Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Powell houseboat dock burns, 20 boats lost

jayjoans

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705271727,00.html

Federal investigators are en route to a remote part of Lake Powell where 20 boats were destroyed in a marina fire.

The fire was reported about 11:23 p.m. Thursday by someone who called 911 reporting flames coming from the covered slips at the Halls Crossing Marina, a remote part of Lake Powell on the Kane/San Juan County border. National Park Service firefighters from all over responded, some flying up from Page, Ariz., to help.

Photographs provided to the Deseret News showed boats on the water engulfed in flames. There were more than 150 boats moored at the marina — firefighters saved about 130 of them.

"Some of the firefighters were literally pushing boats away from the docks to prevent more fires," said National Park Service spokesman Pat O'Driscoll. "They used a fire boat to tow burning vessels away from the burning marina."

Three boats sank into the icy 200-foot deep waters. The fire was finally extinguished about 3 a.m. Friday.

"We had concessionaires, anyone and everyone out there helping," O'Driscoll said.

The fire caused an estimated $5 million damage, the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area said. Investigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Utah State Fire Marshal's Office are en route to begin investigating the cause. Authorities said it was too early to say if the fire was suspicious or accidental. The slips do have electricity running into them, they said.

Anyone who was staying at the marina is believed to be safe.

"There just isn't anybody around there to speak of this time of year. People do stay on the boats this time of year for short periods of time," said Max King with the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. "We haven't confirmed that anyone was on a boat at this time. We believe if they were on there, they are safe."

Anyone with information on the fire is asked to call Glen Canyon authorities at 928-608-6301.

Federal investigators are en route to a remote part of Lake Powell where 20 boats were destroyed in a marina fire.

The fire was reported about 11:23 p.m. Thursday by someone who called 911 reporting flames coming from the covered slips at the Halls Crossing Marina, a remote part of Lake Powell on the Kane/San Juan County border. National Park Service firefighters from all over responded, some flying up from Page, Ariz., to help.

Photographs provided to the Deseret News showed boats on the water engulfed in flames. There were more than 150 boats moored at the marina — firefighters saved about 130 of them.

"Some of the firefighters were literally pushing boats away from the docks to prevent more fires," said National Park Service spokesman Pat O'Driscoll. "They used a fire boat to tow burning vessels away from the burning marina."

Three boats sank into the icy 200-foot deep waters. The fire was finally extinguished about 3 a.m. Friday.

"We had concessionaires, anyone and everyone out there helping," O'Driscoll said.

The fire caused an estimated $5 million damage, the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area said. Investigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Utah State Fire Marshal's Office are en route to begin investigating the cause. Authorities said it was too early to say if the fire was suspicious or accidental. The slips do have electricity running into them, they said.

"There just isn't anybody around there to speak of this time of year. People do stay on the boats this time of year for short periods of time," said Max King with the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. "We haven't confirmed that anyone was on a boat at this time. We believe if they were on there, they are safe."

Anyone with information on the fire is asked to call Glen Canyon authorities at 928-608-6301.

Dang that is rough. I agree - something you really wouldn't think would be a high risk to boats that are moored. Bummer for sure. Don't some of the members here ride on Lake Powell?

It happend at Don Pedro a few years back. It almost happened at Mc Clure last year on the one and only actual houseboat dock. Luckily even though it was mid-week several people noticed the fire quickly and pushed the boat out of the slip towards shore.

The other problem is lack of firefighting equiptment on houseboat docks and lakes in general. Go figure, water all around and nothing to pump it with.

In my nine years of houseboating on Mc Clure I am aware of four houseboats burning to the waterline. One unexplained, the other three were improperly vented propane refrigerators. Thats why all houseboats on Mc Clure now are required to have a propane sniffer/solenoid shutoff.

• 3 weeks later...
It happend at Don Pedro a few years back. It almost happened at Mc Clure last year on the one and only actual houseboat dock. Luckily even though it was mid-week several people noticed the fire quickly and pushed the boat out of the slip towards shore.

The other problem is lack of firefighting equiptment on houseboat docks and lakes in general. Go figure, water all around and nothing to pump it with.

In my nine years of houseboating on Mc Clure I am aware of four houseboats burning to the waterline. One unexplained, the other three were improperly vented propane refrigerators. Thats why all houseboats on Mc Clure now are required to have a propane sniffer/solenoid shutoff.

In all my years of boating, I've never taken note of that type of equipment at any marina.

1) The marinas aren't required to have that equipment on hand (probably the biggest reason).

2) It's kind of like the issue of the boat sliding off of the trailer - a lot of people think that it will never happen to them simply because it's never happened before. Silly logic (if you can call it that), but it exists nonetheless. It's never happened before, so they have no motivation to invest in the equipment. Pumps like that can be expensive, maybe not when you look at the big picture, but initial expense can be quite large. Very few people have it in them to be that proactive, since that money can always be used for something else.

As a business person, I understand this. But as a consumer, I think that if I saw that type of forethought I would think more highly of the outfit & what type of business that they run.

In all my years of boating, I've never taken note of that type of equipment at any marina.

1) The marinas aren't required to have that equipment on hand (probably the biggest reason).

2) It's kind of like the issue of the boat sliding off of the trailer - a lot of people think that it will never happen to them simply because it's never happened before. Silly logic (if you can call it that), but it exists nonetheless. It's never happened before, so they have no motivation to invest in the equipment. Pumps like that can be expensive, maybe not when you look at the big picture, but initial expense can be quite large. Very few people have it in them to be that proactive, since that money can always be used for something else.

As a business person, I understand this. But as a consumer, I think that if I saw that type of forethought I would think more highly of the outfit & what type of business that they run.

Shame this happened and what a pain to replace your boat through insurance and go through all that hassle.

Most businesses try and do the best possible while limiting expenses. Most customers go looking something as inexpensive as possible. The unfortunate situation is if businesses did above requirements, it probably would trickle down to the customer in higher prices and therefore many customers would go somewhere else. Not always, but many times. There are a ton of permits and regulations already that have to be followed; most are not looking to add something not required to the pile.

Pity.

I am keenly aware of the added costs involved in supplying fire protection. The other complication being someone has to be there to use it which isn't always the case in the off season.

The sad fact is though, if one boat on the dock catches the rest are going as well. The eight or so feet between them isn't enough to prevent radiated heat from one boat igniting another and so on.

That's why I'm glad our boats are on mooring balls, 120' apart.

Not probably, there would be a trickle down. It's up to the consumer to decide, unfortunately that's usually with their wallet.

LS is right though, there isn't enough space once something like that gets going. If someone is there to cut the ropes & push it out, that's one thing. Otherwise it's just going to turn into a domino effect.

Wasn't it Oroville that had a big fire year before last? They've got balls for the houseboats, but that's not going to help the smaller boats moored in the marina.

Not probably, there would be a trickle down. It's up to the consumer to decide, unfortunately that's usually with their wallet.

LS is right though, there isn't enough space once something like that gets going. If someone is there to cut the ropes & push it out, that's one thing. Otherwise it's just going to turn into a domino effect.

Wasn't it Oroville that had a big fire year before last? They've got balls for the houseboats, but that's not going to help the smaller boats moored in the marina.

There was the fire last year that was close to the lake, but I believe you're referring to the fire that occurred in '05 that came down to the waterline along the north fork.

Wonder how this fire started Whistling.gif but worse, how it got that out of control. Scary if your around it and have no clue what to do!

I've also always wondered about inside boat storage in mass and how that works? I'm sure the building has to carry fire suppression but can it really suppress a fire with boats stacked on each other with gas involved, etc. The boat storage I'm referring is on a lake where they put your boat in and out as requested. I bet there are several hundred boats in there. Fire departments are volunteer near my lake also.

We have our own boat dock, but many people use these types of facilities.

Another off the subject comment, is this boat storage went through bankruptcy as well and many customer boats got held under locked doors for a while until things got worked out. Not very happy customers.

We had a large marina fire around the Detroit area about two years ago. I think 150 boats lost. ( IMHO ) unless you have foam like at airports or if you don't stop it well its very small you just can't win. If you have ever seen fiberglass burn you will understand. If the boats are moored and you can get them apart you may hold it to a smaller number. The big boat storage stacked in shelving you better have a very good fire department and huge pumping capacity! Dontknow.gif

There was the fire last year that was close to the lake, but I believe you're referring to the fire that occurred in '05 that came down to the waterline along the north fork.

No, I thought that there was a fire in the marina one year that burned a dock or 2. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

No, I thought that there was a fire in the marina one year that burned a dock or 2. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

No fire that I've ever heard of, a storm in '03ish took out Lime Saddle....

No fire that I've ever heard of, a storm in '03ish took out Lime Saddle....

Tracie's right, there was a small fire at Bidwell a couple of years ago.

Here's the thread