Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cheap impeller puller.

DSC00388.jpgDSC00387.jpgI added a bit to Bills suggestion to use paint can openers to pull impellers and it worked great. Cost less than a buck for small screw and nut. Paint can openers free from paint store. I had 2 size openers and used the ones that were slightly longer and had a little longer lip for grabbing lid. Just drilled through and bolted 2 openers as shown. Then slightly bent the tips of openers in more to grab hub on impeller. I used it yesterday and my Globe impeller came out with a slight twist and tug. This pic is not my globe impeller but my damaged stock one from last year. No damage to Globe impeller. Much easier than the 2 needle nose vice grip attack I used last 2 years.

Right on, Denny! I've been watching the prices of pullers on Ebay for a while now & was going to pull the trigger on one soon.

Thanks! I'll make one right away! Hope the snow melts soon & I'll get a chance to use it!!

It popped my globe right out no hassels. I think being able to kinda wiggle side to side and rotationally helped a lot. When using 2 pair of vice grips, that wasn't easy to do. I wish I had another to proove it on but I'm done pulling till next year. Good luck to anyone else who tries it and let me know how it worked for you.

Awesome DIY and, right after you're done, you can open your beer as a reward !!

You've got two, so you can open one before you start and the other when your done!

It was a Saturday when I winterized so there was no waiting till job was done to pop a cold one. I used the twist a cold one over the pop method. No need to possibly damage my new impeller tool!

I have a V-drive (last year was my first with this boat) and will be changing the impeller in the spring. I heard that if you remove the cover to the pump housing and then "bump" the engine (turn her over with the saftey lanyard pulled) that the impeller completely loostens up and almost falls out. Is that true?

I have a V-drive (last year was my first with this boat) and will be changing the impeller in the spring. I heard that if you remove the cover to the pump housing and then "bump" the engine (turn her over with the saftey lanyard pulled) that the impeller completely loostens up and almost falls out. Is that true?

Well, it loosens it, that's about the best I can say. It was still by far & away the hardest part of the winterization process. I wish that I had known about this beforehand, would have saved me a lot of time, a sore back/neck, & a whole lot of "EARMUFFS!!" at the kids.

Well, it loosens it, that's about the best I can say. It was still by far & away the hardest part of the winterization process. I wish that I had known about this beforehand, would have saved me a lot of time, a sore back/neck, & a whole lot of "EARMUFFS!!" at the kids.

You'll want to squirt some lube in there before you bump the motor. I use binding lube which is actually baby shampoo. And when I say bump, I mean let the motor crank for about 4 revolutions.

Even with all of that, mine was a real bear to get out.

not mine: :)

amazing how close that looks to a battery terminal puller. I have a snap on puller that might work just as well on the impeller. Too bad I did not think of it until after I just changed it!

Mine was pretty tough to get out, I predict a 50% success rate on bumping the engine. :)

I should have kept idea to myself and started selling them on E-Bay. I would have to give Bill a cut too. The openers were his idea first. I just put em together. You think they would sell? How much they worth? Still need it to be prooven as working good every time. Need a few more of you to give it a try first.

I found the impeller comes out easily if when istalling, never-seize is applied to the splines of the shaft & the impeller. Just use caution no to get it on the impeller blades.

You should have made a ton of the pullers and sold them on e-day. I'm sure you still could because some people still couldn't make them, even with the great instructions you gave. LOL

I should have kept idea to myself and started selling them on E-Bay. I would have to give Bill a cut too. The openers were his idea first. I just put em together. You think they would sell? How much they worth? Still need it to be prooven as working good every time. Need a few more of you to give it a try first.

Hehe, bet it's worth a shot. You gotta think that the percentage of Malibu or inboard owners out there vs the number that read this forum..... there might be a big market for a tool like this. Thumbup.gif