Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing rim size

Malibutty

I have a Dorsey trailer and would like to update my rims and tires. Does anyone know what is the largest rims I can put on my trailer and still remain safe for the boat weight?

I want to put either 15" or 16" wheels on my trailer also. I have a T/A Boatmate. Should I look at "trailer specific tires", or would a ST or Light Truck tire work with a standard wheel and tire combo? Dontknow.gif

I want a black wheel with a polished lip... I saw someone on here once who had a great black/polished combo. Thumbup.gif

The main issue is offset of aftermarket wheels. You need something that's as close to a zero offset as possible. This will keep the wheel inside the fender. Width is also an issue, anything more than 7" wide will stick outiside of the fender and you'll need a wider fender kit. Bolt pattern in these trailers are 5x4.5.

As far as tires get something that's rated at least as much as the stock ones. I went with the same size setup that extreme offers as an option on their trailers. They use toyo proxis but I went with a tire that has a higher load rating on them. I've seen trailers with 20" tires on them but that's not much sidewall. I've got 17" wheels and 55 series tires on mine and I caught a curb just right pulling into a parking lot and caught the wheel just right on the curb and popped the tire. I could only imagine what it would be like with 20" wheels.

The other thing to think about is trying to keep as close to stock height as possibe especially if you keep your boat in a garage, larger wheels and tires will increase the height of the boat on the trailer.

Edited by 06vlx

If possible stay with a "C", "D" or "E" rated tire. Most trailer tires are "C" rated.

Go to tire rack.com and check out the height of your current setup. As an example if you have a 225/75 R 15C you could change to a 235/70 r 16 C which would have a similar diameter 29" versus a 28.3" Section width increases to 9.4" from 8.9" . Load rating is 2149# versus 2150# on stock.

I did this on my trailer. I have a friend who converted to passenger radials on his trailer and he had a blowout. However, I do not lnow if they were underinflated. I think it is important to use at least a "C" rating and inflate to the maximum sidewall pressure shown (often 44 # psi). I've never had a trailer flat on my boat trailers starting with my first boat in 1972.

Wheel offset is real important. You may need to shim your trailer fenders to fit. I did.

Edited by DONTW8