at Malibu and making these changes. Maybe they came from Mastercraft.

I must say I have to agree with the last 5 posts, I am not a fan of the newer look / graphics of the Malibu line. To me, the look on the RLXi ends up just being disjointed and does not have much of a flow to it. Earlier models IMO were the best looking tourney ski boats on the market.

I've thought about buying a new boat, but since I primarily barefoot the purported spray issues on the 07's took care of that itch. I realize that there aren't a lot of barefooters out there, but from what I've read the slalom skiers aren't thrilled about the new hull either. So.................. I realize the economics (especially now), but count me in as one of those looking forward to a new RLXI hull. In fact, if the dark side came up with something better I would certianly be willing to look.

My 2 cents.

Just wanted to say HI ,I'm new so here is a round of BEER, cheers. I have a 07 LXI (just love it) ski Malones in central cal and own a 55 ft house boat. Come bye any time,just don't forget the limes. By the way I got my boat brand new for under 38 thou.

Just wanted to say HI ,I'm new so here is a round of BEER, cheers. I have a 07 LXI (just love it) ski Malones in central cal and own a 55 ft house boat. Come bye any time,just don't forget the limes. By the way I got my boat brand new for under 38 thou.

How'd you do that?

There are some crazy deals on new boats right now. Dealers that have gone under have had their inventory liquidated to other dealers who can pass those savings on. A mid-30's response lxi is a reality at one dealer I know...

What dealers in the northeast have gone under?

ECF hasn't gone anywhere, have they. Or Scott in CT?

BTW, Jack we aren't talking about your new boat. Your boat is beautiful. :)

Edited by 88Skier
BTW, Jack we aren't talking about your new boat. Your boat is beautiful. :)

Maybe so, but Jack is most definitely hideous, so it all evens out. Tease.gif

Thanks, Bruce. I was hoping that my choice of color scheme was one of the better ones. :) I really think it's more difficult to get a nice looking boat with the current color panels. It's definitely more of an 'edgy' graphics pattern. Kind of like Jerry, now that I think about it--he's an edgy SOB, but I don't want to get any more graphic than that. :lol: Well, except to tell him to :biteme: